Declawing

Old February 7th 10, 08:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default Declawing

"Kelly Green" wrote:

This is something I am also against after seeing the effects on
my step daughter's 3 cats. I thought my Siamese in the 1960s
was an anomaly. She was not. Doing a websearch, I'm glad to see
there are countries more civilized than than the USA and have
outlawed this cruel act of mutilation on helpless animals.

Claws are the essence of a cat. Declawing a cat is like removing
the fingers of a gymnast. Cats rely on their claws for practically
everything they do. If a person cannot handle a cats claws, they
should avoid having a cat.
Old February 7th 10, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Kelly Green" wrote:

This is something I am also against after seeing the effects on
my step daughter's 3 cats. I thought my Siamese in the 1960s
was an anomaly. She was not. Doing a websearch, I'm glad to see
there are countries more civilized than than the USA and have
outlawed this cruel act of mutilation on helpless animals.

Claws are the essence of a cat. Declawing a cat is like removing
the fingers of a gymnast. Cats rely on their claws for practically
everything they do. If a person cannot handle a cats claws, they
should avoid having a cat.

One of my cats likes to dig the food out of the bottom of his little orange
plastic cup with his claws, and then lick it off of them much as a child
would lick the food off of its fingers after scraping them on the bottom of
an ice cream bowl. The only problem is, he sometimes pushes the cup off of
the table onto the floor.....He hasn't learned how to hold it down with his
other hand yet......Sometimes we put him up in the grandkids high chair, and
put the little orange cups in the depressions molded into the high chair
tray.....That holds them steady while he eats........

Old April 8th 10, 07:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet
John Doe

"Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote
"Kelly Green" fakename fake.net wrote:

[...]

The question/subject is how much damage declawing does to a cat,
not how much (or little) you care about cats. However little you
value a cat, declawing destroys its world. Whether that means
anything to you is a different subject.

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Declawing
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:38:04 -0800

Old April 8th 10, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

John Doe wrote:
[...]

God knows I am adamantly opposed to declawing, but I think you overstate
the matter! My Cendrillon was declawed long before I met her, and
certainly I would never let her outside because she's been deprived of
her natural defenses. However, I haven't noticed that her behaviour
differs much from that of any "normal" cat. She "kneads" like any cat
with claws, engages in all the usual "sharpening" rituals on my
furniture, and boxes with Mélisande as though she still had her natural
armament. Of course she'd be at a disadvantage if she had to compete in
the wild, but I don't think SHE realizes she's any different from my
other cats.
Old April 9th 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet
Bill Graham

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Huh? - What precisely, in my post would lead you to believe that I don't,
"Value a cat"?
I have 5 cats and none of them are without their claws.

And, what is all that crap you have at the bottom of your posts? Is it
supposed to mean something?

Old April 9th 10, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Bill,
John Doe aka Mark Bender aka Hansen Filed is a internet stalker, sexual
predator, control freak and Troll. He gets thrills by trying to **** you
off. He gives people pet names that go with his multiple personalities
imagination.
The crap on the bottom of his post are his attempts to say I know who you
are. It means nothing anyone can get it by doing a properties lookup of
your post in their news reader. He comes to behavior ever so often when he
is off his meds and wants attention. He always cross post to some dead
newsgroup. He loves when he thinks he can change words around on you. It
is his mental masturbation. I love to mess with him but lately he has
become very delusional and irrational so I put him in the kill file (best
option). He is in fantasy love with Cyber cat who knocks the wind out of
his sails every time he starts his delusional rants.

If you want to know or even care to know about him. He admit it was him in
one of his recent post to me that someone did a private investigation
against him due to his craziness. Some one got very tired of him and ousted
him on the internet. He has been either killed filed or kicked out in every
group he has ever been in. He has a cat or cats supposedly and made them
this sky walk. It makes him think that he is the best cat person there is
out there and we all are beneath him. I feel sorry for his cats and you
know to be honest I do feel pity for Mark also.

http://www.google.com/search?q=john+...x=&startPage=1

Old July 19th 10, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet
John Doe

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" evgmsop earthlink.net wrote:

John Doe wrote:
"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote

Claws are the essence of a cat. Declawing a cat is like
removing the fingers of a gymnast. Cats rely on their claws
for practically everything they do. If a person cannot handle
a cats claws, they should avoid having a cat.

The question/subject is how much damage declawing does to a
cat, not how much (or little) you care about cats. However
little you value a cat, declawing destroys its world. Whether
that means anything to you is a different subject.

God knows I am adamantly opposed to declawing, but I think you
overstate the matter! My Cendrillon was declawed long before I
met her, and certainly I would never let her outside because
she's been deprived of her natural defenses.

That's good.

However, I haven't noticed that her behaviour differs much from
that of any "normal" cat.

