please advise

Old February 13th 05, 06:26 AM
john greenwood

Default please advise

I have a three year old cat, lives indoors and out, He will only eat dry
food but lately has been vomiting it back up, undigested. This past day he
vomited a large amount and since that time he has been listless and appears
to be ill. He spills his water dish and then hangs his head over the dish.
but doesn't drink. He is also off his food today.
He also seems to be bloated or has gained weight. Would a worm infestation
cause these symptoms, although we haven't seen any visible indication.

Can anyone help with this, we live in a very rural area and a considerable
distance from a vet clinic.

thanks for any advice

john

Old February 13th 05, 10:01 AM
MaryL

"john greenwood" wrote in message
I have a three year old cat, lives indoors and out, He will only eat dry
food but lately has been vomiting it back up, undigested. This past day he
vomited a large amount and since that time he has been listless and appears
to be ill. He spills his water dish and then hangs his head over the dish.
but doesn't drink. He is also off his food today.
He also seems to be bloated or has gained weight. Would a worm infestation
cause these symptoms, although we haven't seen any visible indication.

Can anyone help with this, we live in a very rural area and a considerable
distance from a vet clinic.

thanks for any advice

john

You really need to see a vet *immediately,* even if it is a considerable
distance. This type of problem cannot be diagnosed over a newsgroup, and
you listed *several* factors that can be signs of serious medical problems
in cats (vomiting, doesn't eat or drink, bloating).

MaryL

Old February 13th 05, 10:26 AM
I.P.Freely

[...]

Agree, could just be a hairball stuck in the digestive tract or something
more sinister. Get to a vet regardless of the distance asap!
--
I.P.Freely

Old February 13th 05, 10:32 AM
Phil P.

[...]

Absolutely! This cat needs to see a vet *immediately*. Bloating could be a
sign of pyothorax or chylothorax - which are treatable if a diagnosis and
treatment begin quickly.

Phil

Old February 13th 05, 02:08 PM
Joe Canuck

john greenwood wrote:
I have a three year old cat, lives indoors and out, He will only eat dry
food but lately has been vomiting it back up, undigested. This past day he
vomited a large amount and since that time he has been listless and appears
to be ill. He spills his water dish and then hangs his head over the dish.
but doesn't drink. He is also off his food today.
He also seems to be bloated or has gained weight. Would a worm infestation
cause these symptoms, although we haven't seen any visible indication.

Can anyone help with this, we live in a very rural area and a considerable
distance from a vet clinic.

Better start driving NOW.

thanks for any advice

john

Old February 13th 05, 04:15 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"john greenwood" wrote in message
I have a three year old cat, lives indoors and out, He will only eat dry
food but lately has been vomiting it back up, undigested. This past day he
vomited a large amount and since that time he has been listless and

appears
to be ill. He spills his water dish and then hangs his head over the dish.
but doesn't drink. He is also off his food today.
He also seems to be bloated or has gained weight. Would a worm infestation
cause these symptoms, although we haven't seen any visible indication.

Can anyone help with this, we live in a very rural area and a considerable
distance from a vet clinic.

thanks for any advice

john

I hope you've already called that distant vet clinic & have taken off for
there...

Cathy

Old February 13th 05, 05:18 PM
Spot

Number one rule, when a cat doesn't eat and is listless get it to the vet
ASAP. There is something definitely wrong.

Celeste

Old February 14th 05, 04:24 PM
john greenwood

Thanks for the advice folks, the main reason I asked for help is that to
access a vet I have to drive 180 miles, we live in a remote corner of the
north and travel is quite restrictive in the winter months. I was hoping
someone might recognize the symptoms so we could administer some help the
cat in the meantime, it could be many days before we can make that trip, .

Remote and rural living has it's disadvantages occasionally but the long
summer days, and the wildlife make up for it.

once again thanks you all mean very well, warm regards to everyone.

john.

p.s the cat is still alive and we are doing our best to make him
comfortable.

Old February 14th 05, 05:14 PM
Mary

"john greenwood" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice folks, the main reason I asked for help is that to
access a vet I have to drive 180 miles, we live in a remote corner of the
north and travel is quite restrictive in the winter months. I was hoping
someone might recognize the symptoms so we could administer some help the
cat in the meantime, it could be many days before we can make that trip, .

Remote and rural living has it's disadvantages occasionally but the long
summer days, and the wildlife make up for it.

once again thanks you all mean very well, warm regards to everyone.

john.

p.s the cat is still alive and we are doing our best to make him
comfortable.

Why do you live in such a place? What happens when you get
sick? Jesus.