Carpeted Closet Litter Box - Is it Possible to Save Your Floor & Be Scent Free?

Old February 23rd 05, 07:19 AM
Bobby Gee via CatKB.com

Default Carpeted Closet Litter Box - Is it Possible to Save Your Floor & Be Scent Free?

I've got a "human" 10 year old indoor male cat that is entirely incredible.
I've never had a spraying, clawing, escaping or discipline problem with
him. However, last week, while suffering from a severe cold I made a first-
time mistake of placing his catbox in it's normal place (a carpeted closet)
in an abnormal position (with the entrance to the catbox facing the wall)!
Due to my cold and bedridden mode, my keen sense of smell didn't pick up
that he couldn't get inside the catbox and was defecating and urinating on
the mat and closet carpet directly outside of his box ... until almost a
week later.

So my questions to the group are two-fold:

(1) I've removed the carpeting and padding from inside the closet and want
to find a way to ENTIRELY remove the remaining urine odor. There's Urine-
off, products from Planet Urine, and many others, but I just don't know
which one would really do the job. Anybody have feedback as to which
product REALLY works to remove urine odor from carpet and/or hardwood floor?

(2) The reason I ask about carpet, is because I'm thinking of placing some
loose carpeting in the closet for his comfort, it's easier to clean and
looks better. Does anybody have advice on the best flooring to have and
preserve in a non-odorous manner if there's ever a cat mishap? I'm
debating whether to go back to loose carpeting and remove the carpet itself
should there ever be an accident. Or should I keep the hardwood floor with
a cat mat outside the box and attempt to preserve the floor itself.

I'd love to hear your feedback and advice for urine-odor removal products
and the best way to maintain a litter-box closet that is clean and odor
free ... allowing for an occasional accident.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:15 PM

1. To remove any urine odor you can go to Petsmart and purchase Petzyme
Cat Stain and Odor Remover.
2. I have hardwoods and I bought a 6x9 roll of vinyl flooring (you can
usually find it at Home Depot for around $20) and cut pieces to fit the
floors in the closets where I have litterboxes.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old February 23rd 05, 04:35 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Bobby Gee via CatKB.com" wrote in message
I've got a "human" 10 year old indoor male cat that is entirely

incredible.
I've never had a spraying, clawing, escaping or discipline problem with
him. However, last week, while suffering from a severe cold I made a

first-
time mistake of placing his catbox in it's normal place (a carpeted

closet)
in an abnormal position (with the entrance to the catbox facing the wall)!
Due to my cold and bedridden mode, my keen sense of smell didn't pick up
that he couldn't get inside the catbox and was defecating and urinating on
the mat and closet carpet directly outside of his box ... until almost a
week later.

So my questions to the group are two-fold:

snipped
(2) The reason I ask about carpet, is because I'm thinking of placing

some
loose carpeting in the closet for his comfort, it's easier to clean and
looks better. Does anybody have advice on the best flooring to have and
preserve in a non-odorous manner if there's ever a cat mishap? I'm
debating whether to go back to loose carpeting and remove the carpet

itself
should there ever be an accident. Or should I keep the hardwood floor

with
a cat mat outside the box and attempt to preserve the floor itself.

I'd love to hear your feedback and advice for urine-odor removal products
and the best way to maintain a litter-box closet that is clean and odor
free ... allowing for an occasional accident.

I definitely wouldn't install permanent carpeting in there. Either loosely
laid - with a large tray with a bit of a lip on it under the litter box to
take the brunt of accidents, or else plain hardwood floor, with a washable
scatter rug for his comfort, but still a tray under the box. You can use a
tray made for using under Christmas trees to catch dripped water, or else
one from the bottom of a animal crate. Or maybe even a car front floor
mat - the winter kind, that has good-sized channels for the pee to run into
if it happens again.

Cathy