It would here, since my cats always have exercise equipment to
climb on, up to near the ceiling and all around the place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210 N04/

She "kneads" like any cat with claws,

You are talking about casual appearances.

engages in all the usual "sharpening" rituals on my furniture,

You are talking about casual appearances, you are not describing
what the cat is actually doing.

and boxes with M‚lisande as though she still had her natural
armament.

Again, you are talking about casual appearances, nothing more.

Of course she'd be at a disadvantage if she had to compete in
the wild, but I don't think SHE realizes she's any different
from my other cats.

Cats use their claws for practically everything they do, not just
for self-defense. Cats use their claws for hunting, playing,
exercise, soft defense, and for getting from here to there.

So, how is your adopted declawed cat doing these days, in your
view?

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 12:25:10 -0700
From: "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" evgmsop earthlink.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav ,free.usenet

Old July 19th 10, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet
John Doe

Apparently Madden is morbidly obese, says he is scheduled for
"lapband" surgery on his birthday August 2, 2010. Probably sits
like a globule in front of the TV all day stuffing himself and
watching MSNBC shows for perverts who twiddle themselves while
watching prisoners, child molesters, rapists, ect.

From: "Matthew" iamacatslaveand proudtoserve.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 13:22:08 -0400

"Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net wrote in message
news:4MednQbVBZUfJSPWnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d giganews.com...

news:4bbd743f$0$24367$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com...

Old July 19th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet

John Doe wrote:

Cats use their claws for practically everything they do, not just
for self-defense. Cats use their claws for hunting, playing,
exercise, soft defense, and for getting from here to there.

Have you ever actually OBSERVED a declawed cat in action? Watching
Cendrillon, you'd not realize she has no front claws. She still has
TOES, after all - they only amputate the first joint in the declawing
process. People might not be very happy to lose the first joints of
their fingers, either, but as amputees, they'd adjust - their hands and
the remains of the fingers (including the opposable thumb) would still
be there. I don't believe in docking dogs' tails, either, but even
tail-less they manage to "wag". (Barbaric as both practices are, the
animal doesn't miss what it has never had, it simply gets on with its life.)

So, how is your adopted declawed cat doing these days, in your
view?

She seems perfectly happy - certainly has no problem climbing the cat
tree, nor claiming the tops of the refrigerator and my china cabinet as
her territory! You'd think she'd be at a disadvantage in wrestling
matches with Melisande, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Nor does
she have any difficulty chasing Melisande all over the apartment. When
the two have differences of opinion, wins and losses seem to be evenly
divided, claws or no claws.
Old July 20th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet
John Doe

John Doe wrote:

Cats use their claws for practically everything they do, not
just for self-defense. Cats use their claws for hunting,
playing, exercise, soft defense, and for getting from here to
there.

Have you ever actually OBSERVED a declawed cat in action?

I have not, and I never will except maybe by chance. But I have
this thing called COMMON SENSE that trumps your claim to have a
declawed cat and your superficial observations. I have managed
cats for many years, I have thoughtfully observed them, and I know
much about how they use their claws and what their claws are used
for.

Watching Cendrillon, you'd not realize she has no front claws.

As more than a superficial observer, the difference would be
obvious to me.

She still has TOES, after all -

The idea that a cat's toes are comparable to a cat's claws is just
silly.

they only amputate the first joint in the declawing process.
People might not be very happy to lose the first joints of their
fingers, either, but as amputees, they'd adjust - their hands
and the remains of the fingers (including the opposable thumb)
would still be there.

There is no comparison between a cat's claw and an individual
joint of a human finger.

Cats do not use their joints to hang on to anything, they use
their claws. Cats use their claws unlike anything we use our
individual joints for. Removing a cat's claw is is not at all like
removing just the first joint of a human finger, it is like
removing the entire finger. A gymnast cannot grab onto a crossbar
with the first joint of his finger, he has to use the whole
finger. A cat cannot grab onto a tree (or an enemy, or prey, or a
ball, or a climbing post) without claws.

A cat's claws are what it uses to grab onto things. Are you
seriously saying that you do not know that much? Apparently you
have no idea of how things that you see actually work.

I don't believe in docking dogs' tails, either, but even
tail-less they manage to "wag".

And what the **** does a dog's tail have to do with a cat's claws?

Uhg.

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:27:51 -0700
From: "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" evgmsop earthlink.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav ,free.usenet

Declawing is better for some cats. Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!! William Graham Cat health & behaviour 39 March 15th 07 11:57 PM
Declawing JR Cat health & behaviour 6 June 14th 06 09:26 PM
Declawing JR Cat health & behaviour 0 June 12th 06 06:22 PM
help - declawing Juls Cat health & behaviour 3 November 25th 05 05:44 PM
declawing Joe Cats - misc 342 August 22nd 03 02:23 PM