Solving Bubbels

Old December 6th 04, 06:53 PM
Bev

Default Solving Bubbels

I have decided I am going to clear the screen of bubbels or die in the
attempt. (I can just see the small news item in the paper - woman passed
away from starvation in front of a screen of bubbels. This curious
event is being investigated by the Bubbel Squad) Do you know I have
been down to two bubbels!!! It's simply not fair. I was more
successful when I first began the game and managed to clear the board
somehow even though there were still bubbels left. That was the time I
got a score of $142,000 without it doubling.

Back to my two bubbels. I attach the end bubbel and the screen is
full again. I get so mad I get careless. I don't take the usual care
when I shoot. What happens - I miss - the screen spitefully fills up
again. Before long I am at the bottom, trapped by a screen of
bubbels. GAME OVER. I swear there is no way to solve it.

It's all a plot to make me miserable before Xmas. I will be sending out
no Xmas cards this year and giving no presents!!!

I was wondering - if you keep placing bubbels in the top two rows does
it stop the fiends duplicating themselves so often.
I find when I get rid of say, all one sort of bubbel it gets harder. I
rarely get rid of two lots of coloured bubbels.
And why, when I have finally got rid of all the yellows say, does a
rogue yellow leap up when there isn't another in sight

I think that some of the bubbels live behind my screen, I do.
(paranoid laughter).

Bev
--
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
Old December 6th 04, 07:23 PM
Jo Firey

"Bev" wrote in message
[...]

I think there is a rule that when you have fewer colors, you get more rows
when you get new rows.

My best "strategy" so far is to deliberately put odd bubbels into a cluster
I know I can knock out. And to put odd colors at least close to the same
color as they might be together when the rows drop.

But at least to me a great deal is random. I take credit when I do well and
blame the randomness of the game when I do poorly.

Jo

Old December 6th 04, 08:30 PM
Countrystuff

"Bev" wrote in message
[...]

Could someone please post this bubble thing again??
heehe I want to play!!...
thanks, just a lurker from time to time
--
CountryStuff

Old December 6th 04, 08:42 PM

http://193.151.73.87/games/bubbels.swf

Old December 6th 04, 11:16 PM

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:42:55 GMT, "Countrystuff"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"Bev" wrote in message
[...]

After a few hours you won't be.
Old December 6th 04, 11:47 PM
Bev

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:42:55 GMT, "Countrystuff"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"Bev" wrote in message
[...]

Even the re-posting of the bubbel site was enough for me. Like a true
addict I couldn't help myself. I eliminated the yellow bubbels and
bombed out at 33,000 before I gave up and came back here to rant. I see
it is well past lunch-time and I won't be back playing afterwards, I
won't, I won't, I won't.

I have noticed a strange habit that I have formed since I have been
playing the game and wondered if anyone else has done the same thing.
When I am readying myself for a particularly tricky shot I actually rise
in my chair and lean forward as I bang down my finger on the mouse - as
if the actual intensity I put into the shot will 'will' it in. Oddly, it
seems to work! Oh, the delicate skill of elegantly bouncing a bubbel
off the side and landing it directly between
two others. It's poetry - (hysterical ranting)

Bev
--
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
Old December 7th 04, 12:46 AM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:43:29 -0600, Cheryl
yodeled:

On Mon 06 Dec 2004 04:42:55p, Countrystuff wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes (news:zn4td.18654$4m5.2711
):

Could someone please post this bubble thing again??
heehe I want to play!!...
thanks, just a lurker from time to time
http://193.151.73.87/games/bubbels.swf

Thank you!!! )

LOL Now you can join the rest of us addicted fools. Don't come
whining back when your life falls apart and you see bubbels in your
sleep, what little you'll get when you're up all night busting
bubbels.

The slogan on Snood is "Forget Life-- Play Snood!"

Theresa
Old December 7th 04, 01:18 AM
Countrystuff

@fe1.columbus.rr.com):

Could someone please post this bubble thing again??
heehe I want to play!!...
thanks, just a lurker from time to time
http://193.151.73.87/games/bubbels.swf

Thank you!!! )

LOL Now you can join the rest of us addicted fools. Don't come
whining back when your life falls apart and you see bubbels in your
sleep, what little you'll get when you're up all night busting
bubbels.

LOL ...I won't because it wont come up for me!! .... waa!!

--
Cheryl
waves to GF!

Old December 7th 04, 01:23 AM
Yowie

Ok, here's the deal with Bubbels that you need to know to win the game.

