Older Cat with a lot of new symptoms

Old June 28th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Older Cat with a lot of new symptoms

My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
meow at my husband and I.

Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the vet
visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just breaking
because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain aside from
his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his arthritis medicine
because it seemed to make him much worse. I've started giving him some
tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat food to make sure he's eating
still.

Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.

Old June 28th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rachel" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Borrow the money, or sell something on ebay. Your cat needs to see
a vet. Do you have parents, siblings, friends who can help? You need
less than $50.

Old June 28th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rachel wrote:
My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
meow at my husband and I.

Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the
vet visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just
breaking because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain
aside from his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his
arthritis medicine because it seemed to make him much worse. I've
started giving him some tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat
food to make sure he's eating still.

Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.

If this weren't a cat, but your (human) actual baby, you'd be rushing
him/her to a doctor, right? If you have to cancel your internet account to
be able to afford it, you'd do so (many libraries in US have free internet
access nowadays. I'm assuming you're in the US as you're using google).

When my cat (Ivy, RB 2002) started doing just that, she was rushed to the
vet NO MATTER THE COST, and we discovered that she had Chronic Renal Failure
(CRF). Cats can live a long time with failing kidneys, especially with the
proper treatment, but alas, Poor Ivy only lasted another 8 months.

CALL your vet and describe the symptoms, EXPLAIN your financial situation
and see if they will accept payments (weekly, monthly, whatever). A vet
that actually CARES about animals will accept payments. A vet that only
cares about his/her finances won't (and should be avoided).

Old June 28th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Your cat really needs to see a vet. At 18, he should have a complete blood
work-up done in order to find out what may be the problem. I know it may
be tough to come up with the necessary funds but he really should see a vet.
Inquire with your local humane society. They sometimes offer veterinarian
services at a discounted rate. Or ask the veterinarian if they would
consider a payment plan.

Sue

oups.com...

Old June 28th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

All the vets I've called don't have payment plans so I've asked a local
humane organization. I'm so dissapointed, I really can't believe that
these vets aren't willing to help.

Old June 28th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Please take your kitty to the vet regardless of your finances. Sounds
to me like hyperthyroid - which is not expensive to test nor to treat -
but can kill if left undiagnosed. Don't let your baby suffer. Sounds
like he is jaundiced and that is why he is losing control of the back
legs. Please go to the vet NOW! The staying up all night and meowing
and drinking lots of water tells me it is thyroid.

Old June 28th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rachel" wrote in message
oups.com...

Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
afford much.

also, Rachel, I just wanted to say that most of us understand what it is to
be low on money. It is hard. But when it comes down to it, you can find
money. What you have set aside for groceries, you can use that and go
lighter
this week. Hock something! Call a vet and see what he can work out with
you. Don't be proud, just get your kittie the help he needs. If you love him
you will never forgive yourself for not doing the right thing by him. Good
luck
and keep us posted. Nobody meant to be judgmental. But you do need to g
get him seen by a vet.

Old June 28th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hccatowner

Hi Rachel - First let me say I am new here, but I've been through this with
my older cats; I'm sorry he's going through this and understand how upsetting
it is. I have to say though, that I agree with the posts here, he really
needs to get to the vet and have a wellness or geriatric profile done and a
urinalysis. If he is starting to have or is in kidney failure (he will be
peeing a LOT and drinking a lot of water) he may need fluids and can be
stablilized. Kidney disease is silent until they are really having problems.
I had a cat that had both kidney disease and diabetes and with proper food
and daily insulin lived with both conditions for five years. The tests can
be pricey, but if it was me I would put it on my credit card if I had to.

I also want to suggest that you replace his litter box with something lower.
I have a deaf cat that has never had good balance, who last year had
something neurological happen (vet thinks it may have been a mild stroke).
His balance got a little worse, and he started peeing on my throw rugs. He
would always cry loudly before he went as though he was very upset. I bought
one of those drip trays that goes under plant pots - the largest I could find
for his litter, and I keep it in the room that he likes to be in the most.
It is only about 2 1/2 inches high. It solved the problem--he was just so
unsteady that he didn't want to climb into the regular litter box anymore-or
go down the stairs to the basement either. Though now, a year later he is
going down there once in a while.

Good luck-obviously your cat is well loved to have made it to 18!

Cindy

Old June 28th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barb

Visa, Master Card- they have payment plans. To me, this would be a reason
to carry some debt for a while.

Go on eBay. See what people are buying and then look amongst your own
things.

Good luck.

--
Barb