"Get your butt home NOW" purrs needed!!

Old June 26th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default "Get your butt home NOW" purrs needed!!

wrote:
Takayuki wrote:

It's terrible not knowing

I keep thinking I hear her meowing at the door. This morning I was
petting Licky, who was curled up in front of me while I was at the
computer. All was peaceful until I heard what I was sure was Smudge
at the front door. I leapt up and ran to the door. Of course, nobody
was there, and when I turned around, I saw Licky crouching under the
rocking chair, looking very wary, poor boy! Every time I hear any
kind of high-pitched sound - a kid yelling, a door squeaking, etc -
I think it's Smudge. I really hate not knowing.

I was out all day today, knocking on doors and leaving flyers when
nobody answered. So far, I haven't heard anything from anybody,
although when I've actually spoken to neighbors - people I myself
hadn't even met before - they all knew who Smudge was. She's a very
friendly cat and apparently has gotten to know many people in the
neighborhood. (Which also makes me wonder - what if someone decided
they wanted her to become *their* cat? Their *indoor* cat?)

What could have happened to her? If she was hit by a car, wouldn't
someone have seen her lying in the road? Wouldn't I have seen her?
She wears a collar with ID, so if someone did hit her and they took
her to the vet, I should have gotten a call. That's why I think she's
probably in someone's garage or something like that. Or maybe she
got lost. Do cats get lost? I thought they had a good sense of
direction.

Bumming out,
Joyce

Joyce, I think there's a good probability that someone has her indoors.
Kids will do that, esp. since Smudge is so friendly.
I don't remember if you said you called animal control or went down
there, but I wanted to suggest to NOT call them, go in person. I've
seen so many times mix-ups over the phone; or the person who actually
knows something is absent that day. You have to go yourself, and ask to
look at all the cats. Giving them a description IMO isn't good enough.
(not with the bunch that runs ours, anyway). Be sure to ask if they've
removed any cats hit by cars off the street. I know that isn't
something you want to think about, but if you haven't seen her, and AC
hasn't either, that means she is probably still okay somewhere.
Don't give up so soon, for sure. Yoda went on a 2-day walk-about once.
I had decided he was a goner and he sauntered up on the 3rd day like
nothing happened.
Good luck, lots of purrs. I know how worried you are.

Sherry

Old June 26th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
I keep thinking I hear her meowing at the door. This morning I was
petting Licky, who was curled up in front of me while I was at the
computer. All was peaceful until I heard what I was sure was Smudge
at the front door. I leapt up and ran to the door. Of course, nobody
was there, and when I turned around, I saw Licky crouching under the
rocking chair, looking very wary, poor boy! Every time I hear any
kind of high-pitched sound - a kid yelling, a door squeaking, etc -
I think it's Smudge. I really hate not knowing.

That's so upsetting, and I can very much understand how you'd be on
edge like that. Especially considering that your hearing's saved
Smudge's life before.

[...]

It's good that everyone knows who she is. It sounds like there's a
good chance that you'll find out what happened. I wouldn't think that
a cat would normally just get lost in its own neighborhood. I
remember stories of Clyde and Otis getting trapped in someone's garage
or basement. Then, Christine talked about KFC, who just sat out in
the rain feeling ill, and almost died that way, and Ollie, who just
never came back... Sorry, that must sound depressing! But most of
the time, lost kitties here do come back. I can count on one hand the
ones who never came back at all - that's uncommon.

Old June 26th 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
Takayuki wrote:

It's terrible not knowing

I keep thinking I hear her meowing at the door. This morning I was
petting Licky, who was curled up in front of me while I was at the
computer. All was peaceful until I heard what I was sure was Smudge
at the front door. I leapt up and ran to the door. Of course, nobody
was there, and when I turned around, I saw Licky crouching under the
rocking chair, looking very wary, poor boy! Every time I hear any
kind of high-pitched sound - a kid yelling, a door squeaking, etc -
I think it's Smudge. I really hate not knowing.

Could Smudge has got into a crawlway and into a wall? Or maybe she is
on the roof of your house or a nearby house? Or maybe she is in a tree
or nearby garage/shed?

Old June 26th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

rbolin wrote:

Could Smudge has got into a crawlway and into a wall? Or maybe she is
on the roof of your house or a nearby house? Or maybe she is in a tree
or nearby garage/shed?

I guess anything's possilbe - she could be in a building, in a wall...
but not on the roof of my house or nearby tree - because she has a very
loud meow and I (and everyone else) would definitely hear her crying.

I've put up signs all over the neighborhood asking people to check
their garages, sheds and basements. I also walked around knocking on
doors and tucking flyers in people's doorways when they're not there.
So far, no response.

Joyce
Old June 26th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

cybercat wrote
Has it occured to you that if you just keep her in where she is safe you
might
avoid all of this worry?

No doubt your lack of sympathy is very helpful - especially as this is
your second post saying so.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old June 26th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 25 Jun 2006 00:49:46 GMT, wrote:

Smudge didn't come home last night! She has never done that before.
Usually she comes running up to me when she sees my car pull up to
the sidewalk in front of my building. Sometimes she's not around at
that moment, but has always shown up within a half hour or 45 minutes
of my arrival home. Last night she did not show up when I get home,
and didn't come back at all.

Today I made signs and put them up in my neighborhood. I gave one
to the proprietors of the grocery store nearby, which is "gossip
central" in the neighborhood. Everyone shops there, and they all gab
with the owner and employees. So I'm hoping that someone who knows
something might see my sign and say something.

I also called a couple of local shelters in case someone brought her
in. She wears a collar, but I suppose it could have come off.

Purrs for her to get herself back here would be appreciated!

(Oh, and if anyone flames me for this, and one of you decent folk
decide to respond to the flamer, PLEASE don't quote the flames! I have
the most likely suspects killfiled for a reason! What they will say
is extremely predictable, so I don't need to hear it. Best yet, no
need to feed the trolls.)

Thanks,
Joyce

I was away from the group for the past five days, so I hope Smudge is
home by now. If not, loud homing purrs are heading your direction.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)