OT (kinda): Shopping for an electric blanket

Old September 19th 03, 06:48 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Default OT (kinda): Shopping for an electric blanket

It's not really off-topic, since the cats enjoy the electric blanket more
than we do...
I'm shopping for a new electric blanket and I remember seeing one
advertised that didn't have any hard wires. They said, IIRC, that the
heating wires were woven into the fabric, so they were as soft as the
blanket itself. Does anybody know if such a dreamy blanket exists?
Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Regards.

Victor and the Furry Seven

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old September 19th 03, 07:38 PM
Sheenah

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
texas.edu...
It's not really off-topic, since the cats enjoy the electric blanket more
than we do...
I'm shopping for a new electric blanket and I remember seeing one
advertised that didn't have any hard wires. They said, IIRC, that the
heating wires were woven into the fabric, so they were as soft as the
blanket itself. Does anybody know if such a dreamy blanket exists?
Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Regards.

Victor and the Furry Seven

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Hi Victor,

I hope that you will find what you're looking for at either

http://www.comforthouse.com/comfort/matelasse.html

http://bizrate.com/buy/products__cat...n,rf--wgg.html

Sheenah

Old September 19th 03, 10:29 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:48:53 -0500, "Victor M. Martinez"
wrote:

It's not really off-topic, since the cats enjoy the electric blanket more
than we do...
I'm shopping for a new electric blanket and I remember seeing one
advertised that didn't have any hard wires. They said, IIRC, that the
heating wires were woven into the fabric, so they were as soft as the
blanket itself. Does anybody know if such a dreamy blanket exists?
Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Regards.

Victor and the Furry Seven

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

If I remember correctly. electric blankets should rest on top of the
person (cat?) and are not to be laid on, This might be worth
checking. MLB
Old September 19th 03, 11:23 PM
jmcquown

wrote:

It's not really off-topic, since the cats enjoy the electric blanket
more than we do...
I'm shopping for a new electric blanket and I remember seeing one
advertised that didn't have any hard wires. They said, IIRC, that the
heating wires were woven into the fabric, so they were as soft as the
blanket itself. Does anybody know if such a dreamy blanket exists?
Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Regards.

Victor and the Furry Seven

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

If I remember correctly. electric blankets should rest on top of the
person (cat?) and are not to be laid on, This might be worth
checking. MLB

Although, pet supply stores and Drs. foster & smith do sell electric
"heating pads" for cats. Of course, those aren't the same as human electric
blankets.

Side note: I won't use an electric blanket anymore. It was 25 years ago
now, but I had a brand new electric blanket. And I'd been using them since
I was a kid. One night I thought, lawdy something is hot! Turned on the
light... well of course it was... one of the heating elements was literally
burning a hole right through the blanket. And burning my skin. Immediately
took it back to the store. I just don't trust them anymore.

Jill

Old September 20th 03, 04:45 AM
Victor M. Martinez

jmcquown wrote:
m. L. Briggs wrote:
If I remember correctly. electric blankets should rest on top of the
person (cat?) and are not to be laid on, This might be worth
checking. MLB

Don't worry, the blanket is only on when we're in bed.

Although, pet supply stores and Drs. foster & smith do sell electric
"heating pads" for cats. Of course, those aren't the same as human electric
blankets.

I just bought one for the kids. Let's hope there's not a lot of fighting
over it!

took it back to the store. I just don't trust them anymore.

I believe the technology has improved quite a bit lately.

Old September 20th 03, 05:07 AM
Hopitus2

I am with you 100% on this, Jill......I don't trust them either! The only
thought more unpleasant than the wires burning a hole in my hide through the
blanket is the wires burning a hole in one of the 3 meatloafs here, who
would be snoring atop the blanket, thereby creating "hot spots" on the
wiring/blanket! Thankfully, we don't need blankets much here anyway at any
time of year, because of our warm fuzzy meatloafs who glue themselves to us
in chilly weather like heat-seeking missiles.

:

Old September 20th 03, 02:23 PM
Sherry

I am with you 100% on this, Jill......I don't trust them either! The only
thought more unpleasant than the wires burning a hole in my hide through the
blanket is the wires burning a hole in one of the 3 meatloafs here, who
would be snoring atop the blanket, thereby creating "hot spots" on the
wiring/blanket!

Agreed here also. We have one bedlump who is an obsessive "kneader"
anyway...not a good combination with a 110 volts. Besides, homemade quilts are
a "comfort" thing for me. I'd rather sleep under 30 lbs. of quilts + cats if it
gets that cold.

Sherry
Old September 20th 03, 04:56 PM
Motherthing

"Sherry " wrote in message
I am with you 100% on this, Jill......I don't trust them either! The only
thought more unpleasant than the wires burning a hole in my hide through

the
blanket is the wires burning a hole in one of the 3 meatloafs here, who
would be snoring atop the blanket, thereby creating "hot spots" on the
wiring/blanket!

Agreed here also. We have one bedlump who is an obsessive "kneader"
anyway...not a good combination with a 110 volts. Besides, homemade

quilts are
a "comfort" thing for me. I'd rather sleep under 30 lbs. of quilts + cats

if it
gets that cold.

Sherry

I have a huge, ancient quilt given to me by my husbands maternal grandmother
and I LOVE it! DH calls it my 'big flat teddy bear.

--
Motherthing

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers
are starving to death.
- Rosalind Russell

Old September 21st 03, 03:47 AM
Motherthing

"Sherry " wrote in message
I have a huge, ancient quilt given to me by my husbands maternal

grandmother
and I LOVE it! DH calls it my 'big flat teddy bear.

--
Motherthing

Yes!! You know *exactly* what I mean!

Sherry

Yes. I used it for my cover when I had surgery and I'm sure that it helped
me feel more secure.

Old September 22nd 03, 04:24 AM
Stacey

This brings me to what I was gonna post!

Victor - I have a heated mattress pad as opposed to a blanket. I prefer that
much more than the blankets... IMHO anyway! The one we have has separate
heating controls so DH can be cooler while I can be hotter (isn't that
ALWAYS the case?) LOL.

Good luck, I've never heard of the blankets of which you speak!

Stacey