SO Angry!

Old March 19th 04, 01:02 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:49:25 GMT, "nimue"
wrote:

Kristine Kochanski wrote:
Single people do leave cats alone for two nights. It's not that
unusual.

It's not unusual but it's very wrong IMO. If you can't look after 'em,
don't have 'em.

Really? You think it's wrong to leave a cat alone for a weekend?

Absolutely.

If you
leave them plenty of food and water I don't see what the problem is. Maybe
I will get flamed here, but I really don't. I have done this many times, as
have my friends. One of my friends works at an animal hospital, but she has
left her cats alone for the weekend, too. Why not? I mean, if the cat is
healthy and not pregnant and doing fine, what's the big deal?

The big deal is cats need company and stimulation. How would you like
to be trapped in a house all weekend with nobody to play with?! Would
you leave a child alone all weekend so long as it was healthy and
enough food and water? I don't think so.
Old March 19th 04, 02:01 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

wrote:

Kristine Kochanski wrote:
[...]

Using that analogy (cat and child)...would you have a young child spayed or
neutered? Would you have a young child tattoed and microchipped should s/he
become lost? Should I not even be leaving my cat home unattended while I go
to work for the day? I certainly wouldn't leave a child alone in that
situation so according to your analogy, I shouldn't leave my cat during the
day, either. I would send a child to school--should I send my cat to
school, too?

The child/cat analogy is one of the silliest ones to use when trying to make
a point. Fact is, cats and humans are very different. Cats are far more
self-sufficient than young children and far more independent. And not all
cats need company and stimulation. Some prefer very much to be left alone
as much as possible.

That being said, the *only* reason I would never leave my cat alone for two
days would be because she might become sick or injured during that time.
With some illnesses or injuries, it is crucial to get a cat to the vet asap.
If she were home alone, who would bring her to the vet?

rona (happy Kitty has a vacation home)

Old March 19th 04, 02:53 PM
Cat Protector

Well if you have two cats then what is wrong with leaving the cats alone for
a couple of days as long as they have plenty of food and water? Of course
with me when I have gone away for a weekend I still have a family member
come over to check on my cats.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old March 19th 04, 03:00 PM
Cat Protector

I believe they do. My cats when I go away are right there to greet me when I
get home. Unlike yours they will not stare at the door when I am home. Of
course cats spend some time on the astral plane so maybe your cats are
watching the door for visitors.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message

Er, yes, and they understand English do they? And can think in human
spatial terms?? You only have to look at a cat hiding behind behind
something - it thinks cos you can't see it, it can't see you! I tell
my cats I'm going out, and sometimes they're sitting at the door when
I come back. Then again, they spend hours sitting staring at the door
when I'm *in* so that's not a very good gauge of their understanding.

Old March 19th 04, 03:10 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:04:26 +0000, Gwenhwyfaer de Tierveil
wrote:

Quoth Kristine Kochanski:
Single people do leave cats alone for two nights. It's not that
unusual.

It's not unusual but it's very wrong IMO. If you can't look after 'em,
don't have 'em.

Please don't turn this into another indoor/outdoor debate. Your opinion
is a perfectly valid opinion, but it doesn't make opposite opinions
invalid, especially not when they're backed up with evidence.

Of course it's just my opinion, I don't go around removing cats from
homes that are treated in a way I find abhorrent! I find lots of
things other cat owners do quite unbearable but I have my own beliefs
and I have to live by them - and if I had to leave my cats regularly I
wouldn't have them, it's as simple as that. That's my opinion as a cat
owner and I'm entitled to express it.
Old March 19th 04, 03:10 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:04:26 +0000, Gwenhwyfaer de Tierveil

Quoth Kristine Kochanski:

Old March 19th 04, 03:23 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:01:10 -0600, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
The big deal is cats need company and stimulation. How would you like
to be trapped in a house all weekend with nobody to play with?! Would
you leave a child alone all weekend so long as it was healthy and
enough food and water? I don't think so.

Using that analogy (cat and child)...would you have a young child spayed or
neutered?

If it was going to go out and shag at random with nobody to look after
its offspring, yes.

Would you have a young child tattoed and microchipped should s/he
become lost?

Um.. some people already do have their children chipped and it'll
probably become more widespread in coming years if paranoia escalates
at current level.

Should I not even be leaving my cat home unattended while I go
to work for the day?

Sorry, I just happen to believe a cat should not be locked in a house
alone all day and night. I've deliberately chosen a career where I can
work from home because my cats' welfare is important to me. I like to
be able to keep an eye on them, feed them, play with them when it
suits them. If I had other priorities I'd have to reconsider whether
cats were the right pet for me. Obviously it depends on the individual
cat - like you say some like solidarity, but on the whole I think it's
better to have at least 2 for feline companionship.

Going off on a tangent slightly, but yes, cats can look after
themselves to a degree, single dogs though, I believe, really should
not be shut in a room all day while the family go out to work. Yes,
millions of people do it, but that doesn't make it right. Then they
wonder why the dog howls and destroys the furnishings... jeez, it's
not rocket science.

I certainly wouldn't leave a child alone in that
situation so according to your analogy, I shouldn't leave my cat during the
day, either. I would send a child to school--should I send my cat to
school, too?

I'd love to send my cats to a cat-school! ;-)

The child/cat analogy is one of the silliest ones to use when trying to make
a point. Fact is, cats and humans are very different.

Indeed. Cats are not humans, so you can't say 'mummy won't be back til
5pm so behave now' and expect them to go 'ok, I'll just sit here and
sleep for 8 hours til you come back'.

That being said, the *only* reason I would never leave my cat alone for two
days would be because she might become sick or injured during that time.
With some illnesses or injuries, it is crucial to get a cat to the vet asap.
If she were home alone, who would bring her to the vet?

Exactly.

Angry cat Jack Cat health & behaviour 24 December 4th 03 10:26 PM
I am so angry (vent) MaryL Cat health & behaviour 76 November 2nd 03 06:08 PM