Heat wave in US

Old July 16th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Default Heat wave in US

Bobcat wrote:

The forecast says that here in Toronto it's hitting 97 F today, and
again tomorrow. About Mooch, he gets a fresh container of cold water in
this weather every few hours with ice cubes! Funny, though. Cats are
descendents of desert creatures and don't drink much water - but
apparently when they do they store it up, as does Mooch. Oh please -
don't bring up the subject of hydro meter and the bill that's sure to
follow! There's an incentive plan here in which you get a discount if
you use less electricity. Do without our air conditioners these days?
Har!

I haven't turned on the AC yet today. It is also hot and humid here in
Ottawa. I kept my blinds
drawn and the windows closed. That seems to be able to keep the cool
air in as I did have
the AC on last evening. Rusty doesn't seem to mind the heat. He went
behind the blinds
to sun himself.

Winnie

Old July 16th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:17:50 GMT, "Jo Firey"
wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
. ..

"Bobcat" wrote in

wrote:
I didn't know it got really hot in Canada!!

The Okanagan Valley can also get scorching hot.

Do without our air conditioners these days? Har!

The heat index here has been soaring into the hundreds for over a week,
with no end in sight, high humidity too. Not much fun when you have no
a/c.

I grew up in Washington DC in the fifties when almost no one had central AC
(or car AC). On the really hot nights mom would put sheets in the washer to
get them wet and then to spin most of the water out. We would go to sleep
on the floor in the basement covered with the damp sheets.

Then as the upstairs would start to cool off we would wake up and wander
upstairs to our beds.

If you couldn't get heat stroke any other way, there was always summer
church "camp meetings" and tent revivals.

Now I wonder how we survived. But I know plenty of people still do.

When my family moved back to Nashville, Tennessee in 1976, my father
initially refused to have air conditioning in the house. He was
skinny, and found most people's preferred level of air conditioning to
be too cold. He changed his mind after a couple of years, but we
still had air conditioning only downstairs, not in my attic bedroom. I
used an electric fan in the attic, and, until my sister moved out to
attend graduate school, I slept on the living room couch during the
hottest part of summer.

During the no-air-conditioning period, my father would sometimes go
sit in the basement. I tried that at times; while it was cooler than
upstairs, the humidity was literally at the 100% mark, with moisture
condensing on the walls. I would usually go back up to ground level
after only a few minutes.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old July 16th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On 16 Jul 2006 14:39:20 -0700, "Winnie" wrote:

Jo Firey wrote:
We are headed for 104 today, 106 tomorrow and 105 the next day. That should
create enough of a pressure variant to drag in an ocean breeze by Wednesday.

Not that I have any intention of going outdoors in the heat. I'm not
normally a morning person but when you have to do anything you want to do by
10AM including wearing out a 9 month old Border Collie you get up early.

Same here. I went out for groceries arount 9 am. yesterday. Stayed put
at home after I got
home. I skipped two free outdoor concerts at the Governor General's
residence. I feel sorry
for the ceremonial guards with their heavy hats.

Winnie

My company's annual picnic is this Saturday. I plan on going, but
don't plan to over-exert in the heat.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old July 16th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

I haven't turned on the AC yet today. It is also hot and humid here in
Ottawa. I kept my blinds
drawn and the windows closed. That seems to be able to keep the cool
air in as I did have
the AC on last evening. Rusty doesn't seem to mind the heat. He went
behind the blinds
to sun himself.

Winnie

It's HOT here, but not as hot as it's been in the past. However, I'm
not dealing with it very well at all. Maybe it's age, or maybe it's
the asthma. I can't BREATHE this year! My inhalers are getting a
workout. I miss being young.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old July 16th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Miles

"Ann" wrote in message

Everyone be careful in this heat. I saw on the weather report this morning
most of the U.S.A. will be having a heat wave. Here in Connecticut we are
expected to have temperatures 95 to 100 with high humidity.////

The UK is due to hit 35 degrees Centigrade this week. Today it hit 32,
tomorrow more of the same. I'm lucky as I'm used top the tropics. The
cats are so hot, they don't know what to do with themselves apart from
sleep in the flowerbeds in the shade.

Helen M

Old July 16th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
H. Adam Stevens

"Jane" wrote in message
ups.com...

I haven't turned on the AC yet today. It is also hot and humid here in
Ottawa. I kept my blinds
drawn and the windows closed. That seems to be able to keep the cool
air in as I did have
the AC on last evening. Rusty doesn't seem to mind the heat. He went
behind the blinds
to sun himself.

Winnie

It's HOT here, but not as hot as it's been in the past. However, I'm
not dealing with it very well at all. Maybe it's age, or maybe it's
the asthma. I can't BREATHE this year! My inhalers are getting a
workout. I miss being young.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

The first half of the year was the warmest on record for the United States.

The government reported Friday that the average temperature for the 48
contiguous United States from January through June was 51.8 degrees
Fahrenheit, or 3.4 degrees above average for the 20th century.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/14/D8IRSULOB.html

Cheers & Beers

(COLD beers)

H.

Old July 16th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon

loving every second of it. I'm a HVAC repairman and installer. Bring
on the heat.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Ann" wrote in message
Everyone be careful in this heat. I saw on the weather report this
morning
most of the U.S.A. will be having a heat wave. Here in Connecticut we
are
expected to have temperatures 95 to 100 with high humidity.

Ann

see pictures of Sam at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos

Old July 16th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Randy

Cheryl wrote:
On Sun 16 Jul 2006 03:47:56p, Randy wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
(news
Any links where I can purchase one of these?

I saw this nifty gadget on an infomercial this morning. Today this
would be a welcome relief. But I think I'll just stay inside in the
AC.

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca.../sku__SI758SL2

--
Cheryl

Looks interesting. Thanks for the link.

Randy

http://www.crmartin.zoomshare.com

Heat wave CATherine Cat anecdotes 15 July 22nd 05 06:02 AM
is my cat in heat? Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 0 February 28th 05 06:00 PM
Heat Wave Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 43 July 15th 04 07:42 AM
question: is my cat in heat? RW Cat health & behaviour 12 February 4th 04 03:23 PM