Triple vaccine side-effects - follow-up

Old May 29th 05, 12:44 AM
PawsForThought

PawsForThought wrote:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pawsreflect/vaccinosis.html

I read this article 'cause I'm in agony about vaccinating an old cat
(15) for rabies. She has been a feral and even though she's lived with
us for many years successfully, she *keeps her distance*. Even the vet
we trapped her for and took her to for initial vaccinations and
neutering said don't ever put her through vet trauma again if at all
possible. (I am not making this up, he really said "it's just not
worth it for anyone involved." And this guy has the reputation of
being THE most compassionate barn-vet in our region.)

I guess you need to weigh the benefits vs non-benefits of vaccinating
this cat. Some vets now believe that vaccines last much longer, and
possibly even provide life long immunity. Here's another article you
might find interesting.

"Dr. Ronald D. Schultz, Ph.D..- "Annual revaccination provides no
benefit and may increase the risk for adverse reactions. The percentage
of vaccinated animals (those vaccinated only as puppies) protected from
clinical disease after challenge with canine distemper virus, canine
parvovirus and canine adenovirus in the study was greater than 95%."
Current and Future Canine and Feline Vaccination Programs. Dr. Ronald
Schultz is a Professor and Chair of the Department of Pathobiological
Sciences at the School of Veterinary Medicine, UW-Madison. Schultz,
R.D. - Current & Future Canine & Feline Vaccination Programs. Vet Med
3: No. 3, 233-254, 1998 more. A chart provided in the report shows
immunity levels for all vaccines currently given to dogs lasting a
minimum of 5 years with most lasting 7-15 years!"

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm