Kidney Failu What might she Eat now ??

Old April 8th 05, 07:20 PM
Just Conservative

Default Kidney Failu What might she Eat now ??

We guess that three year old Bandit got poisoned
around Christmas time, but we didn't notice her
kidney failure until about a month ago when she
got lethargic, and noticed a huge weight loss.
Right now it looks like life-long sub-q hydration
might be needed if she survives at all. A few
days ago, she was also diagnosed with a kidney
infection.

We're just trying to find something she'll (Bandit) will
eat. After first aid and hydration, she started
2 weeks ago with a voratious appetite for anything
wet, and has become progressively fussy.
We had to stop giving her the KD prescription diet cuz
she wasn't eating it. Now she's starting to turn her
nose up at tuna, her former favorite, and now we've found
some ocean brew she seems to like alright. But what
if she eventually refuses that too? Any suggestions?

Things do not look good. Not just a lack of improvement.

Old April 8th 05, 07:28 PM
CatNipped

"Just Conservative" wrote in message

We guess that three year old Bandit got poisoned
around Christmas time, but we didn't notice her
kidney failure until about a month ago when she
got lethargic, and noticed a huge weight loss.

Do you know how she got poisoned?

Right now it looks like life-long sub-q hydration
might be needed if she survives at all. A few
days ago, she was also diagnosed with a kidney
infection.

What are they giving her for the kidney infection?

We're just trying to find something she'll (Bandit) will
eat. After first aid and hydration, she started
2 weeks ago with a voratious appetite for anything
wet, and has become progressively fussy.

Yeah, subQ fluids can make a drastic improvement. How often is she getting
fluids?

We had to stop giving her the KD prescription diet cuz
she wasn't eating it. Now she's starting to turn her
nose up at tuna, her former favorite, and now we've found
some ocean brew she seems to like alright. But what
if she eventually refuses that too? Any suggestions?

Braised chicken, baby food meat (no onions), Fancy Feast - at least those
are the things *my* Bandit would eat when she was injured. Basically,
*anything* you can get her to eat is better than her not eating.

Things do not look good. Not just a lack of improvement.

Sending purrs for her, I'm sorry she's so ill.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 8th 05, 07:57 PM
default

Can you try Science Diet x/d (the *minced* is MUCH better than the regular
kind). That is what my kidney failure kitty eats. I mix it with a little
scoop of the dry x/d so his teeth get a work out.

-Janet

Old April 8th 05, 08:37 PM
CatNipped

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
news:1112987572.8406b3fee96ea8143f449434829d7263@t eranews...
CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Braised chicken, baby food meat (no onions), Fancy Feast - at
least those are the things *my* Bandit would eat when she was
injured. Basically, *anything* you can get her to eat is better
than her not eating.

That's way too much protein for a kidney cat.

Yes, you're right, it is. But you'll note that I qualified that with
"*anything* you can get her to eat is better than her not eating."

If she's not eating the
prescription diet, like Kami, try the Science Diet food. The adult
formula salmon is a ground seafood flavor with protein and phos values
close to the prescription, or if she likes the chunks and gravy kind,
the adult Savory Cuts Ocean is good. Kami changed her mind about
chunks and is eating the senior beef and the adult salmon, and doing
very well.

You'll note the OP said that the cat *WAS* on prescription diet but was
starting to refuse to eat it. Of *course* a diet specifically designed for
the problem a cat is having is the best course, but eating anything at all
is better than letting a cat die of liver disease from starvation.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Brandy Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx

Old April 8th 05, 08:37 PM
Mary

"Just Conservative" wrote in message

We guess that three year old Bandit got poisoned
around Christmas time, but we didn't notice her
kidney failure until about a month ago when she
got lethargic, and noticed a huge weight loss.

I am so sorry this happened to her. At three years
old or any age.

Right now it looks like life-long sub-q hydration
might be needed if she survives at all. A few
days ago, she was also diagnosed with a kidney
infection.

We're just trying to find something she'll (Bandit) will
eat. After first aid and hydration, she started
2 weeks ago with a voratious appetite for anything
wet, and has become progressively fussy.
We had to stop giving her the KD prescription diet cuz
she wasn't eating it. Now she's starting to turn her
nose up at tuna, her former favorite, and now we've found
some ocean brew she seems to like alright. But what
if she eventually refuses that too? Any suggestions?

