A Birds Eye View

Old July 5th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default A Birds Eye View

Hummingbird: I tawt I taw a puddy tat! I did! I did taw a puddy tat!

Persia was lounging on the back of the couch by the picture window. A
hummingbird feeder hangs right outside. One came along to get a drink and
spotted Persia sitting there. It flew over to the window and hovered,
getting a close-up look at her! LOL Persia had plenty of opportunity to
chatter at it in response.

Jill

Old July 5th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

My cats don't pay any attention to the hummingbirds. I have two window
feeders and one of them almost always has at least one hummer drinking
(sometimes four). Tiger couldn't care less.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 6th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

---MIKE--- wrote:
My cats don't pay any attention to the hummingbirds. I have two
window feeders and one of them almost always has at least one hummer
drinking (sometimes four). Tiger couldn't care less.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Around here 2 hummers will have an aerial battle befitting WWI Sopwith Camel
fighter pilots before they'll give over access to the feeder at the same
time. Such a battle took place just before the victor assumed his/her
rightful place and taunted Persia. She slept through the battle but Mom and
I got to watch the entire thing. They're viscious, territorial little
birds.

Jill

Old July 6th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

That is strange. "My" hummers never seem to fight. Even when all four
ports are occupied, some hummers will just wait their turn. The big
feeder is so busy that it has to be refilled every other day - and
that's a 48 ounce Perky Pet. For some reason, the 12 ounce feeder -
about ten feet away is not so busy.

Old July 6th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
---MIKE--- wrote:
My cats don't pay any attention to the hummingbirds. I have two
window feeders and one of them almost always has at least one hummer
drinking (sometimes four). Tiger couldn't care less.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Around here 2 hummers will have an aerial battle befitting WWI Sopwith
Camel fighter pilots before they'll give over access to the feeder at the
same time. Such a battle took place just before the victor assumed
his/her rightful place and taunted Persia. She slept through the battle
but Mom and I got to watch the entire thing. They're viscious,
territorial little birds.

Jill

They're little badasses. Sometimes you can't stick your head out a window
here in the summer, or a mockingbird or a blue jay will divebomb your head.
But the ones that really freak me out are the swallows and swifts. So
small, so pretty-- and incredible aerial battles, sometimes to the death.
One summer in England, we were eating lunch in the garden, and a swift
dropped out of the sky at my feet-- dead.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 6th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 6, 9:05*am, "Kreisleriana" wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

. ..

---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

I didn't know that about swallows. One built a nest under the eve of
the house, which I worried about Frank 'n Boots getting the babies
when they're learning
to fly. Those swallows have tormented the two mighty hunters until
they won't even
go on that corner of the house at all. They mean business.

Sherry
Old July 6th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jul 6, 10:05 am, "Kreisleriana" wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

. ..

---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

There was a red-tailed hawk (one of the soarting mouse-hunters,
somewhat big) on a pole in the back yard where I work. Some nesting
songbirds didn't like her around and swarmed her until she flew off.
She spent the next few hours soaring, as is proper, instead of
watching for mice from the top of a pole. That'l teach HER to be so
lazy. She eventually dropped on something in the next field and I
guess it was lunch.

--
Will in New Haven
Old July 6th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jul 5, 6:28 pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
My cats don't pay any attention to the hummingbirds. I have two window
feeders and one of them almost always has at least one hummer drinking
(sometimes four). Tiger couldn't care less.

'Why bother,' he's probably thinking, 'I could never catch one.' Just
as the wolves in Yellowstone are said not to notice pronghorns very
often, because they are too fast.

--
Will in New Haven

Old July 7th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Kreisleriana wrote:
They're little badasses. Sometimes you can't stick your head out a window
here in the summer, or a mockingbird or a blue jay will divebomb your head.
But the ones that really freak me out are the swallows and swifts. So
small, so pretty-- and incredible aerial battles, sometimes to the death.
One summer in England, we were eating lunch in the garden, and a swift
dropped out of the sky at my feet-- dead.

Swallows are fierce. I can see for my mind's eye Frank ambling along
across the cliffs on the island, when suddenly a swallow dives at him.
Frank's expression was hilarious - 'What did *I* do???' - as he ducked
out of the way.

Of course, then there was the swallow's nest under the jetty that
Caliban tried to reach... At least we know now that he knows how to swim.

Old July 7th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Will in New Haven wrote:

There was a red-tailed hawk (one of the soarting mouse-hunters,
somewhat big) on a pole in the back yard where I work. Some nesting
songbirds didn't like her around and swarmed her until she flew off.
She spent the next few hours soaring, as is proper, instead of
watching for mice from the top of a pole. That'l teach HER to be so
lazy. She eventually dropped on something in the next field and I
guess it was lunch.

The sea eagles in our archipelago fly so high that you can barely see
them, but what makes you notice them is the flocks of gulls and crows
following them, making a terrible racket.