Claws

Old March 4th 05, 05:20 AM
Mike Z. Helm

Default Claws

Since I've never owned a cat before, I'm wondering how often should
claws be trimmed.

She's an indoor cat probably about 8 months old (I've had her for 6 1/2
- I took her in because I thought it was too hot outside in August for
her to survive on her own).

I thought about declawing until I found out what that entailed and I
decided to see how bad she was and she's been very good. She has 3
scratching posts that she uses and 2 scratching pads that she doesn't.

Her claws don't seem like they're overly long, but it seems odd to me
that she can go this long without trimming them.

You can see the claws on 1 paw in this pictu

http://members.cox.net/zap644/pictures/cat_toy.jpg

Anyway, I bought clippers when I first got her, but don't feel
comfortable trimming them unless someone were to show me how to do it.
I know it doesn't feel good if I trim my nails to closely and I have no
idea where to clip a claw.

I guess I should ask my vet to show me - or do major pet stores do a
good job at that sort of thing and not charge an exorbitant fee?

PetCo is a helluva lot more convenient than her vet (literally more than
20 times longer to get to the vet than PetCo)

And about those scratching posts - they all have the rope wrapped around
them instead of being all carpet since she seemed to take to the rope on
the first one I got. 2 of them are shedding metal staples - I clean
them up as soon as I see them, but could these present a safety hazard?
Obviously they would if she swallowed one, and so far it seems she
hasn't.

I'm just wondering if there's some sort of consensus that there's not a
huge risk of cats swallowing these things. If I take them away, what
would I replace them with? I suspect the reason the 3rd post isn't
shedding staples is because it's relatively new.

There's a few more pictures of her he

http://members.cox.net/zap644/index.htm

(just the first 4 links are Kitty)
Old March 4th 05, 05:50 AM
Ashley

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
news
Since I've never owned a cat before, I'm wondering how often should
claws be trimmed.

She's an indoor cat probably about 8 months old (I've had her for 6 1/2
- I took her in because I thought it was too hot outside in August for
her to survive on her own).

I thought about declawing until I found out what that entailed and I
decided to see how bad she was and she's been very good. She has 3
scratching posts that she uses and 2 scratching pads that she doesn't.

Her claws don't seem like they're overly long, but it seems odd to me
that she can go this long without trimming them.

You can see the claws on 1 paw in this pictu

http://members.cox.net/zap644/pictures/cat_toy.jpg

Very pretty cat. I have to say, her claws don't look any longer than my two
indoor/outdoor cats' claws.

Old March 4th 05, 06:05 AM
-L.

Mike Z. Helm wrote:
Since I've never owned a cat before, I'm wondering how often should
claws be trimmed.

Based on the pic, they need to be trimmed. Trimming once a month will
do to keep them short - every couple of months works well for most
cats.

HTH
-L.
(former groomer)

Old March 4th 05, 06:33 AM
Karen

It's good to get her used to you handling her paws. I just snip the tips
off. Stay in the white part and you will be fine. Usually, I've found once a
month is good. However, my two are terrible about it, so I have to do them a
little at a time when they are sleepy. I've seen staples come out too, but
have never had anything happen with them. I get a bit concerned about it
too, but there isn't much I can think of to do about them.

My goodness she is beautiful!

Old March 4th 05, 08:29 AM
Alison

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
news
Since I've never owned a cat before, I'm wondering how often should
claws be trimmed.

They look about the same length as my cats. I don't think they're too
long but check the back ones too. The outside sheath of the claw falls
off so dont worry if you see them in the carpet or on the scratching
post.
Alison

Old March 4th 05, 09:04 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:33:43 -0600, Karen

My goodness she is beautiful!

Thank you - Kitty appreciates the complement

I added a few more pics from right after I took her in, but I've finally
maxed out the storage on this website so that's all for tonte.

Old March 4th 05, 10:32 AM
John Doe

Mike Z. Helm wrote:

She's an indoor cat

Cats make very good indoor-only pets.

I thought about declawing

The more you learn about cats, the more you realize how much they
depend on their claws. Their whole upper body is exercised by the
use of their claws. If they ever get outside, they depend on their
claws for self-defense and escape. And they use their claws for
play. Claws are an essential part of a cat.

(transposed)
Since I've never owned a cat before, I'm wondering how often should
claws be trimmed.

Her claws don't seem like they're overly long, but it seems odd to
me that she can go this long without trimming them.

Cats shed their claws. You might notice the shells lying around.
They do not have to be trimmed.

I'm just wondering if there's some sort of consensus that there's
not a huge risk of cats swallowing these things. If I take them
away, what would I replace them with?

The easiest is a 2x4 with a strip of carpet hot-melt glued to it.
You do not even have to wrap the carpet around the 2x4. It could not
be easier. You just cut a long strip of carpet at least 8 inches
wide and glue it to the length of the 2x4. Then, of course you just
lean the 2x4 up against a tall object. My cats have no problem
coping with the carpet edges. They know exactly where the 2 x 4
supports the carpet. By the way, hot melt glue is easily/neatly
removed using rubbing alcohol (I use a spray bottle).

Good luck.

Old March 4th 05, 12:20 PM
Mary

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
news
Since I've never owned a cat before, I'm wondering how often should
claws be trimmed.

She's an indoor cat probably about 8 months old (I've had her for 6 1/2
- I took her in because I thought it was too hot outside in August for
her to survive on her own).

I thought about declawing until I found out what that entailed and I
decided to see how bad she was and she's been very good. She has 3
scratching posts that she uses and 2 scratching pads that she doesn't.

I'm really glad you did not declaw her. It changes them and not in
largely good ways.

Her claws don't seem like they're overly long, but it seems odd to me
that she can go this long without trimming them.

You can see the claws on 1 paw in this pictu

http://members.cox.net/zap644/pictures/cat_toy.jpg

She is really lovely!

Anyway, I bought clippers when I first got her, but don't feel
comfortable trimming them unless someone were to show me how to do it.
I know it doesn't feel good if I trim my nails to closely and I have no
idea where to clip a claw.

I guess I should ask my vet to show me - or do major pet stores do a
good job at that sort of thing and not charge an exorbitant fee?

You should ask your vet to show you just for your own
comfort level. What we do is just cut the tips of your cats'
claws. I hold them and my husband clips their claws. If
your kitty is a wriggler I highly recommend having two
people there is you want to do it at home.

Old March 4th 05, 12:47 PM
.oO rach Oo.

Your cat is adorable!

I was a little nervous myself about the claw trimming. She looks like a live
wire so maybe wait until she is asleep or drowsy. There are several places
on the net that show how to trim the claws but suffice to say, you just make
sure you don't come anywhere near the pink part. Play with her paws a bit
and rub them a bit before to get her used to having her paws being touched.
If you are still a bit nervous, that's ok too... I am not sure about the pet
store but maybe call first and ask... if not, the vet it is. That's who
showed us first but we ended up looking it up on the net anyway due to
nerves. Let us know how it goes.

--
..oO rach Oo.

news

Old March 4th 05, 02:27 PM

Mike Z. Helm wrote:
[...]

The advice I received from my vet was "half way to the qucik" which is
where the pink begins. All the posts so far seem accurate, but you
should still have a vet show you how the first time. I often stroke
their paws between trimmings so they stay used to it and don't mind
attention to their feet.

Carl