New Adoptee--baggy skin in cats

Old December 1st 03, 09:39 PM
Mary

Default New Adoptee--baggy skin in cats

Bless my sweet neighbor who just brought home an adult cat from the
pound that was up for euthanization!

I just came back from seeing her. She is a large-boned Siamese mix,
cream and dark brown, with the usual markings of a chocolate point or
seal point but also a kind of brown mottling on her legs and face that
looks like Cookies and Cream ice cream. She has a high forehead (doll
face) and crossed blue eyes. She has been given her shots and
neutered, and the former owners were nice enough to declaw her before
they abandoned her to be killed. [Grrrrr .....]

When my neighbor said they said the cat was about 2, I did a
doubletake because although her fur is very thick and soft, she has
that "frumpy" appearance old cats get. And, when she stands up her
hipbones stick out and her skin hangs on her stomach, not like a "baby
belly," either. I looked at her teeth and sure enough, they look like
the teeth of a cat under five. She has them all, and there is no
plaque.

Is she just undernourished, do you think? My friend has a vet visit
scheduled, but I wanted to see what you all think. She is a very, very
gentle and sweet kitty, playful and affectionate. I brought her a toy
and she began batting at it inside of her first hour in her new home.

Old December 1st 03, 10:33 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Mary"

[...]

I am so glad to hear your neighbor adopted this kitty. Poor baby I wish I
could offer you some insight into her condition. Please let us know what the
vet says.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old December 1st 03, 10:33 PM
PawsForThought

Old December 1st 03, 10:58 PM
Mary

"PawsForThought" wrote in message

I am so glad to hear your neighbor adopted this kitty. Poor baby

I wish I
could offer you some insight into her condition. Please let us know

what the
vet says.

Will do. I think she is healthy enough, just undernourished, and I
think she might be a Ragdoll, which is why she struck me as odd--she
is so large and lanky, with all that thick fur, and just kind of
drapes over you. The best thing: my neighbor has three little
daughters age 1.5-maybe 7, and they will now learn how to provide a
loving home for an animal that was thrown away like so much garbage.

Lauren
________

Old December 1st 03, 11:47 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:39:51 GMT, "Mary" wrote:

[...]

When my Siamese (RB) first adopted me she had sagging skin on her
lower abdomen. I figured this was stretched skin from pregnancy (she
had been neutered) or from loss of weight. In a couple of years it
had disappeared. She had apparently been living wild for several
months as she still had her previous winter coat. After weeks of
grooming she developed a beautiful coat. I suspect your cat's weight
loss is the cause too. Good luck with her. I adore Siamese kitties.
MLB

Old December 2nd 03, 12:07 AM
Sherry

Bless my sweet neighbor who just brought home an adult cat from the
pound that was up for euthanization!

I just came back from seeing her. She is a large-boned Siamese mix,
cream and dark brown, with the usual markings of a chocolate point or
seal point but also a kind of brown mottling on her legs and face that
looks like Cookies and Cream ice cream. She has a high forehead (doll
face) and crossed blue eyes. She has been given her shots and
neutered, and the former owners were nice enough to declaw her before
they abandoned her to be killed. [Grrrrr .....]

Yup. That sort of blows the "Declaw To Guarantee A Forever Home" theory.
her coat. I'd guess she's just malnourished. I had a skinny black stray
with a short, scroungy coat and after 6 months, the cat turned out to be a
longhair. I had no idea. She didn't even look like the same cat.

Sherry

Old December 2nd 03, 12:39 AM
Karen M.

There was a loon (and I do mean *LOON*) that used to post on alt.cats
who had a Ragdoll and from what I remember, your neighbor's new kitty
fits the description. I know there are others on this group who know
*exactly* who I'm talking about - "The Psycho Whose Name We Must Not
Speak Out Loud".... beg