Self Vaccination

Old June 1st 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Self Vaccination

Hi everyone,

I am interested in vaccinating my two adult cats myself. They are
both fixed, and have seen the vet within the last year.

I am interested in purchasing 2 doses of Fvrcp-c and a FELV, in a
single dose syringe. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking at something called Eclipse4&FELV for 9.95, the
rub...there is no syringe.
Feline Focus 5 I can find a one dose syringe, but I cannot find a
Feline Focus FELV in a one dose syringe.

It appears that I may have to break down and buy syringes.

What does this group recommend?

I am vaccinating myself to save money, due to an unexpected surprise
of a new kitten, (who is getting the full vet treatment). He will
probably run me about 4-5 hundred dollars before the year is out.

Mary

Old June 1st 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Mary wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am interested in vaccinating my two adult cats myself. They are
both fixed, and have seen the vet within the last year.

I am interested in purchasing 2 doses of Fvrcp-c and a FELV, in a
single dose syringe. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking at something called Eclipse4&FELV for 9.95, the
rub...there is no syringe.
Feline Focus 5 I can find a one dose syringe, but I cannot find a
Feline Focus FELV in a one dose syringe.

It appears that I may have to break down and buy syringes.

What does this group recommend?

I recommend having your vvet do it. There is a major nerve that runs
the length of the back leg and if you hit it, you can paralyze your
cat, not to mention all the major blood vessels you can hit.

-L.

Old June 1st 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Don't take the risk, go to a vet. Be safe, put them first.

Old June 1st 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

It is a subcutanous shot. I give one to my son everynight. I think I
can handle it.

Anyway, I settled on Feline Focus 5 that DOES come in a syringe. Two
shots and shipping and handling come to 36 dollars. That sure beats the
price of the vet.

Old June 1st 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Mary wrote:

It appears that I may have to break down and buy syringes.

it appears you may have to break down and get a job

can we say TIGHT

what the hell

better still

post your monthly outgoes up here
Im sure there's enough smarts among us to decide what you don't need..

we'll show you how to 'afford" a vet

AND YOU BETTER NOT HAD GONE TO THE HAIR DRESSER

done teased that **** up into a brown football helmet

Old June 2nd 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

If you had read my post, I said I was taking care of an unexpected
kitten that was brought into my house. That UNEXPECTED kitten is going
to cost me at least 400 dollars this year, hence blowing my vet budget.
Damn right I am tight and proud of it. This is a win win situation in
that the kitten gets a new home, and my adult cats still get their
yearly shots.

I found the meds already in the syringe. I did not want to buy alot
of syringes when I only needed two.

I asked for advice on what vaccinations others have used. I am taking
responsiblity for seeing that my cats have their updated shots.

Forget it. It is moot now anyway as I have found what I needed.

Old June 2nd 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Mary wrote:
It is a subcutanous shot. I give one to my son everynight. I think I
can handle it.

No, they are IM shots - not Sub-Q.

-L.

Old June 2nd 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Mary" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you had read my post, I said I was taking care of an unexpected
kitten that was brought into my house. That UNEXPECTED kitten is going
to cost me at least 400 dollars this year, hence blowing my vet budget.
Damn right I am tight and proud of it. This is a win win situation in
that the kitten gets a new home, and my adult cats still get their
yearly shots.

I found the meds already in the syringe. I did not want to buy alot
of syringes when I only needed two.

I asked for advice on what vaccinations others have used. I am taking
responsiblity for seeing that my cats have their updated shots.

Forget it. It is moot now anyway as I have found what I needed.

At the very least have your vet show you how to administer the shots.
You are a tragedy waiting to happen.

Old June 2nd 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Mary wrote:

Forget it. It is moot now anyway as I have found what I needed.

come'on Mary, post them outgoes, let us tweak that budget

I wanna see where your money is going

How much do you make? how much you got in savings?

I mean come'on this IS a cat forum, it's my job to know these things

Old June 2nd 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Mary" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

I am interested in vaccinating my two adult cats myself. They are
both fixed, and have seen the vet within the last year.

I am interested in purchasing 2 doses of Fvrcp-c and a FELV, in a
single dose syringe. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking at something called Eclipse4&FELV for 9.95, the
rub...there is no syringe.
Feline Focus 5 I can find a one dose syringe, but I cannot find a
Feline Focus FELV in a one dose syringe.

It appears that I may have to break down and buy syringes.

What does this group recommend?

I am vaccinating myself to save money, due to an unexpected surprise
of a new kitten, (who is getting the full vet treatment). He will
probably run me about 4-5 hundred dollars before the year is out.

Mary

You could save yourself the cost of the FELV shot if you keep the cats
inside where they can't get exposed. That is unless you happen to have a
FeLV positive cat already in your household.

If that 4-5 hundred dollars on the kitten includes the spay/neuter you could
look into low cost spay/neuter vouchers online.