CRF/Kidney Transplant

Old April 23rd 05, 09:14 PM
WildWestCats

Default CRF/Kidney Transplant

One of my kitties, Tribble, was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with CRF.
She had lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, which is what
precipitated a vet visit. Blood tests showed her BUN to be 64 and her
creatinine 5.3. For now, we're trying to manage this through diet. I
have 4 other cats and we tried for a week to stop the freefeeding and
have everyone on a schedule with Tribble being set aside in a room with
her special diet. That didn't work. We're back to freefeeding but
everyone is now eating Eukanuba Multi-Stage Renal diet and twice a day
they get Hi-Tor Neo diet, a Canadian canned food and the only one that
Tribble so far will deign to touch. Trib is hypokalemic so twice a day
she also gets Tumil-K. She's anemic, too, but the vet and I have
decided that before trying something for that, we're going to see what
her values are a month from the last time they were checked.

Tribble has never been a big eater and now she's even less so. We had a
vet visit this morning to check her weight, which is stable. When I
initially brought her in, she was 6.5 pounds (down from 10 at her last
weight check which was in 2003). The next week, after the set feeding
time debacle, she was 6.3 and she's still there today. She's also
started to swallow and gulp a lot - the vet says she is most likely
nauseous, which is a common CRF trait and he also says there's nothing
to be done about this.

Despite all this, Tribble's activity levels haven't changed and she's
still her same old punky self except she's a lot more lovey and clingy
lately.

My vet and I talked about kidney transplants. He did one in the mid 90s
but hasn't had any experience since then with them. He did say that if
we were going to go with that option, that we needed to make the
decision soon.

I was hoping that someone here could give my any insight, advice, tips,
etc. I know no one has a crystal ball but, generally speaking, how long
do transplants extend a CRF kitty's life? How do you determine if it's
worth it? Like I said, Trib is punky and she has the kind of attitude
where I think she'd do fine. I have another cat with slightly
dysfunctional kidneys, Shadow, and I'd never do a transplant with her.
She would be appalled and horrified and, really, I think the shock and
stress would finish her off. Trib is the complete opposite.

And, if anyone has any idea of the expense involved, that would be nice
to know, too. The vet said when he went through it, it was about $5K.

Thanks for any help,
Tiffany

--
Cat Mania -- a Kitty Pot-purr-oui!
http://cat_mania.tripod.com

Old April 23rd 05, 09:29 PM
CatNipped

"WildWestCats" wrote in message

And, if anyone has any idea of the expense involved, that would be nice
to know, too. The vet said when he went through it, it was about $5K.

Cost depends a lot on where you are, I've heard it's about $7,000. Here are
some links that might help:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CCAH/U...ransplant.html

http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/dss/mcanu.../generalinfo.h
tml

http://www.post-gazette.com/healthsc...01hkidney3.asp

Hugs,

CatNipped

Thanks for any help,
Tiffany

Old April 23rd 05, 09:44 PM
Cathy Friedmann

[...]

Yes, there is: Pepcid, for example, cur into mini cat-sized doses.

Here'as a website about CRF which is very, very user-friendly & full of
helpful info.
www.felinecrf.org

Despite all this, Tribble's activity levels haven't changed and she's
still her same old punky self except she's a lot more lovey and clingy
lately.

My vet and I talked about kidney transplants. He did one in the mid 90s
but hasn't had any experience since then with them. He did say that if
we were going to go with that option, that we needed to make the
decision soon.

This is a very iffy way to go...

Cathy

Old April 23rd 05, 11:56 PM
Helen

"WildWestCats" wrote in message
One of my kitties, Tribble, was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with CRF.
She had lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, which is what
precipitated a vet visit. Blood tests showed her BUN to be 64 and her
creatinine 5.3.

You don't mention sub-Qs but she probably needs them.

http://www.felinecrf.org/diet_and_nu...cription_foods

Trib is hypokalemic so twice a day
she also gets Tumil-K. She's anemic, too, but the vet and I have
decided that before trying something for that, we're going to see what
her values are a month from the last time they were checked.

If her anaemia is severe, and you don't do something about it quickly,
frankly she could be dead before you get time to treat it. I'm not a
scaremonger, I'm deadly serious - untreated anaemia can kill a CRF cat long
before the CRF does. Oh, and anaemia is a major cause of inappetance.

http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm

Tribble has never been a big eater and now she's even less so. We had a
vet visit this morning to check her weight, which is stable. When I
initially brought her in, she was 6.5 pounds (down from 10 at her last
weight check which was in 2003). The next week, after the set feeding
time debacle, she was 6.3 and she's still there today. She's also
started to swallow and gulp a lot - the vet says she is most likely
nauseous, which is a common CRF trait and he also says there's nothing
to be done about this.

In that case, I would question the competence of this vet.

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#RWPB

Despite all this, Tribble's activity levels haven't changed and she's
still her same old punky self except she's a lot more lovey and clingy
lately.

My vet and I talked about kidney transplants. He did one in the mid 90s
but hasn't had any experience since then with them. He did say that if
we were going to go with that option, that we needed to make the
decision soon.

Aha, his real goal. If you're going to go this route, you need to understand
that it's simply another form of treatment, it is *not* a cure. And if
you're going to opt for one, for God's sake find a nephrologist who is
highly skilled in this form of surgery.

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....ey_transplants

I suggest you read the site and educate yourself (start with the Quick
Summary page), then look around for a vet more experienced in treating CRF.

HTH

Helen

The answers to 99.9% of your CRF questions can be found he
http://www.felinecrf.org

Old April 24th 05, 12:35 PM
Spot

You have to consider not only the cost of the transplant but the maintenance
medications that the cat will need to take for the rest of it's life. These
medications are extremely expensive!!! I have a kidney transplant myself
and if I didn't have health insurance I would be looking at out of pocket
expenses of close to 24000.00 a year just for medications alone. I know a
cat wouldn't be taking nearly as much as human but I would think you would
be looking at the area of 3000.00 to 5000.00 a year on drug cost alone.

Celeste