Litter ??

Old July 17th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shirley2307

Default Litter ??

I've been using the Fresh Step and altho I like it, now that there are 3
in the house (Rex, Loki & Loki's maMA) I've decided to switch to the
Tidy Cat for Multiple Cats.

There was some discussion awhile back about the difference between plain
Tidy Cats and the Tidy Cats w/crystals. I haven't been able to find
those posts.

Could someone who uses either post here and give me opinions as to why
you like either??

Thanks

--
ShirleyB,
Rexie, Loki and maMA's Mom

Pictures of His Majesty, Rex: http://tinyurl.com/bvtjv
Pictures of Loki: http://tinyurl.com/9exao
Pictures of Mama & Kits: http://tinyurl.com/e5edz
Pictures of Bruver: http://tinyurl.com/f5jrq

Homepage: http://jumi-shirley-butler.com
Old July 17th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Shirley2307 wrote:
Could someone who uses either post here and give me opinions as to why
you like either??

I don't use either of those brands, but I highly recommend any brand
with activated charcoal in it. The carbon adsorbs (not absorbs) odors
and locks them in for good. I believe crystals are made of zeolite,
which also adsorbs ammonia, etc.
Our favorite litter has just been discontinued (EverFresh with carbon)
so we're looking at alternatives.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 17th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Victor Martinez wrote:

I don't use either of those brands, but I highly recommend any brand
with activated charcoal in it. The carbon adsorbs (not absorbs) odors
and locks them in for good.

Well, I had to look up "adsorb", as I'd never heard that word before.
Interesting. How is that a better way to cut down on odors than
*absorption*? Just curious.

Joyce
Old July 17th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Victor Martinez wrote:

Shirley2307 wrote:

Could someone who uses either post here and give me opinions as to why
you like either??

I don't use either of those brands, but I highly recommend any brand
with activated charcoal in it. The carbon adsorbs (not absorbs) odors
and locks them in for good. I believe crystals are made of zeolite,
which also adsorbs ammonia, etc.
Our favorite litter has just been discontinued (EverFresh with carbon)
so we're looking at alternatives.

My favorite seems to have been discontinued, too - at least
I can't find it in any of my regular supermarkets, anymore.
Fresh Step Scoopable Cedar, which I've used for several
years. (It IS expensive, though - now I'm suddenly
"retired", I'd be happy to find something cheaper, if it
clumps well and has good odor control.)

Old July 18th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Shirley2307 wrote:
I've been using the Fresh Step and altho I like it, now that there
are 3 in the house (Rex, Loki & Loki's maMA) I've decided to switch
to the Tidy Cat for Multiple Cats.

There was some discussion awhile back about the difference between
plain Tidy Cats and the Tidy Cats w/crystals. I haven't been able to
find those posts.

Could someone who uses either post here and give me opinions as to why
you like either??

I only have *one* cat but I used to use Tidy Cats Scoop for Multiple Cats.
It worked fine. Then I switched to their *clumping* litter; love it! I
tried the crystal type when it was on sale and Persia used it but I could
tell she didn't like stepping on those big chunks. Now I use the equivalent
of Tidy Cats clumping - it's a cheaper brand called Kitty Diggin's. I can't
tell the difference between it and the Tidy Cats formula; it clumps exactly
the same for 1/3 of the price. Persia likes this stuff.

Jill

Old July 18th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Sam wrote:
I just *knew* that Doctor Victor (PhD in Chemistry if I remember right)
would have the answer! I was wondering myself. Thanks, Victor!

Chemical Engineering, actually. I remember the first time I saw the word
adsorption, I thought the teacher didn't know how to spell. ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 18th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Jo Firey wrote:
So absorption is more like wrapping it up and adsorption is more like glue.

I think a good example is to think of absorption as a sponge. It will
take in liquid, but it will give it right back easily. Adsorption is
more like litter. You can get the water out, but it will take some
effort.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he