Reminded of other Otis destruction

Old July 18th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

Default Reminded of other Otis destruction

Last night, the kids and Fred slept outside in the backyard in tents.

I remembered that Otis was not allowed outside at all while the tents were
up since last time he did some serious damage. He walked up to the $400
North Face tent while the fly was off drying, and ripped holes in the
mosquito netting of the tent with outstretched claws. If you want to see my
husband go insane, stick him in a tent with a mosquito.

Memories...

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old July 19th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Susan M" wrote:
Last night, the kids and Fred slept outside in the backyard in tents.

I remembered that Otis was not allowed outside at all while the tents were
up since last time he did some serious damage. He walked up to the $400
North Face tent while the fly was off drying, and ripped holes in the
mosquito netting of the tent with outstretched claws. If you want to see my
husband go insane, stick him in a tent with a mosquito.

That sounds cruel, like cockfighting. I hate mosquitos too. Their
hum is the only low volume sound that can bring me out of a deep sleep
to full alert.

Old July 19th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

"Takayuki" wrote in message
If you want to see my
husband go insane, stick him in a tent with a mosquito.

That sounds cruel, like cockfighting. I hate mosquitos too. Their
hum is the only low volume sound that can bring me out of a deep sleep
to full alert.

LOL. Good analogy. We have a friend, a man, who explains that delight in
killing mosquitos is amplified because its the only thing that is socially
acceptable for men to kill anymore ;-)

Fred has eczema and sensitive skin though and the bites drive him crazy.
They wander around my skin for a while, halfheartedly try a bite, and then
fly off in disgust - so I don't really *get* how annoying they can be.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old July 19th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Susan M" wrote:
LOL. Good analogy. We have a friend, a man, who explains that delight in
killing mosquitos is amplified because its the only thing that is socially
acceptable for men to kill anymore ;-)

Fred has eczema and sensitive skin though and the bites drive him crazy.
They wander around my skin for a while, halfheartedly try a bite, and then
fly off in disgust - so I don't really *get* how annoying they can be.

Unfortunately, they love me! I mow the lawn wearing two layers of
long sleeves, long pants, and gloves. I also found that one of the
worst pasttimes for someone who attracts mosquitoes is rock climbing.
You go out to remote areas where there are lots of flying bugs, and
you can't splat them unless you're willing to risk splatting yourself
on the ground.

Old July 19th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:

I hate mosquitos too. Their hum is the only low volume sound that
can bring me out of a deep sleep to full alert.

A friend of mine was just telling me the other day about a radio
show where they were talking about the complicated mosquito mating
"song". Apparently, males go around humming a type of "melody", and
when a female hears it, she responds by humming in "harmony". They
then perform this song back and forth, and that's how they know
they're opposite sex and both ready to mate.

If a male goes up to another male and hums at him, the other male
will hum back. And they'll actually attempt to create the harmony
together, but since their "parts" (think musical parts in a duet) are
the same, the song doesn't work correctly, so they know they're not
compatible. So then he goes up to another mosquito and hums at that
one in the hope that one will hum back correctly.

So next time a mosquito hums in your ear, remember that it's just
trying to mate with you. And then kill it anyway.

Joyce

Otis and the Great Pyrennes Susan M Cat anecdotes 19 June 14th 05 03:55 PM
Otis' (Calgary) dental check Susan M Cat anecdotes 7 April 3rd 05 06:27 PM
Otis had Chester's hairball Susan M Cat anecdotes 14 March 15th 05 05:38 PM
Otis EMERGENCY Susan M Cat anecdotes 92 September 3rd 04 09:44 PM
Otis and Chester: Where are they now? (LONG) Susan M Cat anecdotes 14 November 8th 03 02:29 PM