70 Cats - Oh My

Old April 19th 05, 06:34 AM
bigbadbarry

Default 70 Cats - Oh My

I worked with a lady, she stood there and told me
she had no less than 70 (seventy and no dollars) CATS.

I start prying into this phenomenon...and
she knew thier names, thier medicines..and so on...

70 Cats

Old April 19th 05, 06:38 AM
Mary

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
ups.com...
I worked with a lady, she stood there and told me
she had no less than 70 (seventy and no dollars) CATS.

I start prying into this phenomenon...and
she knew thier names, thier medicines..and so on...

70 Cats

That's what many call "a collector." The sad thing is, what
often happens is that one day they get overwhelmed and
just lock the cats in and leave them. You see this on the news
all the time. Think about it. How can you care for 70 cats?

Old April 19th 05, 06:52 AM
bigbadbarry

Yeah, I thought about some kind of intervention...

Never heard of a cat collector; I figured this lady was the only one.

She needed an adoption drive or something.

She had a privicy fence; and said...about 1/2 stayed outside
1/2 stayed inside...just a constant hum of coming and going.

Originally she had 2 or 3 then the cats started multi-level marketing
scam on her.

Old April 19th 05, 08:03 AM
Mary

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, I thought about some kind of intervention...

Never heard of a cat collector; I figured this lady was the only one.

No, they are everywhere. It is kind of sad because they mean well
but wind up doing harm.

She needed an adoption drive or something.

She had a privicy fence; and said...about 1/2 stayed outside
1/2 stayed inside...just a constant hum of coming and going.

That doesn't sound too bad.

Originally she had 2 or 3 then the cats started multi-level marketing
scam on her.

That's why the first thing to do is spay and neuter the kitties!
Nips that kind of scam in the bud.

Old April 20th 05, 01:22 PM
Ron Herfurth

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
ups.com...
I worked with a lady, she stood there and told me
she had no less than 70 (seventy and no dollars) CATS.

I start prying into this phenomenon...and
she knew thier names, thier medicines..and so on...

70 Cats

Did she "collect" and speuter all 70 or did she just bring home a few and
let them multiply?
Are they all current on shots and does a vet see each and every one of them
every year?
Is she rich or going broke feeding them?

I have 19 right now and figure if I ever get to 24 that's 2 vet visits a
month - that would be the absolute total maximum I could possible handle.
ron

Old April 20th 05, 06:47 PM
Mary

"Ron Herfurth" wrote in message

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
ups.com...
I worked with a lady, she stood there and told me
she had no less than 70 (seventy and no dollars) CATS.

I start prying into this phenomenon...and
she knew thier names, thier medicines..and so on...

70 Cats

Did she "collect" and speuter all 70 or did she just bring home a few and
let them multiply?
Are they all current on shots and does a vet see each and every one of

them
every year?
Is she rich or going broke feeding them?

I have 19 right now and figure if I ever get to 24 that's 2 vet visits a
month - that would be the absolute total maximum I could possible handle.
ron

Ron, how do you handle 24 cats?

Old April 21st 05, 06:58 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1114019212.562d9bf01a8da417829952b53cf81414@t eranews...

[...]

Actually it's only 19 right now. Assembly line meals (10 individual dishes
and one community dish ) twice a day. Paper plates saves washing. Luckily
the ones that have been sick lately will eat a pill that's been squshed into
their slice of canned food. 4 scheduled cleanings of all 11 litter pans each
day and anytime one of them smells I go ahead and check all 11. Lots of cat
beds along with the sofa and chairs. ( $ 10 and $15 dollar cat beds were
one of my better investments ) Several scratching posts. Toys don't get a
lot of attention though. I've got a budget for each month that includes an
annual vet visit for everyone. That's why I said 24 would be the max since
I couldn't afford 3 vet visits in any one month.
What I couldn't handle would have been not rescuing them. For the strays at
work, once I trapped and spayed them it was easier to feed them at home than
feed them at work.

ron

Old April 21st 05, 07:54 PM
Mary

"Ron Herfurth" wrote:

[...]

This sounds like a full-time job, and what a huge expense. Do they need
some toys? Do you feel they have enough to occupy them? I am wondering
how big your place is. So they have scratching things? You have a little
mini-
shelter going there! I bet some people might be interested in sending along
a few kitty gifts if you think they need some stimulation.

What I couldn't handle would have been not rescuing them. For the strays

at
work, once I trapped and spayed them it was easier to feed them at home

than
feed them at work.

What a good soul you are. Have you already posted photos, or
do you have a web site?

Old April 21st 05, 07:58 PM
dgk

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:58:26 -0400, "Ron Herfurth"
wrote:

[...]

But sometimes they have to go for an off-schedule visit, no? I thought
three was one too many for me. Jackie just died and I'm not thinking
of getting another. They each require a certain amount of attention
and three was really pushing it. I mean, Nipsy comes up and meows and
wants to be picked up and petted, Espy wants his treats but doesn't
want to be picked up. Well, I'm sure you have it worked out.
Old April 21st 05, 08:22 PM
Ron Herfurth

wrote:

[...]

That's the problem, with that many I sometimes don't notice who's missed a
few meals for several days; then it could be a rush visit to the emergency
vet. It's also hard to determine exactly which one is not using the litter
pan. I've got 3 (or is it 4 ) sick ones right now so there's off-scheduled
vet visits but that's what credit cards are for, right? About half are feral
rescues that don't want a lot of attention, just a warm dry place to sleep.
I have things for the rest to climb on.
ron