First of all, take advantage of the fact that for most of the game there is
no time limit. Think carefully about where you are going to place your
bubbels. Plan ahead, and don't rely on trick shots to get you out of
trouble.

How new lines appear:

See those 5 green "bubbels" over to the right hand side? Each time you don't
manage to pop anything, one turns into an "X". Once there's no green
bubbels left, your next "missed" shot will cause a line of bubbels to appear
at the top of your screen, and it will re-set with 4 green bubbels instead
of 5, meaning you can now only miss 4 times safely - on your 5th shot you'll
get an extra row. Then you'll get 3 green bubbels, then 2, then 1, and then
none. After that, it will go back to 5 green "bubbels" in the box, but now
every time you miss when there are no green bubbels in that box, you'll get
*two* lines instead of one. It will go through the cycle, and three lines
each time, and then 4 etc etc etc.

How they move down:

Each time you get a new line of bubbels, the bubbels that were already on
the screen move down to let the new rows in. You will have noticed, however,
that the old bubbels seem to move around in relation to each other, which
often means an nice clumpof one colour is broken up. Don't despair! There is
a pattern to their movement. You will note that because they form a
hegagonal pattern, each horizontal row doesn't quite fit properly onto the
screen - there is a bigger gap at one side of the row than the other. When
they move down one row, the bubbels move across in such a way as to put the
bigger gap on the other side of the screen. That is, if the gap is at the
left, the bubbels will all move half a bubbel width to the left when the
move down one row, and if the gap is at the right, all the bubbels in that
row will move half a width to the right. Effectively, this means they move
one bubbel across in relation to each other.

How to eliminate a colour:

You must remove all of that particular colour from the screen.
Unfortuantely, that also means the two bubbels at the bottom of the screen
you are about to fire. Even if you eliminate the colour from the top of the
screen, the next bubbel to appear on the screen may very well be the colour
you just eliminated, and if you are about to get a new row, it will use that
just-elimanated colour if it happens to be in your "next up" set. Its
frustrating, but doens't mean you shouldn't work on getting your colours
reduced. Just keep looking at your screen and figure out which colour is
the easiest to get rid of (this will change regularly) and work on that.

Where do you place a bubbel that cannot be used to pop something?

* Have a good think. Are you due for a new row? How will this change the
formation? Whilst the bubbels won't pop if you line three or more up when
they rearrange, you can make the deal sweeter for the next shot of that
colour if you know how they are going to change.

* Always take into account *both* of the bubbels at the bottom of the
screen. Its madness itself to block of a formation you could pop with your
second bubbel by putting your first bubbel in a dumb place.

* If you have two of the same colour in your arsenal, you may be able to
shoot the first one to a location to which the second bubbel will pop both
the original formation plus your first bubbel, rather than using the first
to pop just a few and leaving the next one as an orphan

* If you cannot make a scoring shot, try to pair up your shooting bubbel
with one of its own, so that you can get a scoring shot when another one of
its colour turns up, however, don't block an oppurtunity that would be more
advantageous.

* When setting up paired shots, try to make them easy shots rather than
the ones you have to bounce off walls or have to squeeze through small gaps.

* Never ever play a shot that means it gets stuck on the top row. Your
are trying to eliminate the top row. If its a non-popping shot and you are
trying to pair it with one of its own colour, try to make it so it is
sitting below it.

* If you are utterly stuck and cannot even pair up your shot with one of
its own, try to place it such that it will fall away when something above it
is popped (which brings us to stalactites).

Building Stalactites

* If you've got a few non-scoring shots in a row, instead of spreading
them out across the playing field, build a stalactite, so that they will all
be eliminated when you get that right colour above them

* The fact that they move in relation to one another as another row
appears can be used to your advantage. If there is a "stalactite" of
unmatched bubbels one bubbel thick, when they move down when youget a new
row, they won't have any bubbel to stick to and they'll just pop. You won't
get any points for this, but the stalactite will be gone.

* If you have to build a stalactite, try not to build it in the middle of
the playing area, because that will make future play more difficult to aim
(you'll only be able to shoot to each side). Keep stalactites off to one
side, and always ALWAY make sure the "dislocation" bubbels are easily
shootable when the right colour comes along

* The best place to build stalactites, IMHO, is one bubbel width away from
each side. That way, you aren't interferring with the middle of the play
field, but they don't get weird and find something else to hang onto when
they all move down.

Mostly, though, you just have to *think* rather than go for he obvious
shots. You only get the 5 minute time limit when you are down to two
colours, and by then you should be using the above so insitinctively that
you will be able to clear the screen.

Good Luck!

Yowie