USING DEODERIZER IN LITTER BOX-HARMFUL TO CAT???

Old May 3rd 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default USING DEODERIZER IN LITTER BOX-HARMFUL TO CAT???

I recently had to put-down my 7 year old domestic short hair due to
kidney failure. This was right around the time of the scare. The
food was Iams, Weight Control w/hairball care-not on the list. I have
another cat who's since been given the once-over by a vet, and all is
fine. I have no reason to suspect the food. I ocassionally spray air
freshner frebreze near and in the litter box in small quantities.
Could this have killed my cat? The cat had been vomiting for at least
a year. We thought nothing of it. Would chemicals such as these
cause immediate illness or long-term degenerative ones like kidney
failure. I'm feeling very guilty right now and need some closure. Am
I right in thinking that liver failure would be caused first? I look
forward to any and all responses. Thank you so much...Joe

Old May 3rd 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I'm sorry to learn about your kitty's passing. Please don't beat
yourself up over using Febreze. I found this:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp

Did you have an autopsy done on your cat? Perhaps that could offer you
some closure and a possible answer to his kidney failure.

Old May 3rd 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On May 3, 4:00 pm, "Rene S." wrote:
I'm sorry to learn about your kitty's passing. Please don't beat
yourself up over using Febreze. I found this:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp

Did you have an autopsy done on your cat? Perhaps that could offer you
some closure and a possible answer to his kidney failure.

Rene: Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me.
Ocassionally I would use Target Cinnamon, but, the end result, I
cannot change. The vet. believes it was genetic. I didn't take the
autopsy route..I would if I had the funding. I'm no stranger to ill
cats. I had a cat with cancer and put him through the whole round of
chemotherapy...only way I had to deal with the problem..his immune
system ultimately stopped responding to the treatment and I had to put
him down..it's tough...our pets are so dear to us..we'll do
anything..I suppose I'm grasping at straws to blame myself...not that
it does any good...thanks for the info. and kind thoughts..Joe

Old May 3rd 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
relkins

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 3, 4:00 pm, "Rene S." wrote:
[...]

It sounds like your kitty had the best parent he could have asked for! I am
very sorry for your loss. I've lost close pets before, and I can empathize
with you and your sadness. It's never easy losing ones' "furry kid", but
time will pass, the ache will subside and the thought of your dear friend
will bring only feelings of happiness.

Beannachd dhut,

Ryan

Old May 3rd 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On May 3, 4:19 pm, "relkins" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On May 3, 4:00 pm, "Rene S." wrote:
[...]

Ryan- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your kind thoughts....I appreciate it..Joe

Old May 3rd 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 3 May, 21:06, wrote:
On May 3, 4:00 pm, "Rene S." wrote:

[...]

Please don''t beat up on yourself. There is no point doing that, it
brings you no answers or closure and only serves to make you feel
guilty, which is ridiculous. It is plain as the nose on your face that
he was much loved, & cancer & Cronic renal failure is something that
even humans don't always get through. It serves "you" no purpose here!

You did the kindest thing you could do for your cat, which was to let
go of your faithful friend when you knew the time had come. I am more
than certain that it had nothing to do with your deodoriser at all...

When a cat goes into chronic renal failure it is because there is a
problem with the kidneys...nothing else. Possibly the vomiting was due
to the CRN, not the frebreze@all!!

I can only tell you that I lost a much beloved cat to the same thing
only last November. He was over 18 years old;older than most of my
children were @ the time, so It crucified me to let him go, but It was
better than continuing to watch him degenerate & loose his dignity any
further. We had him put to sleep by our vet who allowed me to hold him
as he passed away. It was ever so moving, but now that a little time
has passed, I have stopped blaming myself & I recollect the good times
far more often than the bad times.....

I think this is what you need.. time to repair a broken heart. I can't
tell you that it never hurts anymore, but I can tell you that time has
reduced the pain & I think of him fondly every day. He took a piece of
my heart when he crossed that Rainbow Bridge which is his to keep. No
cat could ever replace him, or distract from him either..
But one day you will realise that you have love that you want to share
with another friend who will love and comfort you mutually as would
for them...

You will know when that time arrives, by the love in your heart. Don't
rush things, just think of him fondly...
S;o)

Old May 4th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 3 May, 19:33, wrote:
I recently had to put-down my 7 year old domestic short hair due to
kidney failure. This was right around the time of the scare. The
food was Iams, Weight Control w/hairball care-not on the list. I have
another cat who's since been given the once-over by a vet, and all is
fine. I have no reason to suspect the food. I ocassionally spray air
freshner frebreze near and in the litter box in small quantities.
Could this have killed my cat? The cat had been vomiting for at least
a year. We thought nothing of it. Would chemicals such as these
cause immediate illness or long-term degenerative ones like kidney
failure. I'm feeling very guilty right now and need some closure. Am
I right in thinking that liver failure would be caused first? I look
forward to any and all responses. Thank you so much...Joe

personally I would not use a deodoriser in my kitties litter tray, i
just clean them out very regularly so no real need, and i do wonder
whether releasing these strong deodorising chemicals ni the vicinity
of a cat is really wise anyway. OK the producers of febreze have said
that it is safe etc etc but i just think that kitty noses are extra
sensitive to things and so are their constitutions and i would not
want to assault their delicate senses with such artificial smells and
synthetic freshening devices because I worry abotu the possible bad
reactions they may cause. I just don't want to risk it.

