A tribute to Domonic House of Batson

Old October 11th 03, 10:11 AM
Batson

Default A tribute to Domonic House of Batson

It has been almost a year since our sweet Dommie left us. Nov 30th 2002 was
his last day here on Earth.
He first came to us as a tiny kitten about 3 months old. Someone from our
church said her cat had had kittens and only one was left and that he was
going to the p*und if someone didn't adopt him. Well, since my husband
(fiancée at the time) had recently lost a black kitten, I figured that this
would somehow make up for his loss. At this time we already had 2 cats whom
*we* lived with; Big Boy (RB) a lovely Blue Point Siamese (with a lovely
voice) and Peepers (RB) a tabby-on-white who was a true cat's cat in every
way. At first hubby said 3 cats were too many and I even tried to give him
to the neighbor lady who lived downstairs! After coming to visit him
everyday, she finally said, "why don't you just take him home?" And she
handed him back to me! It wasn't long before I was in love and he was
allowed to stay. Dommie fit right in as being the "young tormentor" of the
older cats. He soon grew to be called "DommieSon" and I was "Dommie's
Mommie". He was with us in our first apartment in 1983 then in the 3 moves
after that, the 4th being our final as his home.

When he was younger he loved to climb trees and had an affinity for birds
which was probably the worst thing he ever did in his whole 18 1/2 years.
Although he was the sweetest cat I ever had, he was never one to get on a
lap. He smurgled next to me in the bed for years (before the kids came) and
loved to ride on my shoulder. One of his favorite things to do was bat at
and pretend to eat my long hair. Both my mom and hubby's mom always loved
him best and would lavish their attention on him when they visited. I guess
it was as close to a grandson as they thought they would ever get. You see,
after being infertile for 11 yrs, we were blessed with 2 children 23 months
apart. Dommie took this in stride as the sweet boy he was. Both kids loved
him up to the end and still ask about him at times.

After Dommie came Otis Spunkmeyer (wink-wink of Cinni Koster) then Licorice
aka Licky (RB) Abigail (Abbie) (RB), then Matilda Marie. He never seemed to
mind the others when they came and went. There were numerous foster kitties
also and he was curious but tolerant of them. Way back in 1986 we took a
mini-vacation to see Expo '86 in Vancouver Catnada. Since we were staying
out in the country at the in-laws at the time, we had built in cat-sitters
for Dommie and Peep. I will never forget the day we came driving home, got
out of the car and here comes Dommie with the worst "cussing out" a cat has
ever done to me about anything! You'd think we had left him for good and
that's about what he said as I looked into his kitty face. At least he made
me feel loved..... always. He was the son I thought I would never have.
Always wondered what the neighbors thought as I called DommieSon out the
front door! Cats are family and no one will ever tell me different.

Then one day Meowmie was surfing and stumbled upon the most curious
newsgroup, the cats were actually speaking! What a novel idea! Dommie and
Abbie (RB) jumped right in. He even managed to get himself a wink-wink named
Buddy Jo (RB) and get wed-winked! It was a bitter-sweet time as Buddy Jo
went to the Bridge the next day. They had some wonderful dates at a lovely
place near Mt. Hood called Ramona Falls. They were so suited to each other
in personality, he was a bit shy and she was a little spunky thing. Through
their meeting I have met one of my best friends Sandy (Buddy Jo's Meowmie).
She was able to meet him when she came for a visit in 1999. He "christened"
her luggage!!! Naughty cat! Isn't it amazing how cats can bring humans
together?!

Well our sweet Dommie started losing his health about 2001. It was
discovered that he had extremely high blood pressure that manifested itself
as cloudy looking eyes. I mistakenly thought this was the normal cataracts
of old age. Not so. I took him to TED about every 3 months to be checked up
and not long after his initial diagnosis, he lost his hearing almost
completely. My poor baby was deaf and almost blind until the high BP meds
took effect. His hearing was gone from his age, 17 at the time, which I
guess is quite common. About 3 weeks before he left us, a stray cat,
insisted that this was his new home. A long haired, orange male tabby came
and demanded to be let in. I took him to TED to be fixed although he wasn't
broken and he was officially a "rescue cat" with the cat rescue club I
belong to. I wish I could say he and Dommie got along but they didn't. Poor
little Dommie hissed at everything he wasn't familiar with. It was no wonder
since he couldn't see or hear but boy could he smell!

Although we did what we could, time and the illnesses took their toll. The
day before we made the final decision to take him to TED's, he was sitting
on the kitchen floor and just fell over. It broke my heart cause he didn't
even try to get up. I knew it was time, actually past time since I had been
getting the advice that his quality of life was not what it should be. How
do you give up your baby? When they are taken from you, you have no choice.
This was one of the hardest choices of my life. One thing I did choose not
to do was to take him to TED's. It was too much for me to see him breathe
his final breath. I wanted my last memory of him to be feeling of his once
luxuriant fur in my face, to hold him on my shoulder for the last time, to
let him try and "eat" my hair and to cry tears all over him until he was
wet. My husband took him in for me and said his goodbyes. I wish I could say
that the end was peaceful but it wasn't. I won't go into details, only to
say that I made the right decision in not being there. It would have just
about killed me.

