Is 500 mg of Amoxicillin dangerous for a cat ?

Old September 11th 03, 12:16 PM

Default Is 500 mg of Amoxicillin dangerous for a cat ?

My friend's cat has upper respiratory problems and
my friend just told me yesterday that she had been
giving him close to 500 mg of Amoxicillin each day
during the past couple of days.

This medication had been given to her last week when
she was sick with a flu but then she got better and
didn't have to take it. So each day she just opened
up a capsule to remove its powder content and mixed
the powder with her cat's food.

I had to go to buy some Purina DM from a veterinary
hospital last night. So I asked a vet technician about
this medication and he told me that a medium-size cat
only needs about 60 mg per day.

I've already told my friend to reduce the dosage but
I'm just wondering if the doses that she has already
given him during the past couple of days can end up
causing problems in the long run.

Also if anybody knows what kind of problems or side
effects this medication can cause please let me know.

Thanks,

Old September 11th 03, 08:56 PM
Mary

My friend's cat has upper respiratory problems and
my friend just told me yesterday that she had been
giving him close to 500 mg of Amoxicillin each day
during the past couple of days.

The proper dosage is 5-10 mg/lb for cats daily. If the cat weight 8 lbs, you'd
give 40-60mg/day. Your friend will kill all the cats good stoumach bacteria.
She may get bad diarrhea. Go to Petco and get their probiotics called Bene-bac.
It will replace the killed gut flora. There are dosage charts online for cats
if one "must" use human medications.
http://www.das-mall.com/petsonthenet...household.html