What Price For Kitty?

Old February 21st 05, 10:39 PM
Steve G

Phil P. wrote:
(...)

Oh Stevie, I'm so flattered that my opinion is so important to you!

Who were you again?

S.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:41 AM
-L.

ceb wrote:

Such a cutie! I'm so sorry about her illness, that is so hard.

--Catherine

Thanks. What kills me is if it hadn't been misdiagnosed when she first
started having problems, the tumor may have been operable.

-L.

Old February 22nd 05, 06:15 PM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On 21 Feb 2005 09:04:13 -0800, "Hemmaholic"
wrote:

I think it would also be good to work at educating the people around
us. I am havning a hard time with various myths that people have about
altering their cats.

For example, two of my co-workers are a mother and son. They had a
female cat, and they felt they could not afford to get her fixed. So,
she had 4 litters of 4 kittens each, all in less than 2 years. So, we
finally convinced her to get the cat fixed.

Two weeks later, the cat got hit by a car and died. Now, we all know
that was some bad luck with the timing, and if the cat had been kept
indoors, none of that would have happened.

But now, the son, believes that they were wrong to get her spayed. He
thinks that the cat was hit by a car because her reflexes were dulled,
because spayed cats have duller reflxes.

I'm surprised the ghost of Darwin did not rise up and snatch this
boy on the spot.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:25 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-22, Meghan Noecker penned:

For example, two of my co-workers are a mother and son. They had a female
cat, and they felt they could not afford to get her fixed. So, she had 4
litters of 4 kittens each, all in less than 2 years. So, we finally
convinced her to get the cat fixed.

Isn't caring for a cat through four litters more expensive than spaying her in
the first place?

They haven't gotten another cat yet, but I know they will. And I don't know
how to convince him that the cat should be spayed and kept indoors. He
thinks that both are wrong, yet letting a young cat breed 4 times in 2 years
is extremely abusive in my opinion (as well as irresponsible), and letting
them outside is playing roulette with your cat's life.

This is sad. I had a friend who debated spaying his cat because he felt that
would be interfering with nature, and that nature is cruel and capricious. I
think I finally got through to him when I said, look, if the cat is allowed in
the house but the kittens aren't (another bizarre stance of his), then the cat
won't be able to fully care for the kittens, so you *are* interfering with
nature anyway. You should spay your cat so that she won't be put in a
position where she can't care for her kittens.

I don't know what I could have said if he'd had a boy cat.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 22nd 05, 08:13 PM
Ashley

On 2005-02-22, Meghan Noecker penned:

For example, two of my co-workers are a mother and son. They had a female
cat, and they felt they could not afford to get her fixed. So, she had 4
litters of 4 kittens each, all in less than 2 years. So, we finally
convinced her to get the cat fixed.

Isn't caring for a cat through four litters more expensive than spaying
her in
the first place?

Not if your definition of caring for her involves simply feeding her.

Old February 22nd 05, 08:29 PM
Magic Mood Jeep

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2005-02-22, Meghan Noecker penned:

[...]

Sorry - but I would NOT went to his house after the cat started spraying,
and told him WHY - un-neutered male-cat pee STANKS.

--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too) email me at

Old February 23rd 05, 02:58 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-22, Magic Mood Jeep penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I don't know what I could have said if he'd had a boy cat.

Sorry - but I would NOT went to his house after the cat started spraying,
and told him WHY - un-neutered male-cat pee STANKS.

Yup, that's probably what I would have said.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 23rd 05, 02:59 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-22, Ashley penned:

On 2005-02-22, Meghan Noecker penned:

For example, two of my co-workers are a mother and son. They had a female
cat, and they felt they could not afford to get her fixed. So, she had 4
litters of 4 kittens each, all in less than 2 years. So, we finally
convinced her to get the cat fixed.

Isn't caring for a cat through four litters more expensive than spaying her
in the first place?

Not if your definition of caring for her involves simply feeding her.

=/

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 23rd 05, 03:47 AM
Ashley

On 2005-02-22, Ashley penned:

On 2005-02-22, Meghan Noecker penned:

For example, two of my co-workers are a mother and son. They had a
female
cat, and they felt they could not afford to get her fixed. So, she had
4
litters of 4 kittens each, all in less than 2 years. So, we finally
convinced her to get the cat fixed.

Isn't caring for a cat through four litters more expensive than spaying
her
in the first place?

Not if your definition of caring for her involves simply feeding her.

=/

Yup, me too. But we're talking here of the mentality that says spaying is
too expensive.