Alaska OT

Old March 28th 04, 09:33 PM
Jo Firey

"Bev" wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

My mother lives in Alaska. The mozzies are only bad there for about a
month, and I've managed to miss them every time I visit, which is
usually in August.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the cruise. You'll see some beautiful country and
some awesome glaciers and icebergs. You'll probably see some wildlife,
too.

--
Joy

Life is what happens to you while you are planning to do something else.

"Tish S" wrote in message
om...
Bon voyage Bev - hope you have a wonderful trip! Don't forget the
mosquito repellant for Alaska, I gather that the blackflies and
mozzies in Alaska are quite fierce!

Tish
happy for Bev and furiously scratching my itchy feet!

Bev wrote in message

We have just booked a cruise to Alaska and hope to meet members of

the
group who might be unlucky enough to be in our path lol.

Here it is. We leave New Zealand on the 1st August and fly to San
Francisco for 3 days then onto to Vancouver for three days then do

the
two week cruise ending at Fairbanks. From there (tentatively) we

hope
to fly to Las Vegas where we will make enough money to pay for the

trip,
rofl and from there to Burbank, have a few days in LA and fly home.
Wheeeeeeeeee.

Haven't told the cats yet!!! Thought they might have to go into a
cattery but I think Kay (Ollie's x-slave) will be prepared to

house-sit
the kitties for the month we are away. She is between houses and

wants
to do a bit of house sitting for fun!

We have been away for a few days and put the kitties in the dreaded

cat
house with Kay's daughter Mandy (she lives next door) in charge.
Everything went swimmingly, the house is very cozy. Mandy thought
seriously about letting them out but thought she might never catch
them!!

Bev

Wildlife is always at the top of my priorities. I am getting very
excited already, When we went on our trip to Ireland and did a tour
through Sweden, etc. one of my nicest memories is of meeting Lena, her
parents and of course delightful kitties, also Elisabet. I have
already arranged to meet Junebug in Vancouver - three days there. Am
looking forward to Las Vegas - we last visited there in 1980 so guess
there will be big changes (John, we would love to meet you in Las
Vegas).

We have been to LA several times because we had some much loved cousins
there, sadly our cousin is now deceased and his wife in her eighties. I
don't know what her health is like - visitors may be too much for her
so we may just centre ourselves at a motel and see everyone from there -
would like to meet as many rpca people as we can. Incidentally we love
America and Americans - people there have always been wonderful to us.
We did a house exchange in Canada several years ago and found people
there very stand-offish. The people in the houses next door hardly
spoke to us and when we asked directions in Toronto there wasn't a smile
in sight!!!!
Must stop rambling, lol.

New Zealand temperatures are temperate - here in Napier it is 15c
average in winter (June, July and August). Spring is September
October. Our summer temps rarely reach over 30c and are usually around
26c in January February. We don't get snow in Napier so it is quite an
experience when we strike it anywhere else.

Bev

You will have fun in Alaska. My parents visited us there in August 1969.
And were quite surprised that there were still patches of snow in the hills
where we went camping. Big patches.

My daughter was born on Labor Day, September 1, 1969. At the time my DH and
my parents and I were hiking around on the Matanuska glacier east of
Anchorage and making silly comments about how labor day would be a good day
for our daughter to be born. We even have it on film. We were adopting and
knew only that the next girl was ours. Vicki was busy back in Anchorage
making her debut into the world.

Jo

Old March 28th 04, 10:07 PM
John Biltz

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:44:27 -0800, Bev wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I don't know when you visited Vegas but in August if you think Australia
summer temperatures I don't think you will be wrong. Figure about
105F/40.5C is the average high and it can get much worse. I'd love to
meet you guys. And your right you will not know the place.

Old March 28th 04, 10:16 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

That sounds like a lot of fun! Hope it is wonderful, and lots of
West-Coast catslaves can get together with you.

Sniff. Doesn't anyone ever come through Ohio???

Ginger-lyn

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:30:06 +1200, Bev wrote:

[...]

I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic.

Old March 28th 04, 10:37 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:21:05 GMT, "Yoj"
wrote:

I've never noticed the humidity when I visited in the summer. Of course
different areas may differ. Valdez doesn't get as hot as Fairbanks, for
instance. In Valdez, if it's 80 F, it's hot! Fairbanks can get up into
the 90's.

