different strokes

Old August 9th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

Default different strokes

Ever notice how different cats react to different kinds of petting? I
started thinking about it a little while ago as I walked by the cat
tree and patted Princess on the head.

Princess is a cuddler who presses as much of her body against you as
she can. She doesn't just lean against you, she puts her feet a few
inches away to gain leverage and presses against you.

Little Bit is my over cuddler. Unlike Princess, though, Little Bit
lies as close as she can get without actually pressing against you.

Both Furby and Sammy are walkers. They both like their petting, but
can't stay still for very long. So, what normally happens is that they
walk both and forth, as the hoomin is supposed to pet them as they
walk. Sometimes, Sammy turns into a cuddler, and will lean against me
for petting, and reach up, catch my hand in her paws, and direct me to
where she wants to be scratched. Furby never gets to close during
petting, but does like to lean back against your hand to increase the
petting/scratching pressure. Something else Furby does is reach out as
I walk by. Sort of like Marina mentioned Frank used to do in a recent
post, when I walk by Furby reaches out and demands some scritches.

Spotty has her own style. she doesn't like for her head to be touched
- sometimes I wonder if it's because of the terrible ear mite
infection she had when first adopted. That doesn't mean she doesn't
like her pettings though, just that you can't reach down and pet her
head. The best Spotty petting occurs when I'm laying in bed and we're
on the same level. And Spotty does the best elevator butt LOL
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old August 10th 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Steve Touchstone wrote:
Ever notice how different cats react to different kinds of petting? I
started thinking about it a little while ago as I walked by the cat
tree and patted Princess on the head.

snip different strokes

When Caliban wants pettins, he's not shy about getting right into my
face and demand them. Miranda is more subtle, but she likes much harder
petting - what I call beatings. They have to occur in specific places;
my easy chair, on the cat tree, or on my dinner table.Miranda also
stands up on her hind legs to lean against my knee.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.