He's been gone now almost a year, his little box of ashes is on my dresser
next to Abbies, along with his collar and picture. On my bed is a Beanie
Buddy named Onyx. He is a large black Persian stuffed cat with gold eyes,
just like Dommies. Even though he wasn't full Persian, his Grandmother Aunt
Jemima was. Dommie used to sleep with this cat although I doubt with his
blindness that he knew what it was. I knew that someday soon, all I would
have to hold would be the stuffed one. Onyx is now the "Dommie cat" who
lives on the bottom of the bed. It's good to hold him and reminisce about
the sweet little black boy kitty who stole my heart and will always be loved
and missed terribly.

I know these things should have been said after he passed on last November
but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The grief was too
much. Time has helped to heal some of the heartbreak so now it's a bit
eaiser. Too many kitties on the list this year for sure and one in
particular that I would pay anything for it not to be.

Renée (Dommie's Mommie)

and the current Batson Cats
Otis Spunkmeyer
Matilda Marie and
Simon Peter

Old October 11th 03, 07:15 PM
Mietze

"Batson" wrote:

snippt wiff reeluktans, caws it's a grayt tribyoot to a speshul
starkitty

I know these things should have been said after he passed on last November
but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The grief was too
much. Time has helped to heal some of the heartbreak so now it's a bit
eaiser. Too many kitties on the list this year for sure and one in
particular that I would pay anything for it not to be.

Renée (Dommie's Mommie)

and the current Batson Cats
Otis Spunkmeyer
Matilda Marie and
Simon Peter

Auntee Renée, fangu somuch fur dis wunnerful tribyoot. Wee reememfur
Domonic (an Abby, too), an always liked him furrymuch. Hee gayf a
speech (I fink it mite haff bin his furrst wun, hee wus so shy an
sweet innit) at a Memorial fur wun ov mine clowder memfurs, an mymom
luffd him fur dat.

Wee no dat dere is no eezy way fur a kitty to leeef, not fur da
hoomins, an dat maykin da deesishun dat it's time is just bowt da
hardisst fing fur a hoomin to do. But yu did rite by Dommie, boff in
his life an in his passin, an nokitty can hope fur bettur.

Wee miss yu, Domonic, but wee no yu'ze healffy an happy and will wayt
payshintly at da Bridge.

Mietze

--
Remove the first m to reply
Old October 12th 03, 03:33 AM
Carol

we are so glad you could finally write a warm and loving tribute to
Domonic. He shared so much of your life, it is obvious that he will
remain a part of you.
P.S. I'm sure BigBoy had a lovely Siamese voice. We all do. Shaina.

Old October 13th 03, 02:08 AM
Beverly Orel

Thank you, Renee, for this lovely tribute to Domonic. He was a special cat,
no doubt about it.

Beverly

om...

Old October 13th 03, 08:57 PM
Ray or Fran

Renée - Thank you for sharing this tribute to Dommie. It is obvious that
he was indeed a very special cat and will forever have a place in your
heart.

Fran

Aunti Renée, youze really luved Dommie and it shows in effury word. Hez
knewz that and hez patiently waiting for youze at the Bridge. Hez happy and
healthy, weze really believes that.

Punkins & Puddi Cat
(offering headbutts of comfort)

(tribute lovingly snipped)

Old October 14th 03, 01:53 AM
spike&stormy

Batson wrote:

It has been almost a year since our sweet Dommie left us. Nov 30th 2002 was
his last day here on Earth.

respeckfully snipt

I know these things should have been said after he passed on last November
but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The grief was too
much. Time has helped to heal some of the heartbreak so now it's a bit
eaiser. Too many kitties on the list this year for sure and one in
particular that I would pay anything for it not to be.

Renée (Dommie's Mommie)

and the current Batson Cats
Otis Spunkmeyer
Matilda Marie and
Simon Peter

Dis issa a lufly tribute to Dommie.

Spike (Dommie's purrday partner) & Stormy

Old October 14th 03, 05:31 AM
ladyjade

"Batson" wrote in message
news
[...]

sniffle sniffle Anti Renee, dat waz a bewtiful tribyewt tu Dommie. Weez
kin see yu miss him alot.

DaRennieKidz

Old October 14th 03, 07:49 AM
Batson

[...]

Fangu Mietz. We miss him furry much and this November 30th will be a
difficult anniversary to celebrate. We still think of Omar and how he was
one of the first kitties who welcomed us to RPCC.....If you type in my name
on a search, you can find the poem that was written for him. It's in the
archives I think.

Renée

Old October 14th 03, 07:51 AM
Batson

Well I wish it hadn't taken so long but I feel that this gave me the
opportunity to do what I should have done last November.
He is still a big part of me and I know it sounds strange but having that
big, black stuffed cat that just "sleeps" on the bed make me not miss him
quite so much. Of course Siamese have thee most lovely voices. I always
enjoy hearing the choir sing!

Renée

"

Old October 14th 03, 07:54 AM
Batson

Thank you Bev, he was furry special just as Siggy was. We still think of him
and miss his posts. Samantha is doing a great job considering the big paws
she had to fill!

Renée ( so glad she has LOTS of pictures of my DommieSon)

"