Do Cats Feel Love?

Old January 9th 11, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Curse Of Millhaven

Default Do Cats Feel Love?

I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?
Old January 10th 11, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wayne Mitchell

Curse Of Millhaven wrote:

I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

Certainly cats can feel love of some kinds and in some degrees. The
term "love" is used in the vernacular to denote many different
conditions, feelings, affects, etc. -- some of them mutually exclusive
or contradictory.

What specific kinds of "love" are you asking about? Mother love?
Romantic love? Sexual desire? /Agape/? You'd have to chose one and
carefully define it before you could discuss whether anyone -- feline,
hominin or other -- is capable of experiencing it.
--

Wayne M.
Old January 10th 11, 09:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Wayne Mitchell wrote:
Curse Of Millhaven wrote:

I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

Certainly cats can feel love of some kinds and in some degrees. The
term "love" is used in the vernacular to denote many different
conditions, feelings, affects, etc. -- some of them mutually exclusive
or contradictory.

What specific kinds of "love" are you asking about? Mother love?
Romantic love? Sexual desire? /Agape/? You'd have to chose one and
carefully define it before you could discuss whether anyone -- feline,
hominin or other -- is capable of experiencing it.

My cats love my wife. When she goes to California for a week to visit her
children, they mope around the house looking for her, and refuse to play or
enjoy much of anything. They crowd around me in the evening, hoping I will
bring her back, as if I was the one who sent her away. And when she comes
home, their whole attitude changes, and they are "normal" again.... They
ignore me as usual....

Old January 10th 11, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Curse Of Millhaven wrote:
I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

A cat will purr and rub against you when you feed it. So I assume it
either loves you or the food. Does it matter as long as the cat is
healthy and happy? Best wishes. MLB
Old January 11th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Curse Of Millhaven

On Jan 10, 9:27*am, MLB wrote:
Curse Of Millhaven wrote:
I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

A cat will purr and rub against you when you feed it. *So I assume it
either loves you or the food. *Does it matter as long as the cat is
healthy and happy? *Best wishes. * MLB

Actually I am not the one responsible for feeding this cat.
Old January 11th 11, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Ross Mc Master

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:49:06 -0800 (PST), Curse Of Millhaven
wrote:

I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

Cats ARE love asshole!
Old January 14th 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Curse Of Millhaven" wrote in message
I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

If they did fee love as we know and express it, wouldn't the mother cat love
her kittens and not leave them on their own at 2 to 3 months of age? But
stay with them as elephants and chimps and some other animals do?

Old January 15th 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Kelly Greene wrote:
"Curse Of Millhaven" wrote in message
I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

If they did fee love as we know and express it, wouldn't the mother
cat love her kittens and not leave them on their own at 2 to 3 months
of age? But stay with them as elephants and chimps and some other
animals do?

Perhaps, but don't forget that cats have been around for millions of years
before Human Beings appeared on the scene. During that time, they cared for
their kittens only as long as was necessary for them to be able to survive
on their own, so the mothers could reproduce again and help to further the
survival of the species.

Old January 23rd 11, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
Kelly Greene wrote:
"Curse Of Millhaven" wrote in message
I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

If they did fee love as we know and express it, wouldn't the mother
cat love her kittens and not leave them on their own at 2 to 3 months
of age? But stay with them as elephants and chimps and some other
animals do?

Perhaps, but don't forget that cats have been around for millions of years
before Human Beings appeared on the scene. During that time, they cared
for their kittens only as long as was necessary for them to be able to
survive on their own, so the mothers could reproduce again and help to
further the survival of the species.

Humans and Elephants and other animals can do the same thing, but don't. I
think they feel something but not the kind of love humans have for each
other.

Old February 5th 11, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Kelly Greene wrote:
"Curse Of Millhaven" wrote in message
I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any
proof?

If they did fee love as we know and express it, wouldn't the mother
cat love her kittens and not leave them on their own at 2 to 3
months of age? But stay with them as elephants and chimps and some
other animals do?

Perhaps, but don't forget that cats have been around for millions
of years before Human Beings appeared on the scene. During that
time, they cared for their kittens only as long as was necessary
for them to be able to survive on their own, so the mothers could
reproduce again and help to further the survival of the species.

Humans and Elephants and other animals can do the same thing, but
don't. I think they feel something but not the kind of love humans
have for each other.

I don't know any more than you do about it but since humans,
elephants, and
simians are *not* predators like felines are, I would guess young
felines need to
be taught how to "predate" (is there such a word?) IOW hunt,
kill,eat.
Eat, pray,love is for us softieswho don't have fangsto predate living
prey with.

Yeah....Except we kill untold millions of chickens, cows, pigs and lambs
every year in huge factorys that most of us never see. The few birds and
mice that our cats get once in a while pale in comparison to that.....