D-pet very sick - purrs needed!

Old August 18th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default D-pet very sick - purrs needed!

A friend of mine has a wonderful dog who I have been very attached to
for the past 10 years. Over the weekend he started showing signs of a
serious illness - no appetite, listlessness, seeming to be in pain when
he walked, etc. She ended up taking him to the emergency vet on Saturday
nigh., They did bloodwork on him, and it seems like his liver is in
failure. But they don't have all the tests back, so they're not sure
exactly what's causing it. He's been a mostly healthy dog, so this is
pretty out-of-left-field.

After a few days of antibiotics, he has not improved much at all, except
when he gets fluids for dehydration - then he rallies just a little bit.
But within a few hours, he's back to being almost totally listless. He
has a high fever, so it could be an infection. He'll be kept overnight
tonight in the animal hospital, on IV fluids and medications.

I'm really worried about him - he's the greatest dog. We've gone for
countless walks together over the years and he's pretty attached to me,
too. Needless to say, my poor friend is a wreck.

If anyone can spare a purr or tail wag for him to pull through this,
we'd all appreciate it.

Thanks,
Joyce

--
Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this
anger!" This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will
Old August 18th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

Purrs on the way for your d-pal.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old August 18th 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Is he a large dog? Mysonalwayshasverylargedogsand theydohaveshorter
lifespans.Weshall sendheakingpurrsforyourdoggiefriend andprayyou
canhavesomemorewalkstogether.MLB

Sorry,my spacebar doesn'talways functionproperly.
Old August 18th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"MLB" wrote in message
[...]

Turn your keyboard over and thwack it a few times. With any luck it
will either fix it or break it for good.

Purrs and tail wags for the sick doggie. They don't live long
enough. Especially the larger ones. Kidney problems, not so bad.
Liver problems not so good.

Hope it is something they can straighten out and allow some more
walks to the park.

Jo

Old August 18th 09, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

wrote in message
[...]

Wags from the dog contingency and purrs from the cat side. Prayers from me.
Karla

Old August 18th 09, 06:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On 18 Aug 2009 02:26:32 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Sending purrs for the poor sick dog to get well quickly.

Life without cats would be only marginally worth living."

- Robert Heinlein

Old August 18th 09, 07:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs are on the way.

--
Joy

Constant change is here to stay.

Old August 18th 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 18th 09, 10:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MLB wrote:

Is he a large dog? Mysonalwayshasverylargedogsand theydohaveshorter
lifespans.Weshall sendheakingpurrsforyourdoggiefriend andprayyou
canhavesomemorewalkstogether.MLB

Actually, he's a smallish dog - a corgi mix (cardigan, for those who
know breeds). Not sure what he's mixed with, though - maybe german
shepherd. He weighs about 40 pounds (when healthy - I think his current
weight is a lot less).

He has a condition called diskoid lupus - it is not systemic, but causes
skin problems, mostly around his face. But it could have something to do
with why he's so sick now. One theory the vet has is that he's having
some kind of auto-immune reaction. But to what, is anyone's guess.

Echo is only 11, so even for a large dog that wouldn't be a very long
lifespan, would it?

His person and I and another friend went to the animal hospital tonight
to visit him. There was an unused exam room that seemed to be under
construction, so they brought him in there and let us visit him for as
long as we liked. He just seemed to be really glad to be able to cuddle
against his human-mom and just rest. We hung out there for a couple of
hours, just slowly petting him and talking to him. I hope that did him
some good.

Joyce

--
"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene

Purrs needed here too! Pat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 11 March 9th 09 09:21 PM
Purrs needed Rusty Cat community 19 May 11th 08 06:47 AM
Purrs needed Winnie Cat anecdotes 14 November 19th 06 12:37 PM
Purrs of condolence and also job purrs needed Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 15 April 7th 06 05:44 PM
Job Purrs needed ann Cat anecdotes 17 November 3rd 03 06:03 PM