[OT] an avian visitor

Old March 16th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] an avian visitor

I went for my first physical therapy session today (the therapist
diagnosed neck cramp brought on by years of bad posture, and will be
training me in a series of exercises to correct the problem as much as
possible). The building was overheated, so the therapist propped a
door to the outside open. Midway through the session, a mockingbird
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Mockingbird) came walking
through the room, and I told the therapist, "You have a visitor." He
followed the bird into a corner of the room, and was preparing to
throw a cloth over the bird, but ended up being able to scoop it up
with his bare hands. He carried the bird out the open door, and
released it. It made a frantic series of chirps while he was carrying
it, but within a minute or two of being released, was back to singing
its territorial song (imitations of various other birds' cries)
outside the still-open door. The therapist joked that the other
mockingbirds would make fun of this one for having been distracted
enough that a human could catch it bare-handed.

I told him about the story that a friend of mine had once told me.
This friend is the pastor of a country church, and once had a squirrel
get into the church office. After having tried for several minutes to
chase it outside, he finally propped all of the church's doors open
and went on errands for a couple of hours. When he returned, the
squirrel was gone, but two opossums, a skunk, and a groundhog were
having a "fellowship dinner" in the church's kitchen!

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old March 16th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:28:32 -0600, John F. Eldredge
wrote:

[...]

P.S. The bird was able to fly, as it made an unsuccessful attempt to
fly out the closed glass window before landing back on the floor and
being scooped up by the therapist. I think that it was just
distracted enough by the unfamiliar surroundings to not notice that it
was about to be captured.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old March 16th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-16, John F Eldredge penned:
I went for my first physical therapy session today (the therapist
diagnosed neck cramp brought on by years of bad posture, and will be
training me in a series of exercises to correct the problem as much
as possible).

I started going to my chiro for back pain, but an unexpected benefit
was better posture and (because of it) getting half an inch taller! I
can actually stand up straighter than I could before all of this work.

Granted, it's taken about two years for that to happen, but with the
better posture and no back pain, it's worth it!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 16th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-16, John F Eldredge penned:
I went for my first physical therapy session today (the therapist
diagnosed neck cramp brought on by years of bad posture, and will be
training me in a series of exercises to correct the problem as much
as possible).

I started going to my chiro for back pain, but an unexpected benefit
was better posture and (because of it) getting half an inch taller! I
can actually stand up straighter than I could before all of this work.

Granted, it's taken about two years for that to happen, but with the
better posture and no back pain, it's worth it!

It took me over a year of physiotherapy with accupunture to get
over my shoulder pain and stiffness. The physiotherapist said its from
my poor posture. There was little improvement until she used accupunture.
These day the discomfort came back when I don't keep up with the prescribed
exercises.

Winnie

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 16th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-16, W. Leong penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I started going to my chiro for back pain, but an unexpected
benefit was better posture and (because of it) getting half an inch
taller! I can actually stand up straighter than I could before all
of this work.

It took me over a year of physiotherapy with accupunture to get over
my shoulder pain and stiffness. The physiotherapist said its from my
poor posture. There was little improvement until she used
accupunture. These day the discomfort came back when I don't keep
up with the prescribed exercises.

I'm glad to hear that it helped, though.

I have an appointment with an acupuncturist next week (he comes highly
recommended, but I had to wait a while for an appointment because he
is so popular) ... I'm hoping it will help with my wrist. Right now I
am doing massage therapy, structural integration, and soon acupuncture
for this stupid wrist ... I hope that something works!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 16th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-16, W. Leong penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I'm glad to hear that it helped, though.

I have an appointment with an acupuncturist next week (he comes highly
recommended, but I had to wait a while for an appointment because he
is so popular) ... I'm hoping it will help with my wrist. Right now I
am doing massage therapy, structural integration, and soon acupuncture
for this stupid wrist ... I hope that something works!

I had accunpunture on my hand many years ago. I had repetitive stress on my
hand. It helped. I have regular massage therapy over the years and they are
very helplful. What is structural integration?
Just make sure the acupuncturist is a qualified one and disposable needles
are
used. I heard horror stories on accupunture.
My physiotherapist was newly trained in accunpunture.
I should have gone to a more experienced one.

Winnie

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 16th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-16, W. Leong penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I had accunpunture on my hand many years ago. I had repetitive
stress on my hand. It helped. I have regular massage therapy over
the years and they are very helplful. What is structural
integration?

Structural integration is also called rolfing. They manipulate the
faschia (sp?) and try to get your body to align better. It's kind of
like the soft tissue complement to chiro.

Just make sure the acupuncturist is a qualified one
and disposable needles are used. I heard horror stories on
accupunture. My physiotherapist was newly trained in accunpunture.
I should have gone to a more experienced one.

My massage therapist swears by this guy. She says that she is afraid
of needles, but he is so gentle that she isn't bothered. But I'll
pay close attention.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 17th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message

. Midway through the session, a mockingbird
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Mockingbird) came walking
through the room, and I told the therapist, "You have a visitor."

Our little buddy is back. He/she sounds like an older cell phone ring tone.
It was very unnerving the first time I heard it three years ago. That ring
tone was still popular then and a bunch of us were standing outdoors
talking. The bird sang the cell tone and five people groped for their cell
phones.

Pam S. who didn't have a cell phone at the time, but made sure that she has
a different tone now.

Old March 17th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

John F. Eldredge wrote:

[...]

Great stories, thanks!
BEst wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Visitor wafflycat Cat anecdotes 13 February 12th 06 08:43 AM
Visitor, picture Adrian Cat anecdotes 9 January 30th 06 10:38 PM
A visitor dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 32 September 5th 04 07:46 PM
Visitor cat John F. Eldredge Cat anecdotes 2 July 5th 04 01:33 PM
I have a visitor wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX Cat anecdotes 34 August 12th 03 09:41 PM