Things do not look good. Not just a lack of improvement.

Lots of people will chime in, I feel sure of it. In the mean time,
please try a Google search for the topic "CRF" for this group.
There have been many discussions here over the years.

Old April 8th 05, 09:19 PM
CatNipped

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
news:1112991199.c55dd4fe50fdf6cd98827ff05211eac7@t eranews...
CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Yes, you're right, it is. But you'll note that I qualified that
with "*anything* you can get her to eat is better than her not
eating."

You're right, I'm sorry. It's juts that you listed chicken and baby
food first before other premium diets that cat might like. But you're
right--when it comes down to eating or not eating, anything is better
than nothing.

I know, I cringed at some of the things I was offering *my* Bandit to eat
when she was injured - I'd *NEVER* give her some of those things if I could
have gotten her to eat something better for her.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 8th 05, 09:57 PM
Helen

"Just Conservative" wrote in message

We guess that three year old Bandit got poisoned
around Christmas time, but we didn't notice her
kidney failure until about a month ago when she
got lethargic, and noticed a huge weight loss.
Right now it looks like life-long sub-q hydration
might be needed if she survives at all. A few
days ago, she was also diagnosed with a kidney
infection.

I'm not clear why you think she was poisoned, but toxins are more likely to
cause acute renal failure, whereas it sounds like Bandit has chronic renal
failure.

We're just trying to find something she'll (Bandit) will
eat. After first aid and hydration, she started
2 weeks ago with a voratious appetite for anything
wet, and has become progressively fussy.
We had to stop giving her the KD prescription diet cuz
she wasn't eating it. Now she's starting to turn her
nose up at tuna, her former favorite, and now we've found
some ocean brew she seems to like alright. But what
if she eventually refuses that too? Any suggestions?

Things do not look good. Not just a lack of improvement.

You don't give any bloodwork, but there are a number of possible causes of
inappetance in a CRF cat, and any which are present need to be addressed to
help her appetite return:

http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms_tr...ts_index.htm#L

It might also be that the antibiotics you are giving for her infection are
also contributing to her inappetance. In the meantime, this page should
help, particularly the Persuading Your Cat To Eat section:

http://www.felinecrf.org/diet_and_nutrition.htm

I also suggest you join the CRF Support list, link on homepage of above site

HTH

Helen

Old April 10th 05, 05:54 PM
Just Conservative

Kidney Failu What might she Eat now ??

Thanks tons everybody for everything!

I passed on your info to the care givers,
and the google link in case they anything
to add. I dont know the bloodwork details, etc.

It was a second vet who detected the infection.

No, we dont know what if anything poisoned her.
It's just a guess. Suspected is spider (house)
plants, and anti-freeze. Half the web sites
say spider plants are non toxic, but many say
they are toxic. She was munching on them.
She did escape outside around Xmas time. The
environment is mountainous, elev 6,000 ft,
pine and fir trees, with partial snow cover.
(Near Tahoe.)

I wonder, what, besides poison could cause this?

Old April 10th 05, 06:13 PM
Mary

"Just Conservative" wrote in message

Kidney Failu What might she Eat now ??

Thanks tons everybody for everything!

I passed on your info to the care givers,
and the google link in case they anything
to add. I dont know the bloodwork details, etc.

It was a second vet who detected the infection.

No, we dont know what if anything poisoned her.
It's just a guess. Suspected is spider (house)
plants, and anti-freeze. Half the web sites
say spider plants are non toxic, but many say
they are toxic. She was munching on them.
She did escape outside around Xmas time. The
environment is mountainous, elev 6,000 ft,
pine and fir trees, with partial snow cover.
(Near Tahoe.)

I wonder, what, besides poison could cause this?

I think it "just happens" to some cats, although rarely
cats so young. I am not sure the always know.

Old April 11th 05, 01:30 AM
Just Conservative

Thanks again for all the tips and purrs.

The battle is over.
We feel we took the right steps in what is now a lost
battle. It took only 2 weeks for her to degrade to
the point where we felt, on Dr.'s advice, the best
option for Bandit was to let her go. All the poking,
prodding, confinement etc. contributed to a bad situation
getting worse. In the end, she was too weak for a
transplant.

We miss her bunches and are sad.