Pet Food Recall: PURINA UR (MAYBE)

Old April 30th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cybercat

Default Pet Food Recall: PURINA UR (MAYBE)

"Ken Knecht" wrote

Sure we have a choice. Make your own cat food. I just got a book and am
researching the process. After purchasing the required vitamins, minerals
and other additives it doesn't look that difficult. I'll soon find out.

I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet food
companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their food
at all.

Old April 30th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sherry

On Apr 30, 12:33 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Ken Knecht" wrote

Sure we have a choice. Make your own cat food. I just got a book and am
researching the process. After purchasing the required vitamins, minerals
and other additives it doesn't look that difficult. I'll soon find out.

I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet food
companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their food
at all.

We're on Purina too; but it has been sheer luck. That just happened to
be
what they like. Purina Pro Plan & FF. I used to actually feel guilty
because
I wasn't feeding Hills, or Nutro, Wellness, Innova...all the higher-
priced
"premium" foods...but the cats won't eat them.
I also kind of like supporting Purina because they have a mill here,
and
donate a *lot* of food to the shelter, simply because it's 6 months
until
the expire date. A whole ton of Pro Plan once.
Betrayed? I feel betrayed and I didn't even buy any of those foods. I
feel
betrayed because I want the *best* for the cats and I don't pinch
pennies
when it comes to cat food. I am perfectly willing to pay a premium
price for a premium food. Then those *damn* companies, with all their
PR bull**** that says "only the best..blah blah blah).. they *claim*
to be
premium...and sure as hell do charge a premium price....then THEY
endanger,
and even kill, people's beloved pets JUST TO SAVE A BUCK!!
HYPOCRISY!! Fraud. And they're all big fat liars, I don't care what
anyone
says. They *knew* that China has no regulations, zero safeguards in
place
to protect the purity of pet food ingredients. And they put the
*lives* of millions
of pets on the line based on what? Trust??? Give me a break.
Agghhh. I'm starting to foam at the mouth again so I'll shut up now.

Sherry

Old May 2nd 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cindys

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...

We're on Purina too; but it has been sheer luck. That just happened to
be
what they like. Purina Pro Plan & FF. I used to actually feel guilty
because
I wasn't feeding Hills, or Nutro, Wellness, Innova...all the higher-
priced
"premium" foods...but the cats won't eat them.

----------
Not intended as a criticism of FF (my cats eat both FF and Wellness), but
just so you know: Wellness is approximately the same price as FF. FF is 48
cents for a 3 oz can in my local supermarket, and I buy Wellness from
Petfooddirect for a little less than a dollar for a 5.5 oz can (with a good
coupon). Pet Promise (another new premium brand) costs 99 cents for a 5.5
ounce can. The new premium FF varieties cost 75 cents for a 3 ounce can
(without a coupon), so that's actually more expensive than Wellness and Pet
Promise.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old May 2nd 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Meghan Noecker

On Tue, 1 May 2007 21:13:02 -0400, "cindys"
wrote:

----------
Not intended as a criticism of FF (my cats eat both FF and Wellness), but
just so you know: Wellness is approximately the same price as FF. FF is 48
cents for a 3 oz can in my local supermarket, and I buy Wellness from
Petfooddirect for a little less than a dollar for a 5.5 oz can (with a good
coupon). Pet Promise (another new premium brand) costs 99 cents for a 5.5
ounce can. The new premium FF varieties cost 75 cents for a 3 ounce can
(without a coupon), so that's actually more expensive than Wellness and Pet
Promise.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Do they make a 3 oz can? I have not found any of the premium food
brands to make a 3 oz can. I have two cats, who share two 3 oz cans
per day, and they don't finish either one. And they won't eat it if
chilled and served again (cold, heated, set out for awhile).

I would be willing to try other foods, but it doesn't make sense to
but it in larger cans and throw more than half of it away.

I did try a free sample of one type of food, and Jay Jay looked rather
insulted. He didn't even try to sniff it, just pulled his head back
and stood there stiffly for a minute and then left. I had to call him
back and show him a can of fancy feast to get him to come back.

Old May 2nd 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Meghan Noecker

On 2 May 2007 02:53:56 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

On Tue 01 May 2007 09:52:49p, Meghan Noecker wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Do they make a 3 oz can? I have not found any of the premium
food brands to make a 3 oz can. I have two cats, who share two 3
oz cans per day, and they don't finish either one. And they
won't eat it if chilled and served again (cold, heated, set out
for awhile).

