Woman Let's Go Of Cat To Survive

Old September 18th 04, 06:06 PM
Mary

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
Sometimes shooting fish in a barrell is relaxing. :-)

Not the best choice of a phrase..!

G You a fish lover, are you?

Old September 18th 04, 06:09 PM
Cat Protector

I would have let the cat out and held on to him/her. A wet cat certainly
weighs less than a cat carrier which will most likely fill with water and go
under. The cat also is a life which you can't put a price on and certainly
should have been given the same chance at survival.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
Why didn't she at least let the cat out? She wanted to save herself, but
was
she paralyzed so that she couldn't open the cage - giving the cat some
kind of
chance?

Old September 18th 04, 06:18 PM
Cat Protector

I actually would put the carriers in an easy to reach place and learn all
the places in a household a cat would hide. I would also not loose your cool
and remain as calm as possible because if you aren't, you can make some
serious mistakes. Also, it might be advisable to take animal CPR courses
just in case. Also, prepare an emergency kit for the animal which includes
such things as food, water, medicine, a collar (and a leash if possible),
ID, medical records, litterbox, cat litter, bandages and maybe a toy or two
so they have something familiar to help keep them calm. Make sure that you
also put the kit in a safe but easily accessed spot in case you need to
evacuate in a hurry.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
As long as we are on the subject of saving one's cats....how many people
have
thought about what to do about their beloved cats in case of a fire? Is
the
cat carrier within reach? Is there an route in place? Do you know (in
practice)
how to remain calm so that you don't scare the cats before you are able to
get
them to safety?

Old September 18th 04, 06:40 PM

She could have taken the cat out of the
carrier to give the animal a fighting
chance.

Out of the mouths of simpletons...

Maybe this didn't occur to you, but it takes TWO hands to open a
carrier. Maybe you can explain how, when you're holding on to a carrier
with one hand and precariously holding on to a *wet,* slippery floating
object while in high speed flood waters with the other how you could
open the carrier. Sheesh.

I have to wonder how you even manage to get dressed in the morning.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old September 18th 04, 06:54 PM

Luvskats wrote:

Why didn't she at least let the cat out?
She wanted to save herself, but was she
paralyzed so that she couldn't open the
cage - giving the cat some kind of
chance?

In addition to the problems with having to make instant decisions in an
emergency and trying to open a carrier while hanging on to it *and* a
floating object in the midst of powerful floodwaters, if you think a
little cat can survive being washed away in flood waters you're in a
fantasy world. We just had flooding in Austin, MN and a young, healthy
21 year old man got swept away in the flood waters. Needless to say they
did find his *dead* body yesterday.

"The police chief had the grimmest news: a man, who rescuers watched go
under flood waters is still missing and believed to have drowned.

The incident began late Wednesday afternoon north of the Austin Public
Library, where a man was seen toppling into the muddy Cedar River.

Austin Police Department officers and Austin Utilities employees rushed
to the Mill Pond Pathway walking bridge over the river as the current
pulled the man downstream.

"We watched him. He was yelling for help. We saw him go under and never
come up," the police chief said.

The river waters remain too dangerous to send any rescue boats into them
to search for the body, according to the police chief."

Old September 18th 04, 06:55 PM
Adam Helberg

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Are you saying you would have let the cat drown?

I am saying this person was in a situation where her life was at stake, things were
happening quickly and she had to make quick decisions. She may have decided going
into the truck to pull out the cage was futile and would have cost both lives. In any
case it's not right to make judgements on someone in that situation. For one thing
you don't know the details. Though I like animals I can't fault her that she saved
her life and not gone into the truck.

One of the rules you learn in lifesaving is that you must save yourself first as it
does no good for both to drown.

Another analogy is people who allow another to die so they may survive themselves--as
happens often in war. It's not right to make judegments on such actions as no one
knows how we would behave under such circumstances. It is certainly understandable to
sacrifice an animal to save yourself.

Adam