Joy

Can't remember now, after all it's been almost 30 years since I was
stationed there, but seems like they told us there were 4 or 5
different climate zones - you have to remember Alaska is BIG. I was in
Fairbanks, which is a long way from the coast. Like Joy said, it can
get pretty warm in summer and cold in winter. Actually, winters are
very dry, as I remember, really not that much snow, but nothing melts
from Sept to March. Then, once it starts melting in the spring it
turns kind of marshy until the runoff is complete, then dry again.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 28th 04, 11:27 PM
John Biltz

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:37:45 -0800, Steve Touchstone wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

I've never noticed the humidity when I visited in the summer. Of course
different areas may differ. Valdez doesn't get as hot as Fairbanks, for
instance. In Valdez, if it's 80 F, it's hot! Fairbanks can get up into
the 90's.

Joy

Can't remember now, after all it's been almost 30 years since I was
stationed there, but seems like they told us there were 4 or 5
different climate zones - you have to remember Alaska is BIG. I was in
Fairbanks, which is a long way from the coast. Like Joy said, it can
get pretty warm in summer and cold in winter. Actually, winters are
very dry, as I remember, really not that much snow, but nothing melts
from Sept to March. Then, once it starts melting in the spring it
turns kind of marshy until the runoff is complete, then dry again.

When I was in the Army a guy from Texas said Alaska can't be much bigger
than Texas, another guy who just came from there who was also from Texas
told him if you cut Alaska in half and made them both states Texas would
be the third largest state. Curious, I looked it up and if you took two
Texases out of Alaska it would leave a Florida.

Old March 29th 04, 12:23 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

John Biltz wrote:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:11:32 -0800, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote
(in article ):

Bev wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Evelyn, I sure hope to meet LA members. I don't know how many live in
LA. When we have been to LA in the past we have always stayed with my
cousin in Burbank. We possibly will this time but as she is now in her
eighties and I am not sure about her health we might just grab a motel
and have people visit us there. When I have it all organised I will
post our addy and phone number in LA. We won't be doing any driving in
LA for obvious reasons, i.e. we drive on the other side of the road and
traffic in LA terrifies me, lol. So people will have to visit us.

I can sympathize! I learned to drive in LA, so that doesn't bother me
(although I try to avoid freeways whenever possible, and find as I grow
older I tend to limit any night driving). However, the car rental
company would have to pay ME to drive in NYC (and even then, I'd
refuse)!

I had to drive briefly in Japan, they to drive on the wrong side of the
road. I kept turning on the windshield wipers when I meant to give a
turn signal and a traffic circle almost did me in. But what is really
dangerous is you look in the wrong direction first out of habit at
intersections.

When I was in London a few years ago, I noticed that the pedestrian
cross-walks by most of the hotels were posted with "LOOK RIGHT" signs.
Old March 29th 04, 02:15 AM
Jo Firey

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

I had to drive briefly in Japan, they to drive on the wrong side of the
road. I kept turning on the windshield wipers when I meant to give a
turn signal and a traffic circle almost did me in. But what is really
dangerous is you look in the wrong direction first out of habit at
intersections.

When I was in London a few years ago, I noticed that the pedestrian
cross-walks by most of the hotels were posted with "LOOK RIGHT" signs.

Yes, that is one of their efforts to protect tourism. A great many tourists
have stepped off the curb in front of busses and cars there, while carefully
looking the other way.

Jo

Old March 29th 04, 04:16 AM
badwilson

Bev wrote:

[...]

I'd guess that driving in LA *or* NYC would be a cakewalk compared to
driving in Bangkok. I have only driven there twice, when Dennis first had
his back operation last year. It was ok because it was mainly highway
driving. But once you get off the highway and onto the smaller roads, it is
SCARY!!! Mostly because they are completely oblivious to what is going on
around them, fearless of death and mutilation, and also because of the
swarms of motorbikes that weave through traffic. And if you get into an
accident as a foreigner, it is *always* your fault, no matter what really
happened.
I do drive around here, to Pattaya or Rayong, etc. That is scary enough.
But when Dennis is away and I go to Bangkok I take the bus.
The only problem I have now is that I've become so used to driving on the
left side of the road, I'd be afraid to drive on the right again!
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's covered