New kitten spay questions

Old December 16th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nitesbane

Default New kitten spay questions

Just adopted a cat that was left outdoors when her family deliberately moved
away without her. My best guess puts her at about 8-10 months old. I was
previously told she was "up-to-date with her shots", and she was in good
health when I picked her up off the street, so I did not immediately take
her to the vet, but decided to order a low-cost spay certificate first so we
could get everything done at once. She decided that while we're waiting for
the certificate in the mail now would be the perfect time for her first
heat, and I must re-schedule my appointment with the vet which leads to my
question...

How long should I wait after her heat is over to get her spayed? 4
different vets say 2 months, 4-6 weeks, 1 week, and right after it's over.
The vet that says 2 months also charges an extra $59 fee if the cat has
already had a heat or been pregnant. It's been 14 years since I went
through this last, but I thought cats went into heat every few weeks. Back
then my vet advised me to let my cat go through her first heat and take her
in right after. There was no extra fee.

Thanks for any input.

-N

Old December 16th 10, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

First, thank you for taking in this kitty. :-) The reason some vets
charge extra is that, while the cat is in heat, the organ tissue
swells and there may be extra surgery time needed to remove
everything. IMO it's nearly impossible to wait any length of time--
some cats can be in heat nearly continuously until they find a mate.

I would get her spayed ASAP, even if there is an extra charge. It will
be better for her overall (and less annoying for you).

Rene
Old December 17th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Nitesbane" wrote

Just adopted a cat that was left outdoors when her family deliberately
moved away without her.

Sad to hear that. Glad to see you took her in.

My best guess puts her at about 8-10 months old. I was previously told
she was "up-to-date with her shots",

Personally, without records, i wouldn't trust the words of someone who just
abandoned the cat to the fates.

As to when to spay, been a long time for me too but just after first heat is
normally advised nowadays. That means she's pretty much 'grown up' enough
and won't have the medical problems of an early spay. 2 weeks after it
seems to have subsided is probably best timing but if it just doesn't
subside, you'll have to have it done as she's in it still. *Some* girl
kitties just sorta stay in it until they finally get what they are looking
for ;-)

Old December 19th 10, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
SJ

"Nitesbane" wrote in message
How long should I wait after her heat is over to get her spayed? 4
different vets say 2 months, 4-6 weeks, 1 week, and right after it's over.
The vet that says 2 months also charges an extra $59 fee if the cat has
already had a heat or been pregnant.

How frustrating to have 4 Vets with all different opinions. How nutty is
that?!
Personally, I'd stay away from the Vet charging the extra fee. That Vet is
probably a fine Vet, but when they start charging extra fees right at the
beginning, you can be sure that the Vet will generally charge higher fees
for lots of other things. And once you get used to a Vet and like them,
it's very hard to change to another Vet. And then, years later, as your cat
ages, if your kitty is ever really really sick, you'll be unable to provide
medical care for the kitty because of the Vet's higher fees. And your cat
will suffer.

My Vet spayed my female cat right after her first heat was over. She came
through it just fine.

Good luck and thank you for taking in an abandoned pet, and giving her a
good home.

Old January 23rd 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Nitesbane" wrote in message
[...]

Here in TN the cats are spayed at 3 to 4 months of age - BEFORE the first
heat cycle.