Unfriendly Kitty :(

Old June 18th 04, 07:56 PM
soft

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:00:43 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article , Fleemo at
wrote on 6/17/04 3:07 PM:

Our new kitty is about 12 weeks old now. We've had him about a month.
When we first got him, he was sweet and loveable and would come and
sit in my lap. That lasted about a week. Now he's completely
stand-offish, and runs and hides whenever I approach. If I ever do
get to pick him up, he squirms away, not wanting to be held.

His aloofness seems to have coincided with when he got to be chums
with our 4 year old cat, who's pretty aloof himself. They've bonded
(the kitten even tries to nurse from him!) and wrestle a lot. I'm
wondering if the kitty has picked up his antisocial behavior from our
older cat.

So what should I expect? Might the kitty grow out of this "phase" or
is this a clear indiciation of what his personality is gonna be? His
disregard for human companionship and the fact that he does not cover
his poop or pee does not leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling about
our new pet. :\

-Fleemo

My newest kitty is going thru this - well he doesn't run when I get
near, but when he doesn't want held he is way too squiggly. I find if
I put him down and get a toy like the cat teaser out he is very happy
to wear out all that energy and then he is ready for some petting and
a nap.

I think they need to run off all that kitty energy - sometimes they
just aren't in the mood (where have I heard that saying?) I agree with
give the kitty space - you both will enjoy each othre more if you
don't push and as the kitty mature.

Karryl
Old June 19th 04, 12:39 AM
Goat Roper

I think you're right- your cats *are* arrogant so-and-sos. :-)

Now if can figure out why I am so fond of them ;-)

allen

Old June 19th 04, 12:39 AM
Goat Roper

Old June 19th 04, 12:39 AM
Goat Roper

Old June 19th 04, 03:48 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", "Goat Roper"
artfully composed this message within
on 18
Jun 2004:

When my wife is out of the house, they are somewhat more amiable
towards me, but never as if I was her equal, and as soon as her
car pulls into the driveway they begin acting like I had a had
an axe hidden in my shirt.

My wife says that they have assumed a "pride" social structure,
and since I am a male I am not their equal, but at least I do
exist in their world.

Apparently, you'll do in a pinch.

We have no children in our home, and if one comes to visit they
head for under the bed. Likewise, they treat most adults this
way, but some they accept immediatly and grace the visitor with
affection.

They detect your jealousy

I think they are just arrogant butheads that enjoy teasing me!

Of course they do. They are feline.

BTW, they do not cover up the liter deposits either, but since
my wife taught them to use the liter box, I believe she failed
to go the extra mile and teach them to cover it up.

Seriously, cats do attach themselves to a single slave most of
time. They know who they can boss around. If there is doubt, they
will hide. It is natural. You could go the extra mile and teach by
moving paws how to cover up, but being feline, they may or may not
decide to emulate you.

--
Cheryl

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
Yu noze, I furgotz tu tellz yurownselfz abowt da TROODUR KITTY... Amelia T Cat Cat community 6 February 28th 04 11:13 AM