cost of neutering

Old March 9th 04, 12:35 PM
Wendy

Default cost of neutering

The dh called the vet to schedule Boots' snipping. He has to go for blood
work (not an option) tomorrow for $60. Then he gets neutered next Monday.
They quoted a cost of between $110 and $170 for the neutering. I never
remember a neutering having a price range before. It used to be a flat fee.
What could possibly change the cost? They said something about anesthesia
costs could vary but the dh never repeats a conversation well so I'm not
sure what that means.

Old March 9th 04, 01:42 PM
Sherry

The dh called the vet to schedule Boots' snipping. He has to go for blood
work (not an option) tomorrow for $60. Then he gets neutered next Monday.
They quoted a cost of between $110 and $170 for the neutering. I never
remember a neutering having a price range before. It used to be a flat fee.
What could possibly change the cost? They said something about anesthesia
costs could vary but the dh never repeats a conversation well so I'm not
sure what that means.

Wendy, I know vet prices vary wildly. But that sounds really pricey. I also
have never had pre-op bloodwork on a young, healthy male prior to neuter
*required*.
I'm not a cheapskate when it comes to vet care. At all. But it sounds like your
vet is milking it a bit, and I can't imagine whaat the $50 leeway he's allowed
is for. So the total cost, including bloodwork, is as much as $230 for a
castration? If it cost that much here, we would never get most people to do it.
Good luck to Boots!

Sherry
Sherry

Old March 9th 04, 01:48 PM
Sunflower

"Wendy" wrote in message
The dh called the vet to schedule Boots' snipping. He has to go for blood
work (not an option) tomorrow for $60. Then he gets neutered next Monday.
They quoted a cost of between $110 and $170 for the neutering. I never
remember a neutering having a price range before. It used to be a flat

fee.
What could possibly change the cost? They said something about anesthesia
costs could vary but the dh never repeats a conversation well so I'm not
sure what that means.

I work with a vet who provides low cost spay/neuter to the community through
the Humane Society. SHe charges $30 for a cat, no bloodwork required. I'm
sure your local Humane Society could point you to someone who could be a bit
more economical. Even our local full service vet only charges about $70.
If you are in one of the more expensive areas of the country, I can see that
maybe being up to $110, but $170 is steep. And getting bloodwork for a
young healthy male with no history of any problems is padding the bill.
Many drug companies are pushing the latest and greatest anesthesia solutions
that are quite pricy. It's NOT necessary to use the latest and greatest. My
vet uses a combination of a bit of injected ketamine with ISO gas, with no
problems and she's done over 12,000 surgeries with minimal casualties. She
has almost zero overhead though and isn't in a high traffic location and
isn't paying for a new laser or dental table, which the vet who charges $70
is. Not griping about the difference, just explaining it. If you want
access to the latest technology at your vet, it's got to be paid for
somewhere somehow.

Old March 9th 04, 03:37 PM
Cathy Friedmann

I paid approx. $75 to have a male cat neutered 4 years ago. (Females cost
more - major surgery.) Whenever people ask for the cost of neutering or
other procedures, the numbers tend to be all over the board; depends on
one's location along we/ the individual vet practice. I don't know why they
gave you a range instead of a flat fee.

Btw - if the bw is for a full panel, I pay $65.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old March 9th 04, 04:56 PM
Wendy

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message
I paid approx. $75 to have a male cat neutered 4 years ago. (Females cost
more - major surgery.) Whenever people ask for the cost of neutering or
other procedures, the numbers tend to be all over the board; depends on
one's location along we/ the individual vet practice. I don't know why

they
gave you a range instead of a flat fee.

Btw - if the bw is for a full panel, I pay $65.

Cathy

I wonder if I should call and ask why they require the blood work.

Old March 9th 04, 08:01 PM
Steve G

"Sunflower" wrote in message ...
(...)
more economical. Even our local full service vet only charges about $70.
If you are in one of the more expensive areas of the country, I can see that
maybe being up to $110, but $170 is steep.

My vet charges ~$150 with some leeway for that figure to creep upward.

In fact, I'm musing on neutering a gerbil (just for fun, you
understand) and it's the same cost. I.e., approximately 30 times the
purchase cost of the animal! It would be cheaper to let him have
prolific mad gerbil sex and spend the cash on food 'n' cages instead
of bollock removal.

In fact, the cost of (cat) neutering made me realise what good value
the animal shelter provides - all cats come pre neutered with an
adoption fee of c. $85. Also, the one cat I obtained from a breeder
came pre-neutered, again quasi-saving me a wedge of cash.

I actually have a breakdown of the neutering charges from my vet, but
cannot recall off the top of my head what the details were. I do
recall quite a lot of the cost went on drugs / anaesthesia. Ketamine,
Iso and Morphine IIRC.

Steve.