New Kitten in House - Now Older Cat Won't Eat!

Old May 23rd 04, 12:40 AM
Ted Argle

Default New Kitten in House - Now Older Cat Won't Eat!

Hi,

Just over a week ago, we got a new kitten (still no name for him!)
from the Humane Society so that our existing cat Gizmo would have a
friend. A couple of days later, we saw that the kitten had stopped
eating. A few trips to the vet for the kitten and now he's fine and
eating ravenously.

The problem now is that Gizmo (6 yrs old) has all but stopped eating.
He's also been taken to the vet to get checked out and they said he
looked ok but to take him back if it kept up. As soon as we got him
home from the vet he ate a bunch of wet food but it's been about 2-3
days since then and he hasn't really eaten much more.

We've kept the kitten isolated from Gizmo as recommended by the Humane
Society. I'm wondering if perhaps Gizmo is concerned and/or jealous
about the new kitten.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with an existing cat when a
new kitten arrives in the house?

Thanks.
Old May 23rd 04, 01:48 PM
MIKE

The same thing happened to me when I got Tiger. Amber just sat in a
corner and refused to eat. After two days of this, I took Tiger back to
the shelter for a few days. Then Amber started to eat. After four more
days, I brought Tiger back home but this time I isolated him in one
room. There was no problem with Amber and I gradually introduced them
over a period of several weeks. After almost five years, they are not
"best buddies" but they get along.

-MIKE

Old May 23rd 04, 06:32 PM
Marievulsion

Try heating some canned food. It makes it smell wonderful (well, for cats it
does).
Old May 23rd 04, 06:32 PM
Marievulsion

Old May 24th 04, 07:10 AM
k conover

I don't think you need to separate them for more than 1-2 days. Let the
old cat smell the new kitten under the door, bat paws, etc. and then let
them meet supervised by you. Most cats will go on a "hunger strike" when a
new cat is introduced...usually they'll begin eating again after they adjust
but I would not prolong the situation by keeping them apart much longer.
Just give both lots of love and attention...
Kirsten
om...