also even thuogh the maufacturers have said that they are perfectly
safe for pets, how do they know in what quantites you are using them?
the makers may not know that someone is practically immersing their
home inthe stuff which cannot be good. Another thing which i wonder is
whether there will be cats (and knowing my luck it will be one of my
cats) who are allergic to the chemicals used in these products and
produce a bad reaction as a result, after all humans show weird
reactions and allergies to all sorts of stuff we deem 'safe' (I get
very bad skin reactions to the glue on normal sticking plasters, god
knows why). Whilst these products are labelled as safe for use with
pets it may have been that your cat was particularly sensitive to it,
who knows? Again, for this reason and others i would not use such
products, I would not want my kitties to suffer any nasty adverse
effects of chemicals I have used because of some paranoia about a few
smells about the place (which to be honest are a good sign that it is
about blooming time to change the kitty litter asap).

this is probably not what you wanted to hear i am sure, but remember
that i am not sayign that it was definitely the febreze, or that you
killed your cat or intentionally had a hand in it or anything like
that, but are you really sure you can trust the advice of a
manufacturer who may not know how you are using their product and who
also probably does not take into account the physiological
idiosyncracies of particularly cats and dogs in response to their
products?

anyway it is still very sad and i feel for your loss, you could have
an autopsy to get some answers but that obviously would not bring your
kitty back. maybe next time just dont use these products if you are
really worried? after all what is a few smells around the place.

bookie (waiting for a barrage of abuse for airing her opinions on
something)

Old May 4th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 May, 00:30, bookie wrote:
On 3 May, 19:33, wrote:

[...]

ROFLOL, Not from me you won't!!
Every single one of us is entitled to their own opinion & I find it
refreshing to hear the voice of reason sometimes, especially from
you!!

Personally, I don't think that it had anything to do with the death of
her cat, especially if they had already diagnosed her with renal
failure..

but I do take on board your comments regarding a cats sense of smell
being 10 x sharper than our own & the fact that they might not smell
as nice to them as it does to us. My reasoning for this stems from
asthma. I suffer from asthma & if anyone comes within a room away from
me, I know when one has been used. It takes my breath away,
literally..& I can taste it too. So, therefor if cats have to go
through anything similar to that, then they have my sympathy....
Back to soap and warm water again...

Is detol a safe antiseptic that can be used to clean a cat litter?
SIGH
S;o)

Old May 4th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 4 May, 01:16, sheelagh wrote:
On 4 May, 00:30, bookie wrote:

On 3 May, 19:33, wrote:

[...]

S;o)- Hide quoted text -

not sure, anything phenylated is toxic to them though, so TCP
(trichlorophenicol) is out of the question, but I woudln't use an
antiseptic anyway I would use a disinfectant

according to one book i have with me now, cetrimide disinfectants,
quaternary ammonium compounds are ok, and the safest is dodecine so
you would need to check the labels on things to see what they have,
and dilute it well..I have used a well diluted solution of milton
sterilising fluid in the past, after jasper died and before getting
jessie as couldn't afford to buy new things, that seemed ok (well she
is still here and in very rude health).

things with iodine in them, hexachlorophene, phenols (such as TCP) and
coaltar are NOT safe to use..

can't find any brand names as yet

Old May 4th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 May, 01:49, bookie wrote:
On 4 May, 01:16, sheelagh wrote:

On 4 May, 00:30, bookie wrote:

On 3 May, 19:33, wrote:

[...]

can't find any brand names as yet- Hide quoted text -

How about Zoflora?
Slightly less expensive, but also might be too whiffy?

If I do have to use Milton's, I will. It was the cost bit that made me
think twice... but most stores do their own versions of it, don't
they?

Have you any idea how many litter trays we have to put down here,
ROFLOL..??!!#@?
I calculated that next week we will have 6 @ any given time, possibly
more if we have a finicky Kitty's too... That is quite a bit of
milton's every other day, isn't it?
Thanks for the advice regarding TCP BTW. When i was a child, I can
remember my dad calling TCP, TOM CATS ****, & He wasn't too far wrong
there;o)
S;o)

Another use for cat litter dgk Cat health & behaviour 0 June 13th 06 02:01 PM
AK cat litter? sandra Cat anecdotes 0 May 28th 06 07:18 PM
looking for a new litter Elizabeth Blake Cat health & behaviour 50 July 15th 03 07:10 AM