Peticure & Other Stuff

Old July 6th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mare

Default Peticure & Other Stuff

Hi guys,

Haven't been here for quite a while. Firstly, condolences to all who
have had to say goodbye to furkids (it was 3 years yesterday that my
Mookie went to RB, so it's been a crappy weekend in that regard, and
I'm so sorry for your losses). I couldn't make it 2 months after
Mookie left without a cat in the house. We went to the MSPCA and
brought home Jasmine (lengthened to Princess Yasmina, then shortened
to Meena), a little black kitty with the shortest legs I've ever
seen. From day one, she slept with me, and in short order became the
"kitty spackle" that helped mend my horribly broken heart. Whenever I
sneeze, sob or cough, she runs from wherever she is and in chirpy-type
question (her voice always goes up) mode asks, "You okay, mom?" Once
I was sobbing so hard that she crawled under the covers with me and
put her paw on my face to take away the tears (at least that's what I
like to think she did). She's a real mama's girl and I love her to
pieces.

There's lots more, but I'll save it for another time. My question is,
have any of you used the Peticure grinding tool for claws yet? I'm
wondering if it's any good. The reviews on Amazon are not very
favorable. The ones for a Dremel pet grooming grinder were a lot
better (and the Dremel is about 4 times more expensive). I clip
Meena's claws, but they tend to split when they grow out (I never cut
them very short as I'm terrified to hit the quick), and get stuck on
bedspreads and stuff. And I wonder about how noisy these tools are -
Meena likes quiet... a lot.

Thanks for your input.

Best,

Mare

Old July 7th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mare wrote:

Whenever I
sneeze, sob or cough, she runs from wherever she is and in chirpy-type
question (her voice always goes up) mode asks, "You okay, mom?" Once
I was sobbing so hard that she crawled under the covers with me and
put her paw on my face to take away the tears (at least that's what I
like to think she did). She's a real mama's girl and I love her to
pieces.

She sounds like an angel of a kitty! When I cry my eyes out (thankfully
not recently), my cats don't even seem to notice. You're lucky, you have
a real sweetheart.

There's lots more, but I'll save it for another time. My question is,
have any of you used the Peticure grinding tool for claws yet?

I'd be interested in hearing testimonials about it, too. I've seen ads
on TV about it, and I'm intrigued. My cats hate having their claws clipped.
Roxy lets me do a few - usually I can get one paw done before she squirms
out of my grasp. Smudge lets out loud wails and squirms so hard that there's
no way to hold her. And I don't even *dare* to try it with Licky. He wouldn't
hurt me, but he might be traumatized by it.

Welcome back!

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old July 7th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mare

On Jul 6, 7:22 pm, wrote:
Mare wrote:

Whenever I
sneeze, sob or cough, she runs from wherever she is and in chirpy-type
question (her voice always goes up) mode asks, "You okay, mom?" Once
I was sobbing so hard that she crawled under the covers with me and
put her paw on my face to take away the tears (at least that's what I
like to think she did). She's a real mama's girl and I love her to
pieces.

She sounds like an angel of a kitty! When I cry my eyes out (thankfully
not recently), my cats don't even seem to notice. You're lucky, you have
a real sweetheart.

She truly is. Her "compassion" is overwhelming. Mookie was always my
boy. One night I was in distress and was calling to my SO (who was
asleep on the couch down the hall). He didn't hear me calling him,
but Mookie ran into him and started screaming loudly at him (Mookie
was a Siamese, so, you know...) as well. He actually woke up the SO
who finally came running. Now my little Princess has taken up right
where Mooks left off. I've really been blessed by Bast with caring
babies. I kiss her little face every day and tell her how important
she is.

There's lots more, but I'll save it for another time. My question is,
have any of you used the Peticure grinding tool for claws yet?

I'd be interested in hearing testimonials about it, too.

Welcome back!

Thanks so much. This is one of the best support systems anywhere.

Mare
Old July 7th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mare wrote:

She truly is. Her "compassion" is overwhelming. Mookie was always my
boy. One night I was in distress and was calling to my SO (who was
asleep on the couch down the hall). He didn't hear me calling him,
but Mookie ran into him and started screaming loudly at him (Mookie
was a Siamese, so, you know...) as well. He actually woke up the SO
who finally came running. Now my little Princess has taken up right
where Mooks left off. I've really been blessed by Bast with caring
babies. I kiss her little face every day and tell her how important
she is.

