Philip is in hospital (long)

Old August 10th 09, 07:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

Default Philip is in hospital (long)

We had to take our Fella, Philip, into the emergency vet after I tried
to give him his usual belly rub and he moaned like a banshee. They've
had to admit him with a urinary blockage. Please send a few Fella
purrs along, and some Louie purrs as well. He's downstairs freaking.
Me, I'm relieved Philip is getting stabilized and we found the
problem. Worried, oh HELL yeah. Cash is the least of it. I know
there'll be special food, but that's the least of it too. How do you
keep a cat on a special diet when there are five others with no sense
of propriety? They steal from one another's dishes without a thought.
And Roxie is a little grazer. She prefers a mouthful or two here and
there throughout the day, and doesn't wolf her food down like Stosh
and China. I'm fantasizing about a food that's somewhere down the
middle: safe for cats with FUS or whatever they call it now, yet okay
for the others in the family. I do feel rather like an ass. Fritzie
had this but that was well over 20 years ago, close to 25 now. The vet
said this is usually a young guy's disease, and Philip just turned 7.
Maybe he's young at heart. Or this is the ultimate ******* cat trick.
How can I even joke! I'm close to freaking out, I just feel like I
have to be a brick for Louie's sake.

Philip is okay, sedated, more or less comfortable; we have to pick him
up in a few hours to run to his regular vet. I suspect that the
emergency vet will have done the bulk of the work by morning. They've
put in a catheter and flushed his poor blocked business out; some
bloodwork as well, the usual stuff. I think we actually got this
before it got *really* bad. Fritzie had a blockage once that almost
killed him. Yesterday Philip was fine, eating and playing and doing
his normal thing. Today? Lethargic, no appetite, and at one point had
gotten to panting. It's been a hot and muggy day and we'd taken him in
thinking he had heatstroke.

I hope to God we can get the regular vet to allow a paymetn
arrangement. We just had basement work done that ate most of the
savings, and then Louie paid off the car. He's freaking because, in
his mind, he was irresponsible; he's thinking that if he'd managed his
stuff better, we wouldn't have fallen into a tough time. My attitude
is, emergencies happen. Thank God for CareCredit because it took care
of most of the emergency vet's bill. I am certain that the majority of
the work will have been done by the time we take him to the regular
doctor. Still I cannot convince my husband that he isn't a loser and a
failure because he had to do this thing and that. The cat is alive and
stable. I am thankful. Tired but thankful. Please, some Philip and
Louie purrs--and a few negotiate-with-vet purrs too, for Mama who has
to do the talking because Louie's freaking out. But bigger ones for
them. I want both my men to be well and happy.

Sabrina is actually searching for Philip, and I'm touched. I didn't
know the old babcia liked him.

Boy do I need sleep. I hope I won't catch hell from the hospital if I
call in.

Blessed be,
Baha
Old August 10th 09, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

BfloPolska wrote:

We had to take our Fella, Philip, into the emergency vet after I tried
to give him his usual belly rub and he moaned like a banshee. They've
had to admit him with a urinary blockage. Please send a few Fella
purrs along, and some Louie purrs as well. He's downstairs freaking.

[snip]

I know what you're going through! I have a cat with chronic urinary
cystitis. I'm lucky in that he hasn't had a blockage, but he gets
blood in his urine and has had to go on medication for it a couple of
times. First time, I gave him special food, and then everyone went
back to Wellness brand. When it happened to him a second time, I
decided no more dry food for Licky. (I did try a C/D dry food, but
it made Roxy sick.) So now, nobody gets to graze on dry.

It was an adjustment, but now they're used to it. Although I do
believe that this dietary change is part of what has driven Smudge
away. She likes dry food, and I know she's getting it from the
neighbors. If yours are all indoor-only, then you won't have to
worry about that.

I feed all my cats in different rooms with doors closed. It's the
only way. Your Roxie might have to get used to eating her food twice
a day with nothing in between.

By the way, I asked about whether other cats could eat the c/d food,
and my vet said it was fine. So one option you have is just to switch
everyone to the c/d. And you might try the c/d dry (once Fella is
stabilized) - maybe it won't bother your other cats. (I think the
reason Roxy got sick on it was because she *loved* it and gorged on
it. The resulting puke and diarrhea was the same color as the food.)

Purrs for you, Louis and Fella. And sheesh, stuff happens in life!
There's no way Louis could have prevented that. I hope he realizes
this soon and stops blaming himself!

Joyce

--
I promise I will meditate more closely upon the causal relationship
between going dumpster diving on Sunday afternoon and projectile
Old August 10th 09, 09:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 23:37:34 -0700 (PDT), BfloPolska
wrote:

We had to take our Fella, Philip, into the emergency vet after I tried
to give him his usual belly rub and he moaned like a banshee. They've
had to admit him with a urinary blockage. Please send a few Fella
purrs along, and some Louie purrs as well.

snipPurrs on the way, for everyone

--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old August 10th 09, 09:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs for both of them, with a few thrown in for you, too.

--
Joy

Constant change is here to stay.

Old August 10th 09, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

BfloPolska wrote:
[...]

Hi Baha,

I just lost my Sullivan to a blockage - he showed no symptons, other
than being quiet, but that wasn't unusual - until I found him laying by
the water bowl one morning. He died of kidney failure, due to the urine
backing up into his kidneys and destroying it.

I have had other cats with blockages, and a diet change was recommended,
but when Marble had it 2 years ago, the vet gave him some Cosequin. She
said that it helps the lining of the bladder, and helps prevent
cystitis. She also recommended giving him buffered vitamin C, as it
helps get rid of the stones in there and it prevents new ones from
forming. No change in diet, and he is doing fine.

Good luck with your boy!
Mishi
Old August 10th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

BfloPolska wrote:
Please, some Philip and
Louie purrs--and a few negotiate-with-vet purrs too, for Mama who has
to do the talking because Louie's freaking out. But bigger ones for
them. I want both my men to be well and happy.

Lots of purrs on the way for you all.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old August 10th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Purrs all round.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 10th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dberrycat

On Aug 10, 2:37*am, BfloPolska wrote:
We had to take our Fella, Philip, into the emergency vet after I tried
to give him his usual belly rub and he moaned like a banshee. They've
had to admit him with a urinary blockage. Please send a few Fella
purrs along, and some Louie purrs as well.

snip.....

Blessed be,
Baha

Purrs on the way for Philip's rapid return to good health and also
calmness
purrs for you and Louie.

Debbie
Old August 10th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Mishi wrote:
BfloPolska wrote:
[...]

Please describe the Vit C, where you get it and how it was administered.
Also the Co sequin. Best wishes. MLB
Old August 10th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

[...]

We are purring for Philip, poor little Fella. I am convinced Dante's purrs
have special properties-- they are so snorty and ridiculous, and there are
so much of them.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh