Unfriendly Kitty :(

Old June 18th 04, 06:40 PM
Goat Roper

Maybe, but get some cat treats and be patient. Loyalties shift!

I've tried bribing them with cat treats but usually (not always) they wait
until my wife blesses the treat or till at least after i've left the room
before they will eat the treat. My wife will give them treats almost
religeosly when she leaves the house and they begin the begging routine as
soon as they hear the alarm system being set. If the wife isn't home and
it's just me leaving they pretty much ignore me. I usually go ahead and
give them a treat anyway, which they ignore until I am out the door. When I
get back they have eaten the treat, but I get nothing but "the look" if I
come home without the wife.

If I really want to get "the look" or get them crying i can give the wife a
hug.

They will play fetch with me, so I guess I should feel blessed.

allen

Old June 18th 04, 07:33 PM
Fleemo

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will pick up a fishin' pole and
try the love-from-afar approach, see if that gets me in with his good
graces. I just thought that these kitten months were going to be
precious love fests, and am a bit disappointed, as well as concerned
that I'll have an indifferent house guest for the next umpteen years.

Allen, thanks for the chuckles. My older cat is much like yours. If I
go lay next to him on the floor, he insultingly gets up and moves away
a few feet. The kitten was so sweet to begin with, I wonder if he
learned his anti-human social behavior from the older cat? Freakin'
furball. :P

So they don't cover their business in the litterbox either, eh? How
do you stand that? It's driving me nuts!

-Fleemo

Old June 18th 04, 07:52 PM
kaeli

In article , fleemo17
@comcast.net enlightened us with...

So they don't cover their business in the litterbox either, eh? How
do you stand that? It's driving me nuts!

-Fleemo

A covered litterbox.

~kaeli~
Never mess up an apology with an excuse.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old June 18th 04, 07:56 PM
soft

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:00:43 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article , Fleemo at
wrote on 6/17/04 3:07 PM:

Our new kitty is about 12 weeks old now. We've had him about a month.
When we first got him, he was sweet and loveable and would come and
sit in my lap. That lasted about a week. Now he's completely
stand-offish, and runs and hides whenever I approach. If I ever do
get to pick him up, he squirms away, not wanting to be held.

His aloofness seems to have coincided with when he got to be chums
with our 4 year old cat, who's pretty aloof himself. They've bonded
(the kitten even tries to nurse from him!) and wrestle a lot. I'm
wondering if the kitty has picked up his antisocial behavior from our
older cat.

So what should I expect? Might the kitty grow out of this "phase" or
is this a clear indiciation of what his personality is gonna be? His
disregard for human companionship and the fact that he does not cover
his poop or pee does not leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling about
our new pet. :\

-Fleemo

My newest kitty is going thru this - well he doesn't run when I get
near, but when he doesn't want held he is way too squiggly. I find if
I put him down and get a toy like the cat teaser out he is very happy
to wear out all that energy and then he is ready for some petting and
a nap.

I think they need to run off all that kitty energy - sometimes they
just aren't in the mood (where have I heard that saying?) I agree with
give the kitty space - you both will enjoy each othre more if you
don't push and as the kitty mature.

Karryl
Old June 18th 04, 07:56 PM
soft

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:00:43 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article , Fleemo at

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
Yu noze, I furgotz tu tellz yurownselfz abowt da TROODUR KITTY... Amelia T Cat Cat community 6 February 28th 04 11:13 AM