Unemployment: some good things

Old July 17th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

Default Unemployment: some good things

The commute is a lot shorter, traffic is lighter and fuel efficiency
is outstanding.

There is a much better stocked fridge - at least for now.

KITTIES! And they want to cuddle!

Wife doesn't file harassment lawsuit if you make sexual remarks.

I can surf the web, and there is no VP of Inappropriate Network Use
to complain.

NSFW is not an issue.

WIFEY! And she wants to cuddle!

Sleeping later, and naps. Sometimes with WIFEY! and/or KITTIES!

Brain is less paralyzed for most of the day.

Personal projects actually make slight forward progress.

Better coffee.

The State might actually give me a little money to hunt for work.

COMPUTER BOOKS! And they want... Uh never mind. This is probably a
good place to stop...

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old July 18th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bobblespin

Mark Edwards wrote in news:12bnsppt4sck143
@news.supernews.com:

[...]

Good for you - you're seeing the glass as half full instead of half
empty.
Old July 18th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

[snips]

No cluons were harmed when bobblespin wrote:
Good for you - you're seeing the glass as half full instead of half
empty.

But the liquid in the glass has gone flat and tastes really bad.
Hmmm... needs some more bourbon (big grin).

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old July 18th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

I also recently became unemployed and I now, honestly, can't see how I
ever had the time to work! I had fantasized about having a rest,
catching up on various craft projects at home and suchlike, but it
ain't possible. I just don't have that much spare time.

I certainly don't miss the 4+ hours of commuting each day (2+ hours
each way); I don't miss being stressed about my performance (or lack
thereof); I don't miss being away from home for 12-14 hours each week
day and having to spend all weekend frantically trying to get household
chores done. I even don't miss the salary that much because my life is
so much better than it was. Mind you, DH has a job that is sufficient
to support both of us if we're careful (which we are).

Persephone can now indulge her obsessions (she disappears into an
alternate universe when I'm out of the house) and Spock has become just
so much more friendly and outgoing since I'm around to amuse him. Fox,
the d*g, also loves having extra people about, although I'm not nearly
as much fun as the builders (who accidentally leave him bits of their
lunch; they should know better than to leave their sandwiches lying
about at dog-nose level!).

So, good on you Mark. Welcome to sanity.
Tish

Old July 18th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Tish wrote:
[...]

There is a book called The Joy of Not Working. It is a good read.

While I miss having a regular paycheque, I certainly don't miss work. I
don't have to worry about meeting deadlinds, expectations and such. No
putting up with uncooperative co-workers, others taking credits for
your work, back stabbing, or office politics.
I have my volunteer work and people appreciate my help. If I don't
like it, I just quit and do something else. My time is my own to do as
I please. I have more time for exercises and
cooking. It has been great.

Winnie

Old July 18th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Mark Edwards wrote:
[snips]

No cluons were harmed when bobblespin wrote:
Good for you - you're seeing the glass as half full instead of half
empty.

But the liquid in the glass has gone flat and tastes really bad.
Hmmm... needs some more bourbon (big grin).

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

LOL I truly wish you luck in finding a job but really, isn't it great to
have some time to do things *you* want to do rather than what someone else
tells you to do?

I'm still looking for a job and send out 3-4 resumes a week, even in fields
I have no interest in (but could do the job). But man, I really wish I
didn't have to go back to work. For one thing, I wouldn't get to travel
with my LLL at will. For another, Persia is so used to me being around now
I'm not sure what she'd do if I started being gone 8 hours every day for at
least 5 days a week. I'll admit I've gotten spoiled rotten not working, but
I have no income to speak of so... (sigh)

Jill

Old July 18th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Winnie wrote:
There is a book called The Joy of Not Working. It is a good read.

While I miss having a regular paycheque, I certainly don't miss work. I
don't have to worry about meeting deadlinds, expectations and such. No
putting up with uncooperative co-workers, others taking credits for
your work, back stabbing, or office politics.
I have my volunteer work and people appreciate my help. If I don't
like it, I just quit and do something else. My time is my own to do as
I please. I have more time for exercises and
cooking. It has been great.

Winnie

Isn't it great? Volunteer work is the best. You're so appreciated! And
like you said, if it gets to be a drag, quit and find something else!

Sherry

Old July 19th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"jmcquown" wrote:
I'm still looking for a job and send out 3-4 resumes a week, even in fields
I have no interest in (but could do the job). But man, I really wish I
didn't have to go back to work. For one thing, I wouldn't get to travel
with my LLL at will. For another, Persia is so used to me being around now
I'm not sure what she'd do if I started being gone 8 hours every day for at
least 5 days a week. I'll admit I've gotten spoiled rotten not working, but
I have no income to speak of so... (sigh)

Have you considered looking for work in LLL's geographical area?
Persia would be okay - you'll still have weekends together.

Old July 19th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Takayuki wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote:
I'm still looking for a job and send out 3-4 resumes a week, even in
fields I have no interest in (but could do the job). But man, I
really wish I didn't have to go back to work. For one thing, I
wouldn't get to travel with my LLL at will. For another, Persia is
so used to me being around now I'm not sure what she'd do if I
started being gone 8 hours every day for at least 5 days a week.
I'll admit I've gotten spoiled rotten not working, but I have no
income to speak of so... (sigh)

Have you considered looking for work in LLL's geographical area?
Persia would be okay - you'll still have weekends together.

HEHEH That's pretty funny. Where he lives is basically an "artists
community" and tourist town. There's not much in the way of employment
there or even in the neighboring towns, which are pretty small. But thanks
for the suggestion!

Jill