Diet change

Old February 2nd 11, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gz

Default Diet change

On Jan 24, 10:37*pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:
Jean B. wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:
Jean B. wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote:
After Thanksgiving I noticed that both Amber and Tiger seemed less
interested in their Wellness chicken (canned) food. Suddenly, on
Christmas morning they ate with gusto. It was a new batch. The cans
with the code "MW10" on the bottom were the good ones. The cans
with the "7WCCS4" code they didn't like. This was NOT a subtle
difference. Their meal with the good cans was finished in an hour.
With the "bad" cans almost half had to be thrown away after two or
three hours. Unfortunately the store didn't have any more of the
"good" cans. I called Wellness and they claimed there should be no
difference. The MW cans came from a California plant while the 7WCC
cans came from a New Jersey plant. I have been a Wellness customer
for about 7 years and use over 730 cans a year. Their customer
service people did not seem concerned when I told them I would try
Innova and other brands if they could not provide me with the MW
cans. Wellness says there is no difference but the cats say
otherwise. ---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
* (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

The cats always know! *I also see a difference in texture between
lots, which frequently correlates with whether or not they like it.

Have you tried Wellness Core? *That generally goes over well here.

Our FDA can't even police our own food, much less cat food. If you
put your cat's lives in their hands, you aren't giving them enough
protection, IMO.

Sigh. *Good point. However, I don't know enough about cat
nutrition and providing the correct vitamin and mineral balance to
make that a better choice. *How do you provide the right amount of
taurine? *How do you not encourage crystals? *Cooking treats would
be quite different from cooking what one's cats subsist on, IMO.

Cats in the wild eat a great variety of foods....Pretty well anything that
crawls, flies, or moves by itself. I try to do the same with my cats. I feed
them a great variety of foods, including table scraps, and sometimes, I feed
them nothing at all for a day or two, because in the wild they sometimes get
to eat nothing for a day or two too. (In the zoo, they don't feed the lions
on Mondays) *I would be very hesitant to just feed my cats one brand of cat
food. If the owners of the cat food company are having a bad day, all your
cats could die....:^)

I put my cats out when the weather is good, one cat likes to go out
regardless,
and lets me know when he wants back in. All cats are TIED.
I do not let cats roam. Some cats are tough to tie up, but I find
most adapt very quickly, and often prefer being tied, as security.
Always use a bungee connection !!!!
Of, in the winter I always plant grass indoors, and they go for it
everyday.

I just planted some catnip seeds.

greg
Old February 3rd 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Jean B. wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:
Jean B. wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

I would worry about neighborhood dogs, were I to try to tie up my cats. They
are very good at jumping up on the roof to avoid them now. But it really
depends on where you live. I live in an ideal locatiuon for "outside" cats.
Many people do not, so I try to avoid discussions as to which situation is
better. I have lived in the past in places where I wouldn't allow my cats
outside. But when I picked this place, part of the reason I did so was
because it was obviously friendly to cats......