So worried - what could this be?

Old February 6th 05, 03:58 PM
sarah

Thanks for all the replies.

Just a bit of an update. My cat was discharged from hospital this morning as
she is now eating and a lot brighter.

She has been sent home with the potassium supplement (Kamilox 2mg twice per
day to start with). It's a liquid that goes on her food.

I've also been told to halve the dose of Fortekor and she goes back for a
check up on Friday.

As an aside - her paw is very swollen and twice the size of her other paw.
She's refusing to walk on it at the moment. (She had the drip in on this
leg).

I've never noticed such swelling before or her refuse to put her foot on the
floor. I rang the vet who said she's been wee'ing on her bandage so they had
to keep changing the bandage - whilst the bandage was off she tried to chew
out her drip line! Apparently the swelling should go down in a day or so.

She's very tired but happy to be home.

I'm very tired too - but happy to have her back. Sunday afternoons are
definitely made for snoozing - which is what we'll be doing.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies, information, suggestions and good
wishes. The future is still uncertain but now she's on the potassium
supplement and on less Fortekor, hopefully things will settle.

I've given her a target of growing out her shaved patches before she needs
anything further (other than the check up) from the vet.

regards to all

sarah

Old February 9th 05, 05:22 AM
Rhonda

Sarah,

How is your kitty? Hope she's better by now. Is he paw less swollen?

Rhonda

Old February 9th 05, 09:59 AM
sarah

Hi Rhonda

My cat is much better and so far today has been the best since being back
home. Although physically I think she is now ok she has seemed a bit
depressed which is understandable - but today she's back to her usual
'chatty' self. I think the last spell in hospital was worse for her than
before.

Her paw has gone down to the right size now although I think her leg is a
bit sore still.

She's going back to the vet on Friday evening for a check up.

She is taking her potassium supplement really well - it just goes on her
food and she's now on half a dose of the Fortekor. Hopefully these measures
will sort her out and stabilise things.

It's just me who needs cheering up now as I can't stop worrying. I must be
driving my other half mad!

sarah

Old February 10th 05, 03:38 AM
Rhonda

Hi Sarah,

I'm glad your cat is better. She sounds like a tough cookie.

I'm sure her leg is sore after all of that swelling, but what a great
sign that it's gone down already! My boyfriend had surgery awhile ago
and his foot/ankle swelled up enormously. It turned out they had damaged
the lymph system, which is like a spider-web of nearly invisible little
lines. It took a couple of months for it to return to normal. I'm glad
your girl is better so quickly.

I hope they've fixed the problem. I know how hard it is living with a
cat with a chronic condition, each thing that happens is so scary. The
cats don't worry, though, they're great. They just keep doing their
best. You've just got to love their spirit.

Take care,

Rhonda

Old February 11th 05, 08:04 PM
Enid

Dear Sarah --

You are a wonderful cat mom to your kitty. I will be praying for her
to make a full recovery. It is so upsetting when our cat kids are
sick. One of mine (Lapkitty) is diabetic, as am I. Since I lost my
job last year, I can no longer afford his shots, and I am no longer
able to pay for my meds. He seems to be doing ok. I am very strict
about feeding him now.

Regards,

Enid

Old February 11th 05, 08:29 PM
sarah

Hi Enid

Thanks for your prayers. I'm sorry to hear about you losing your job. It
must be really hard being diabetic never mind having a diabetic cat too!

In the UK people who are out of work can get a reduced rate for pet
medications. It's still expensive though. If you are not in the UK - perhaps
there is similar scheme where you are? Maybe a local pet rescue centre may
be able to help with reduced rate medication for your cat - perhaps in
return for some voluntary work? It's worth a try.

regards

Sarah

Old February 11th 05, 08:45 PM
Karen

"sarah" wrote in message
Hi Enid

Thanks for your prayers. I'm sorry to hear about you losing your job. It
must be really hard being diabetic never mind having a diabetic cat too!

In the UK people who are out of work can get a reduced rate for pet
medications. It's still expensive though. If you are not in the UK -

perhaps
there is similar scheme where you are? Maybe a local pet rescue centre may
be able to help with reduced rate medication for your cat - perhaps in
return for some voluntary work? It's worth a try.

regards

Sarah

It is worth a try to look or ask around at vets to see if there is a
program. I know we have one here that buys food and medicine for pets of
elderly and disabled people.

Old February 13th 05, 04:45 AM
Enid

Thanks, Sarah. There are no programs here (south New Jersey) that I
know of. How is your cat? What is her name?

Lapkitty will be 12 on March 10th. He keeps getting a cyst-like thing
under his chin, near his jaw. I keep expressing it, cleaning it and
applying antibiotic cream. It eventually dries up and goes away, but
it keeps coming back. I have no idea what it is -- perhaps an allergy?
He is my loving, purring best buddy. He loves to sit in my lap and
put his paws over my heart. He sits and purrs for the longest time. I
hope he will be okay.

-Enid

Old February 13th 05, 05:06 PM
sarah

Hi Enid

Maybe your cat just has some sort of small abscess that needs removing by
the vet?

My cat is definitely much better - despite the fact she is usually too
ladylike to RUN round the house - so it was that she was RUNNING round the
house this morning chasing goodness knows what whilst some of us were trying
to sleep off the night shift.

Still, it was music to my ears after recent events.

Her name is Izzy

regards

Sarah