Cats and birds

Old November 22nd 04, 06:21 AM
avalanche

Default Cats and birds

I used to love feeding birds. But Bert has been known to bring home
bird pieces...yeah, he goes out.

Anyone figured out how to feed birds safely with cats?
Old November 22nd 04, 09:01 AM
Hilly

"avalanche" wrote in message
I used to love feeding birds. But Bert has been known to
bring home bird pieces...yeah, he goes out.

Anyone figured out how to feed birds safely with cats?

Set-up a ground-level feeder in your backyard, and make sure there's plenty
of stalking aids (like tall grass, medium-sized rocks, etc.)

That should allow both birds *and* cats to feed... safely.

Heck, you would be just helping mother Nature along, right?

:-)

--
Hilly.

Old November 22nd 04, 10:59 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I used to love feeding birds. But Bert has been known to bring home
bird pieces...yeah, he goes out.

Anyone figured out how to feed birds safely with cats?

I have bird feeding stations up off the ground, in the trees, where the birds
are more agile than a cat. I also hang feeding stations off hanging basket
holders around the outside of the house. Somehow the birds seem to know that a
cat inches away, but behind glass, cannot get to the bird. My cats *rarely* get
birds - their preferred prey are small rodents with the odd larger one, such as
rats thrown in for good measure, along with rabbits, moles and the occasional
pheasant...

Chers, helen s

**$om $

Old November 22nd 04, 09:37 PM
BC

avalanche wrote:
I used to love feeding birds. But Bert has been known to bring home
bird pieces...yeah, he goes out.

Anyone figured out how to feed birds safely with cats?

Put the bird food up high, on a table or hanging from a tree in an
exposed area so the birds can see the cat coming early. You can also
put a bell on your cats collar so the birds can hear him. Your cat will
also help to keep the rodents away that are attracted to the fallen bird
seed.

--
Badger Badger Badger

Old November 24th 04, 04:39 PM
Adrian

BC wrote:
avalanche wrote:
I used to love feeding birds. But Bert has been known to bring home
bird pieces...yeah, he goes out.

Anyone figured out how to feed birds safely with cats?

Put the bird food up high, on a table or hanging from a tree in an
exposed area so the birds can see the cat coming early. You can also
put a bell on your cats collar so the birds can hear him. Your cat
will also help to keep the rodents away that are attracted to the
fallen bird seed.

Of course the more birds you attract, the more pairs of eyes to spot a
predator and raise the alarm.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 24th 04, 10:50 PM
Gary Stone

Balance of nature. Heck, where I live, there are birds that can eat my
cats.

Stone

"avalanche" wrote in message
I used to love feeding birds. But Bert has been known to bring home
bird pieces...yeah, he goes out.

Anyone figured out how to feed birds safely with cats?

antifreeze warning Caroline S. Cat anecdotes 34 March 7th 04 08:10 AM
Cats hunt birds, but... Hans Schrøder Cat anecdotes 6 January 15th 04 05:11 AM
Cats and Birds Brad Snow Cat anecdotes 7 November 23rd 03 09:41 PM
Cats and birds? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 16 October 15th 03 04:49 AM