Cats With Colds

Old January 28th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Puss The Bounty Hunter

Default Cats With Colds

What to do with a cat who is sick with a cold, but can't get to a
doctor right away.

I know you can't give them certain kinds of pain relievers, but I
don't know what is best to buy OTC.

Can anyone help?

Puss is miserable.

Old January 28th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Puss The Bounty Hunter

On Jan 28, 11:34 am, "Matthew" wrote:
"Puss The Bounty Hunter" wrote in ...

What to do with a cat who is sick with a cold, but can't get to a
doctor right away.

I know you can't give them certain kinds of pain relievers, but I
don't know what is best to buy OTC.

Can anyone help?

Puss is miserable.

I am sorry but unless a vet tells you to give them anything YOU DON'T.
You can seriously hurt the furball if you self treat

Also are you sure it is a cold and not something else?

No, I'm not sure of anything except that she has allergies. She is
sneezing and wheezing and miserable is all I know. I talked to my
(human) doctor a minute ago and he told me to give her benedryl. If
you think that's unsafe, I will call the vet. She was just seen a
couple of weeks ago, and I can't afford to take her back right now. I
just want to relieve her misery as much as I can.

Old January 28th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Puss The Bounty Hunter

On Jan 28, 12:11 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
[...]

Human doctor does not dosage that is why he is a human doctor. ;-)

You can call your vet and ask advice for free. SInce you were just there not to long ago. My personal vet I can call and ask any question

YOUR vet will tell you the proper amount of benedryl to use.

Please call your vet first

the doasge should be half an adult tablet maybe twice a day but this will knock your cat out
chlortimeton, same dosage, half a tab (a tab is 4 mgs, so that is 2 mgs) twice a day.

Thanks. Her congestion is seriously bad right now. I will call the
vet. I am very worried about her.
Old January 28th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Puss The Bounty Hunter

On Jan 28, 12:33 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
[...]

Lets us know if we can help with anything else?
medications and cats are one thing never to mess with you will never
forgive yourself if anything happened

Okay, I'm waiting on the vet to call me back.

She's so sick she won't eat her tuna fish. Does that tell you
anything?

Old January 28th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

This sound more like an upper respitory infection and she need seen by a vet
to be treated. Allergies do not make them get that congested.

Celeste

Old January 29th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Puss The Bounty Hunter

On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, "Spot" wrote:
[...]

She's going to the vet tomorrow. He told me that I can give her the
antihistamine, but she is gagging up entirely too much "ook" for me
not to worry. I think she needs to be seen.

Thanks, all.

Me & Puss

Old January 29th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, "Spot" wrote:
This sound more like an upper respitory infection and she need seen by a
vet
to be treated. Allergies do not make them get that congested.

Celeste

"Puss The Bounty Hunter" wrote in

On Jan 28, 12:11 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
"Puss The Bounty Hunter" wrote in

On Jan 28, 11:34 am, "Matthew"
wrote:
[...]

Sorry about the 90 days after the rain advice. You can also put her in a
steamed up bathroom and see if that helps with the congestion. I used to run
a cool mist humidifier for some of my fosters when they got bad URIs. That
of course was in addition to a visit to the vet for appropriate meds. The
concern is that if the cat can't smell it won't eat. Heat up some smelly wet
food or baby food (read the label and make sure it doesn't contain onions)
as was already suggested. If the cat isn't eating much you can pick up some
nutrical at a local pet store and add that to the wet food.

Good luck with the kitty.

Wendy

Old January 29th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Mon 28 Jan 2008 07:04:05p, Puss The Bounty Hunter wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav

.com:

She's going to the vet tomorrow. He told me that I can give her
the antihistamine, but she is gagging up entirely too much "ook"
for me not to worry. I think she needs to be seen.

In the meantime, see if you can get at least some food into her.
If you can get some baby food (all meat, no onions as they are
toxic to cats) and see if she'll lick it off your finger or a
spoon. Warm it just a tiny bit so the smell is stronger. If she
won't lick it, you can wipe it on the inside of her mouth so
she'll swallow it. If you don't have access to baby food, you can
try blending some tuna, or cooked chicken, or even some chicken
broth without salt or other additives.

Good luck. I have dealt with this so much with my youngest two
when they were small and they didn't want to eat when they
couldn't smell it.

--
Cheryl

Archer and Ozzy had problems with URIs (Feline Herpes Virus, or FHV) when
they were small too. Their eyes were all goopy with pus, their noses were
constantly running and they were sneezing every few minutes. Besides
antibiotics from the vet for any secondary infection, I took the advice of
the fosterer I got them from and gave them L-Lysine. This worked absolute
wonders on them. It took a while to take effect completely (about 2 weeks),
but once the goopy eyes and runny noses were gone they never got it again.
I keep all 5 of my cats on a maintenance dose now (the virus is still "live"
even in remission and the L-Lysine helps keep it from being transmitted to
my older cats). I crush 1/2 500mg tablet into each 3oz can of food twice a
day (my 5 cats eat 4 3oz cans of Fancy Feast twice a day) and their eyes are
always clear and healthy now
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnip.../100_1195.jpg).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 29th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Jan 29, 8:55 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

[...]

Do not give that sick cat cognac.