How long to wear the collar after spay??

Old December 21st 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Docberk

Default How long to wear the collar after spay??

Hi,

My 5 1/2 month old kitten was spayed this past Monday. She has done
fine, and stayed overnight at the vet. Since then, we have tried to
keep the collar on her neck to prevent her from tearing at the
sutures, per the vet request. She is terribly miserable wearing this
collar, but two minutes after we take it off, she goes right for her
belly. Her incision is healing nicely and looks great.

My question is, how long do I need to reasonably keep the collar on?
It looks like it is healed, and some of the sutures are loose as
well.

Also, prior to the spaying, the very offered to pull her baby teeth to
make room for her adult teeth. I had never heard of that before and
told them not to pull anything. is this a money making thing or was
it really needed?

Thanks!!
Old December 21st 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
rich

Alternative is to wrap the belly in cloth - that's what they did in the old days. Maybe a puppy sweater would work.

We do a lot of tame and wild cat spaying and very few continue to go after the sutures after the first ouch. However, we did have one TNR apparently disembowel herself after being released, so you have to be careful.

Rich

Old December 21st 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Docberk

Thanks Rich. how long do you think i need to worry about it until it
is healed?? The surgery was this past Monday.

Old December 21st 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 17:26:47 -0800 (PST), Docberk
wrote:

[...]

None of my 7 wore a collar after their spay / nueter operations and
they had no trouble.

Old December 21st 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Docberk" wrote

Thanks Rich. how long do you think i need to worry about it until it
is healed?? The surgery was this past Monday.

7-10 days.

Old December 22nd 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

You should be able to lose the collar after a week. Was it a stiff collar?
Our vet has started using soft collars that kind of remind me of a cape.
Keeps the kitten from getting at the sutures but isn't nearly as annoying as
the stiff ones and doesn't interfere with them eating.

As for pulling the baby teeth, I don't see where that is necessary unless
the cat is having a problem teething. I've had many, many fosters have both
their baby and permanent canines in at the same time and the worst that
happened is that they didn't eat as well as normal for a day or two until
the baby teeth fell out. The vast majority of the time there is no problem
even with both sets of teeth temporarily co-existing.

Wendy

Old December 23rd 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

When do they lose their baby teeth? I didn't even know that happens
and never noticed even though she bites a lot in play.

Old December 28th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

http://cathelp-online.com/health/kitten3.php

Old December 29th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Also, prior to the spaying, the very offered to pull her baby teeth to
make room for her adult teeth. *I had never heard of that before and
told them not to pull anything. *is this a money making thing or was
it really needed?

I have never heard of this being done. It sounds like a money-making
thing to me.