Tasteless use of cat in advertising

Old April 8th 04, 06:51 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

No-no-no-no-no

It WASN'T the Evil Space Aliens that are stealing your underwear...

Haven't you ever seen the Underwear Gnomes???? They're cousins to the Sock
Trolls that steal the single-socks out of our dryers.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"Steve G" wrote in message
om...
"Cat Protector" wrote in message

Ford should be shot for this one! Was that possibly an animotronic cat

used
for the head cutoff scene?

No, it's real.

And the Bonsai Cats were really squashed into those jars.

And Evil Space Aliens stole my underpants.

Steve.

Old April 8th 04, 07:52 PM

"Mary" wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that someone, after
seeing this, will try it, nevertheless. All
some of the most brutal, sick f*cks need
is an idea, lacking as they generally are
a functioning imagination.

The Jackass generation is clearly capable of anything.

-mhd

Old April 8th 04, 10:31 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 03:30:18 GMT, "Ryan Robbins"
wrote:

"RobZip" wrote in message
Digital, animatronics, real or imagined, the end result is the same.

No it's not.

It
reinforces the idea that somebody thinks a cat dying a terrible death is a
humor item.

People every day laugh at death. It helps us get through life. Death can be
funny, especially when it is ironic. You have to look at death in terms of
its place in the grand scheme of things. Some people die horrible deaths
that are not funny. Some people die in freak accidents -- sort of God's way
of demonstrating how bizarre life and death can be.

Of course death isn't funny to those close to it. It rarely is. But that
doesn't mean death as a phenomenon that has many causes can't be funny.

Let's be realistic here. Nobody killed a cat to make that dummy commercial.
If somebody had killed a cat to make the commercial, then yes, it would not
be funny. But no cat died or was injured. Geez, the commercial was about a
possessed car. The commercial did not feature somebody killing the cat.

As for anyone who might make the weird leap of logic that the commercial
says it's OK to abuse animals and recreate the commercial (which would be
hard to do considering that the commercial did not feature a person killing
the cat), that person already has problems, problems the commercial
certainly did not create.

Look at how absurd commercials are getting with disclaimers saying
"dramatization" when a pickup truck tows a ship through ice or tows a
jetliner so fast that the plane takes off.

You hit it right on the head when you stated that people who are
already sick will think it is funny and try to do the same thing.
That is the problem!

Do you work for the company?

Old April 8th 04, 10:32 PM
Alison

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
Haven't you ever seen the Underwear Gnomes???? They're cousins to

the Sock
Trolls that steal the single-socks out of our dryers.

Tsk.There's no such thing as Underwear gnomes and Sock trolls .
Don't you know the universe is made up of black holes filled with
billions and billions of missing odd socks and biros and once sucked
in , they stay there for ever and ever? LOL
Alison

Old April 8th 04, 10:38 PM
Mary

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article , jean@NOSPAMspackman
enlightened us with...

Maybe it's because people don't really decapitate other people very

often, and when they do, we all know it isn't funny at all. However,
people ARE cruel and DO torture animals all the time, and we have a

hell
of a time getting those people the punishment they deserve.
I think it boils down to whether something could actually happen

like
that or not. A human isn't likely to get decapitated on purpose very
often. Somewhere in the States, a cat is being tortured right now.

Precisely.

Old April 9th 04, 01:02 AM
Cheryl

"Jeannie" dumped this in
on 08 Apr 2004:

On the other hand, here in the UK there are also a series of adverts
on T.V. all the time (I can't remember what they're for) showing
people having their heads bitten off by animals....with absolutely no
complaints! Strange.

JMHO, but it could it possibly be because we don't always like every human,
but cats are just innocent creatures and since we're animals lovers, can't
stand to see harm come to any of them, be it fictional or real?

--
Cheryl