Awww, that's adorable.

BTW, are you in Boston or Amherst? Charleen and I are having a Boston
discussion on another thread. I live in California, but was born in
Boston. Went to UMass too. (Amherst in 1972, then dropped out after a
year. Then went back to Boston campus in '79 and graduated in '82.)

Old July 7th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mare

On Jul 6, 9:14 pm, wrote:
Mare wrote:

[...]

I work on the Amherst campus and live in Hadley. You wouldn't
recognize the place now, Joyce.
So many new buildings have sprouted up it's looking more & more like a
city. Can't say I'm
happy about that. Do you remember that old stone barn near the tennis
courts (the ones next to Goodell)?
They just demolished that (there was only one other one like it in the
world - in Japan) to put in a new student center.
But I guess if you're on an alum list, they've been looking for you to
give them dollars,and you probably know
all of this already!

But hey! The cats' don't care! They're just happy to greet you at
the door when you come home!

Mare
Old July 7th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

wrote in message
Mare wrote:

[...]

Stinky put up with it for years, but he recently just decided "Wait-- you're
sticking needles in me every day, and you're gonna clip my claws TOO?? Lady,
I love you, but up with this I will not put. Leave me some dignity, babe!"
And I'm inclined to agree with him, except that his claws have to be
clipped.

And Dante is just a very difficult shape to get hold of-- big and round--
and slippery, when he wants. Ridiculous creature.

So, yes, I'd also be interested in hearing anything people have tried that
works.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 7th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Charleen Welton

EEEEK, UMass Amherst! My older daughter, a high school senior at the time,
was invited to a Halloween party there to which I drove her and her friends
would drive her back. I insisted on walking her to her friend's room. Well
that was the famous Halloween Party of the early 1980's. I'm not easily
rattled but saw things that knocked my socks off! Who'd a thunk! My
gracious and other things! What an experience. It was a historical event
for sure.
Charleen

Old July 7th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mare

On Jul 7, 9:15 am, "Charleen Welton" wrote:
EEEEK, UMass Amherst! My older daughter, a high school senior at the time,
was invited to a Halloween party there to which I drove her and her friends
would drive her back. I insisted on walking her to her friend's room. Well
that was the famous Halloween Party of the early 1980's. I'm not easily
rattled but saw things that knocked my socks off! Who'd a thunk! My
gracious and other things! What an experience. It was a historical event
for sure.

It's gotten so much worse, Charleen. If the Patriots or Red Sox win a
national
championship, the state police are called in with riot gear to quell
the destruction.
Good thing the Celtics won AFTER graduation!
Then there's the end of the school year "Hobart Hoedown". It's a
nightmare.
Never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad I live in Hadley! We're not
touched
by things like that so much here.

Mare
Old July 7th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Charleen Welton" wrote in message
ng.com...
EEEEK, UMass Amherst! My older daughter, a high school senior at the
time, was invited to a Halloween party there to which I drove her and her
friends would drive her back. I insisted on walking her to her friend's
room. Well that was the famous Halloween Party of the early 1980's. I'm
not easily rattled but saw things that knocked my socks off! Who'd a
thunk! My gracious and other things! What an experience. It was a
historical event for sure.
Charleen

So it goes without saying that you belong to Sawx Nation, right?

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 7th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Mare" wrote in message
On Jul 7, 9:15 am, "Charleen Welton" wrote:
EEEEK, UMass Amherst! My older daughter, a high school senior at the
time,
was invited to a Halloween party there to which I drove her and her
friends
would drive her back. I insisted on walking her to her friend's room.
Well
that was the famous Halloween Party of the early 1980's. I'm not easily
rattled but saw things that knocked my socks off! Who'd a thunk! My
gracious and other things! What an experience. It was a historical event
for sure.

It's gotten so much worse, Charleen. If the Patriots or Red Sox win a
national
championship, the state police are called in with riot gear to quell
the destruction.

That answers my question to Charleen. For goodness sakes, what happens when
they lose?

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net