Onyx: Up on a Roof

Old April 11th 05, 11:12 PM
Susan Zeigler

Default Onyx: Up on a Roof

I am kitty. Hear me ROAR.

King of this land. Master of this domain they call Colorado. Regally
perched high on my throne, I can see every inch of my kingdom. My neck
arches with sleek grace as I gaze over my dominion.

It is a rich land, full of wonderous things. Trees, bushes, flowers,
hiding places, and a bounty of every type of food imaginable. My heart's
desire can all be found here. My lady-in-waiting caters to my every whim
and I am satisfied. Fearful I might try to conquer other lands, she has
tethered me while she disappears for a while each day. Of course, she
doesn't realize I can climb up here and survey my land. What does she
think? That I might come to harm? This is MY land after all. Nothing
would DARE to harm me here.

Ok, ok, so there WAS that little incident the other night. I didn't
really mean to worry her. I just heard something outside on MY porch.
And of course I streaked out to investigate when she opened the door
ever so slightly to peer out. Perhaps someday she will forget.

Standing, I slowly arch my back in pleasure. Perhaps it is time to wash
my sleek fur once again.

Wait. What's that? My lady-in-waiting approaches! Quick, I must descend
before she can see me.

Oops. Too late. I have been spotted. Ah well.

Nonchalantly I descend the ramp down to this room she calls "deck". Her
eyes wide in shock--does she actually think I might fall? I would never
fall, I am a cat! I distract her by reaching up, stretching and placing
my paws on her chest. She lifts me into her arms of course--that ploy
works every time. Mmmmmmm, warmth.

Perhaps tomorrow I shall survey my kingdom again. For now, I shall sip
my milk and allow my lady-in-waiting to amuse me.

In loving memory of Onyx, ruler of my home.
September 2, 1989 to April 11, 1999

When we first moved to Winter Park, Onyx was only 8 1/2 months old.
Coming from an apartment to this wilderness was a royal treat for him.
Our deck back in Iowa overlooked a parking lot. The house in Colorado
that we stayed in backed up against woods and had a tremendously large
deck. He escaped the second night, leaping out of my arms when I
stupidly opened the door a crack to look out and see what kind of animal
was making noise outside. I started tethering him to the deck railing so
he could play outside on the deck. I never dreamt he would climb onto
the roof.

As it turned out, the deck railing continued up at an angle on one side
of the house. He would hop onto the railing, walk around it and then
right on up to the roof. That first day, when I saw him sitting up
there, I freaked. I decided right then and there that if he was going to
be outside, he should be outside safely. The tether came off and that
was that. For many days afterwards I would find him perched up on the
roof when I came home from work.

-Susan
--

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands
of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

Copyright © 2005 Susan E. Zeigler
All Rights Reserved

Old April 11th 05, 11:49 PM
Hopitus

I know you still miss Onyx, just as I still miss beloved Dur-Dur, the
original Hopitus, Mr. Fuzz, and many other
cats who still live in my heart and memory.
Sounds like Onyx had a long and happy life with his lady-in-waiting catering
to his climbing instincts, with total
understanding of his species.

Old April 12th 05, 12:32 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 11 Apr 2005 06:12:51p, Susan Zeigler wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

snip Onyx story regrettfully!

In loving memory of Onyx, ruler of my home.
September 2, 1989 to April 11, 1999

What a loving tribute. It looks like Onyx was quite a character.
Thanks for sharing some of him!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old April 12th 05, 01:04 AM
CatNipped

"Susan Zeigler" wrote in message
I am kitty. Hear me ROAR.

snip great story

Lovely story, Susan. Thanks for sharing with us!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 12th 05, 03:42 AM
Takayuki

Susan Zeigler wrote:

King of this land. Master of this domain they call Colorado. Regally
perched high on my throne, I can see every inch of my kingdom. My neck
arches with sleek grace as I gaze over my dominion.

I love Onyx and his Lady-in-waiting. The domain of Colorado, yes a
wondrous place. If you go out for a walk, better wear a hat, because
there are no trees and no shade. In some places, you can manage to
find trees, but no air. Very pretty overall though.

Old April 12th 05, 04:19 AM
jmcquown

Susan Zeigler wrote:
[...]

What a lovely tribute to a special kitty. Thanks, Susan.

Jill

Old April 12th 05, 04:47 AM
Julie_Snowshoe

Susan Zeigler wrote:
[...]

Susan! Welcome back. Always subject topics that include Onyx are the
first I read. I love all the poems written by and for Onyx. I hope
you'll share more of these poems and prose with us. We miss Onyx as
well.

Julie
who's discovered darvocet and 10 mg of ambien make a nice cocktail.
Now if I can just get that cock to share its tail....here chicky chick
chick.

Old April 12th 05, 04:49 AM
Victor Martinez

Lovely tribute, thank you for sharing.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 12th 05, 05:09 AM
Marina

Susan Zeigler wrote:

In loving memory of Onyx, ruler of my home.
September 2, 1989 to April 11, 1999

I'm so sorry about your loss. He sounds like a wonderful character. This
was a beautiful tribute.

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and introducing: Mere!

Cat Set On Fire, Tossed Off School Roof Bill Cat health & behaviour 10 March 23rd 05 05:05 AM
Jake and the Roof Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 1 February 15th 05 12:40 AM
Rosie on the roof LOL Cat anecdotes 11 August 11th 04 08:42 PM
Feral Cats & Roof Rats Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 39 January 19th 04 12:33 AM
Feral Cats & Roof Rats Cat Protector Cat rescue 4 January 17th 04 07:20 AM