What should she weigh?

Old August 20th 03, 06:52 PM
Cathy Friedmann

Default What should she weigh?

"SongSylvan" wrote in message
Hey all,

Paintball is now a year old, and myself and a friend were discussing our

cats.
Paintball's weight came up--I weighed her on her birthday, and she's 6.5
pounds. My friend said that was awfully small, she should weigh 9 or 10.

Paintball doesn't *look* or *feel* too skinny, she eats fine and is highly
energetic. Somebody else said not to worry, since torties are usually

smaller
than other cats anyway? (How does fur color indicate how big/small she'd

be?)

I did call the vet who said if she doesn't look too thin and is active,

then
she's probably okay, but I'd feel better if I heard about some other

'petite'
cats.

Thanks,

Magdalene

Just like people, it depends on their bone structure. If she's a small cat
in general, she'd not going to weigh much. I have an 11 y.o. cat who's on
the petite side (& who happens to be a colico) & is at an all-time high,
weighing about 8½ pounds - she's basically okay weight-wise, except for a
bit of a fat abdomen. Then there's my other cat, Herrie, who's ~ 5 y.o. & a
bigger cat in general, & weighs 14½ lb. - he could stand to lose a pound or
two, but otoh he's not noticeably fat.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old August 20th 03, 06:55 PM
kaeli

In article ,
ybodice enlightened us with...
Hey all,

Paintball is now a year old, and myself and a friend were discussing our cats.
Paintball's weight came up--I weighed her on her birthday, and she's 6.5
pounds. My friend said that was awfully small, she should weigh 9 or 10.

Paintball doesn't *look* or *feel* too skinny, she eats fine and is highly
energetic. Somebody else said not to worry, since torties are usually smaller
than other cats anyway? (How does fur color indicate how big/small she'd be?)

I did call the vet who said if she doesn't look too thin and is active, then
she's probably okay, but I'd feel better if I heard about some other 'petite'
cats.

Cats, like people, are different.
Go by how she feels, not the number on the scale. You should be able to
just barely feel her ribs with pressure. If you feel her ribs easily or
feel other bones (hips or backbone especially), she's probably too thin.
If you can't feel her ribs, she's overweight.
If you give her a bath and can *see* any bones, she's too thin.

I've never had a cat quite that petite, but my girls aren't over 8
pounds. Jeffrey's fat, so he doesn't count.

I've never heard of torties being smaller than other cats. It's just the
coat color. Girl kitties tend to be are smaller than boy kitties of the
same breed, at least from what I've seen.
Torties (and calicos) are always female or occasionally a sterile XXY
male. So people may get the impression that they are smaller than
average, I guess...

~kaeli~
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading
my hard disk?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old August 20th 03, 07:12 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"SongSylvan" wrote in message
Hey all,

Paintball is now a year old, and myself and a friend were discussing our

cats.
Paintball's weight came up--I weighed her on her birthday, and she's 6.5
pounds. My friend said that was awfully small, she should weigh 9 or 10.

Bebe weighs 6.8 and she was a year old the other day, but she is healthy,
happy and the fussiest eater ever! she has has snap blood test done. Nothing
wrong with her just small, and lean.

Paintball doesn't *look* or *feel* too skinny, she eats fine and is highly
energetic. Somebody else said not to worry, since torties are usually

smaller
than other cats anyway? (How does fur color indicate how big/small she'd

be?)

not heard of that before! but as long as she is healthy don't worry about
her, we all come in different shapes and sizes. Maybe somewhere back there
were a small breed of cats in her family.

I did call the vet who said if she doesn't look too thin and is active,

then
she's probably okay, but I'd feel better if I heard about some other

'petite'
cats.

well Bebe is small, my 18 week old Ragdoll kitten is nearly the same size as
her, he weighs 5.12 because of his breed. check out her pictures. :-)

Thanks,

Magdalene

--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

Old August 20th 03, 11:26 PM
Paige

Hey my baby is four years old and she only weighs 6 pounds also. She's just
very petite. She eats and is healthy and the vet isn't concerned except to
say "She's so tiny". Her head is smaller than my fist. So every cat is
different and as long as she eats regularly and is healthy I wouldn't worry
about it. Paintball will maybe just look like a kitten forever!!!!

Paige