Wellness, FF (original) and the new FF all have 3 oz cans. I buy
those, too, for the same reasons you do. They eat canned much more
consistently if I put out a "buffet". Ok, are they spoiled? Some
say yes. I just say "well fed". They eat the canned, but
wouldn't if they all had to split a bigger can among them. None of
them but Bonnie will eat cold leftovers, so since she's the only
one who eats Wellness, gets 1/2 of a 3oz can each dinner. For
breakfast she won't touch canned. Tried it over and over and fed
the food to the disposal. She gets the other half of the can from
the day before the next day. Eats most of it.

Thanks. I will give Wellness a try. Do they sell it at stores like
Petco and Petsmart, or is it only at specialty stores?

Jay Jay is picky, so he'll be the one to please. He loves two flavors
of Fancy Feast, but ONLY 2 flavors. Anything else, and I get that sad
look from him as he decides he gets no special dinner. (He always has
kibble available).

For 2 years, I couldn't even get him to eat canned food. Then he would
accoasionally come check out a plate. And then he started showing up
to clean up after the others. And eventually, he was sitting there
waiting for me to open it.

I am pleased to know that the 2 flavors he does like do not have any
grain products in them.

Old May 8th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 02 May 2007 12:07:55a, Meghan Noecker wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

Thanks. I will give Wellness a try. Do they sell it at stores
like Petco and Petsmart, or is it only at specialty stores?

Jay Jay is picky, so he'll be the one to please. He loves two
flavors of Fancy Feast, but ONLY 2 flavors. Anything else, and I
get that sad look from him as he decides he gets no special
dinner. (He always has kibble available).

For 2 years, I couldn't even get him to eat canned food. Then he
would accoasionally come check out a plate. And then he started
showing up to clean up after the others. And eventually, he was
sitting there waiting for me to open it.

I am pleased to know that the 2 flavors he does like do not have
any grain products in them.

Sorry Meghan, just seeing this. Here, Wellness isn't available in
Petsmart or Petco. I buy it at a store called "Crunchies" that only
sells premium pet foods. You can also get it online as I've seen a
lot of people mention here.

I'm glad Jay Jay got with the program and is enjoying his gooshy
food. I wish Bonnie and Rhett would learn that! I put out gooshy
food for 4 every day but their bowls are either ignored and eaten
by Shamrock and Scarlett or left to throw out.

--
Cheryl

Old May 8th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rona Y.

On May 1, 2:33 am, "cybercat" wrote:

I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet food
companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their food
at all.

Actually, two Purina dog foods *were* affected by the recall (Alpo and
Mighty Dog--both are Purina foods).

I don't think there is a single large pet food company that wasn't
affected by the recall.

rona

Old May 8th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cybercat

"Rona Y." wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 1, 2:33 am, "cybercat" wrote:

I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet
food
companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their
food
at all.

Actually, two Purina dog foods *were* affected by the recall (Alpo and
Mighty Dog--both are Purina foods).

I don't think there is a single large pet food company that wasn't
affected by the recall.

I was talking about cat food. I had not noticed the crossposting.

Sorry for making it seem like there might be a company we can trust. What I
meant was, "PANIC! NO FOOD IS SAFE! OUR FOOD IS PROBABLY NEXT! AS A MATTER
OF FACT, THAT BURGER YOU HAD FOR LUNCH IS PROBABLY CONTAMINATED!!!

Old May 8th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sherry

On May 1, 8:13?pm, "cindys" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

You know, I've heard nothing but praise from a lot of people
Wellness. So I ordered
a case of it on petfooddirect.com. The little dooky-heads wouldn't
touch it. I think
it was the texture they didn't like. I usually pay about 42 cents for
FF with the Petperks card
at Petsmart. They don't like the premium FF, either.
It's not a price issue. I'd be perfectly willing to buy Wellness. But
it was a no-go. I ended up
giving the last few cans away, and the majority of the rest went down
the disposal. Everybody
else's cats like it. I don't know what their problem was.

Sherry

Old May 8th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sherry

On May 1, 8:52?pm, Meghan Noecker wrote:
snipped
I did try a free sample of one type of food, and Jay Jay looked rather
insulted. He didn't even try to sniff it, just pulled his head back
and stood there stiffly for a minute and then left. I had to call him
back and show him a can of fancy feast to get him to come back.

Ha ha!! I know that look. That forlorn, reproachful look.. The one
that says, "Ok. You
don't love me anymore. I'll never, ever ever get to eat Fancy Feast
again. This is slop and
you expect me to eat it."

Sherry