Woman Let's Go Of Cat To Survive

Old September 18th 04, 05:24 PM
Cat Protector

Driving a truck through a raging flood was not a smart thing to do. When we
get flooding in the washes here due to a rainstorm you'd be surprised how
many people try to drive their cars through it and get stuck despite signs
being posted that say "don't drive through when flooded." This woman could
have saved the cat if she had wanted to. Simply opening the cage would have
given the cat a fighting chance to survive.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Wendy" wrote in message
On the few occasions when I had personal knowledge about a story published
in the newspaper they got the story wrong every time. Some mistakes were
worse than others but in every case there was an inaccurate statement or
quote. We don't know if this woman said something between saying her
property wasn't important and saying she missed her cat. We also don't
know
if she elaborated about her feelings about the cat and that wasn't
included.

Her inclination was to save the cat or it wouldn't have been in the truck
with her. It makes sense to have the cat confined so if it freaked out it
couldn't get away. Once they realized the truck was floating there
probably
wasn't time to roust the cat out of the cage/carrier or she still felt the
cat would be safer confined so it wouldn't leap out of her arms into the
flood waters. Maybe by that time she was so scared she just couldn't think
straight. Maybe in those circumstances there is no thinking straight.

It's hard to say what one would do in her position. None of us was there.
I'm sure all of us would do the best we could to save our guys but who
knows
whether we would be able to save them or not.

Old September 18th 04, 05:28 PM
Cat Protector

I must be nuts that if given the situation I would have saved my cats. The
way I see it, they deserve just as much chance at survival as I do. I don't
differentiate the value of life simply because they have 4 legs, a tail and
meow. I don't see my cats as property. In a crisis situation, I can let the
material things go but my cats are not a material possession. They are my
kids so I'd rather they be saved as possessions can be replaced, a life
can't.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
What are you nuts? Of course she should have saved herself. Argh!!

Lauren
________
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm

Old September 18th 04, 05:33 PM
Cat Protector

Beat me up all you want but I have to wonder how many of you when given the
situation would actually save their cats or treated them as property and let
them float away? I know I would have saved my cats. You can't put a price
value on a living, breathing creature. My cats are like my kids and deserve
the same chance at survival as I do in a crisis situation.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
Right on both counts.

Priscilla

Old September 18th 04, 05:38 PM
Cat Protector

What Ivan wreaked on that part of the United States was terrible but it's
not over yet as Hurricane Jeanne is on its way to Florida. I feel bad for a
lot of people that lost their homes and some stayed because they didn't want
to abandon their animals since none of the human shelters allowed them. I
respect the hell out the people that stayed as I couldn't willingly abandon
my cats just to reach a human shelter to wait out the storm.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

wrote in message
I live in NC and just a few minutes ago there was a story about the
flooding in
this state. Actually it has been the main story for quite a number of
days. They interviewed a college student who was stranded. Her comment
was (as she was looking over the destruction) that if it is this bad as
far inland as we are she can't imagine how bad it is on the coast. Even
the northern part of our county has seen destruction from flooding and
we are 2 hours away from the hardest hit areas of the state. Some people
are dealing with flooding of their homes 2-3 times in the last month.

I also agree with the posters who feel that the whole story was not
told. The one
time I wrote a letter to the editor it was printed in the paper but it
was also edited which changed the meaning of my
comments.

Michele

Old September 18th 04, 05:42 PM
Mary

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Beat me up all you want but I have to wonder how many of you when given

the
situation would actually save their cats or treated them as property and

let
them float away? I know I would have saved my cats. You can't put a price
value on a living, breathing creature. My cats are like my kids and

deserve
the same chance at survival as I do in a crisis situation.

While I would never wish this situation on anyone, I would
give everything I have to be a "fly-on-the-wall" with a camcorder if this
ever happened to you.

Old September 18th 04, 05:52 PM
Cat Protector

Even in a situation like this, I was simply pointing out how some people see
their cats as nothing more than property. She could have taken the cat out
of the carrier to give the animal a fighting chance. She didn't and then let
the poor float away (a cat carrier filled with water will not float but a
cat out of the carrier can swim and certainly weighs less) and drown.
Emergency officials also advise that you do not drive your vehicle through a
flood. The highest point would be the roof of your house and it would have
been safer there than being in that truck.

With the pounding of Ivan some stayed behind to weather the storm because
they did want to abandon their animals. I respect these people who did that.
I also believe that in a crisis situation that you also have a sound
evacuation plan and as tough as it may seem, you do not panic.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Mary" wrote in message
m...
People who condemn the actions of those who find themselves
in terrifying situations never experienced by their critics quite
simply do not know what the hell they are talking about.
Reminds me of the stories about Jacqueline Kennedy after
her husband was shot. People felt she was disloyal or less
than honorable because she fled the car after having her
husband's head explode all over her.