Young FIV cat has breast cancer

Old November 13th 03, 06:03 AM
Patricia

Default Young FIV cat has breast cancer

I need advise about what is the best to do with my FIV cat who has
been diagnosed with breast cancer last week.

She ist about 4 1/2 or 5yo.
She was found in Queens/NY 2 1/2 years ago, one week before giving
birth. I was fostering her and her two kittens and it turned out she
is FIV+.

I discoverd a lump, probably 2 cm diameter, so very large. We removed
it last week. I was hopping for the best, but I got the bad news
saturday.

Since she is FIV+, I'm not sure I want to go with chemo. She is still
very feral, so giving her medication is far from being easy.

The vet seems to be incline for the chemotherapy. He is a very good
vet and I trust his jugement in general, but this time I'm not sure
what to do...

Any advise anyone? I would really appreciate. Thanks.

Patricia
Old November 13th 03, 02:44 PM
Phil P.

"Patricia" wrote in message
om...
I need advise about what is the best to do with my FIV cat who has
been diagnosed with breast cancer last week.

She ist about 4 1/2 or 5yo.
She was found in Queens/NY 2 1/2 years ago, one week before giving
birth. I was fostering her and her two kittens and it turned out she
is FIV+.

I discoverd a lump, probably 2 cm diameter, so very large. We removed
it last week. I was hopping for the best, but I got the bad news
saturday.

Since she is FIV+, I'm not sure I want to go with chemo. She is still
very feral, so giving her medication is far from being easy.

The vet seems to be incline for the chemotherapy. He is a very good
vet and I trust his jugement in general, but this time I'm not sure
what to do...

Any advise anyone? I would really appreciate. Thanks.

FIV+ cats can live nearly normal lifespan. Survival time for cats that had
mammary tumors removed depends mostly on the tumor size. Cats with tumors
less than a 2 cm diameter generally have a median survival time of over 3
years (we have a few still living fine well into their fourth year post
surgery). Cats with 2 to 3 cm tumors have a survival time of about 2 years.
Larger tumors significantly reduce survival time.

If your vet performed a radical mastectomy (removal of all four glands of
the chain with the affect gland) and lymph (inguinal) node (and axillary
[armpit] lymph node if was enlarged and positive) the chances of recurrence
are significantly reduced.

If I were you, I'd go ahead with chemo - Your vet also seems to feel she has
good chance. Also remember, she's a NYC cat... so you *know* she's tough!

Best of luck.

Phil

Old November 13th 03, 04:04 PM
Jeremy Lowe

You may also want to start her on a regular treatment with Omega 3 fatty
acids through fish oil after your vet treatment since there is promising
studies that point to it's helping with cancer. Be sure you check with your
vet before starting any supplements.

Try reading the link at http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/dvmahn.html on
essential fatty acids. It can't hurt to give her every edge.

--
J Lowe
www.healthypetnet.com/jeremy

Have you hugged your pet today?
"Phil P." wrote in message

om...

Old November 13th 03, 06:48 PM
Chris

Patricia, check out the www.petmedicinechest.com, it is all natural, and I
have a cat that is getting along great on their products.

Tanya

om...