Vent/Rant - Persians

Old May 11th 05, 11:15 PM
Philip

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2005-05-11, MaryL penned:

Not hard, but definitely time-consuming. My first cat was feral but
definitely a Persian mix (but this was years ago before some
breeders ruined the beautiful Persian face to develop that
squashed-in look -- and created breathing problems along with it).
He had to be *very* carefully combed and brushed over every inch of
his body. Otherwise, he would quickly begin to develop mats that
would compact very tightly to his body. Since he was feral, you can
imagine the sad shape he was in when I adopted him.

This was a procedure that I actually enjoyed, and eventually so did
he. However, it certainly was not a routine where a person could
count on setting aside just a few minutes a day and assume that the
"brushing" would be finished.

I'm thinking, man, if Oscar had to be thoroughly brushed every day,
she ... wouldn't be. She barely allows me to brush her back every now
and then; trying to touch her belly would never be tolerated. If I'd
realized it's considered normal to handle paws and belly and whatnot
when they're kittens, maybe things would be different, but I was new
to cats and just figured, hey, if she doesn't like it, I won't do it.

So I guess this just re-emphasizes that you really have to know what
you're doing with these cats; if you don't socialize them from a young
age, or get lucky with being able to socialize a feral, they're going
to be miserable their whole lives.

I'd be the first person on the block to have a Persian with a body Crew Cut.
LOL Little butchwax down the backside ... Hahhahhaha.

Old May 11th 05, 11:28 PM
blueberries79

"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...
On 2005-05-11,
penned:

Kelly wrote: Anyone who neglects, abuses, tortures another living
creature should
have the same thing done to them. It's sick, and I don't
understand
how
people can do things like that. -- -Kelly

You go, girl. It's never too late for a career change....I want you
to consider going to law school and becoming this county's next DA
:-)

Seriously, it's hard to prosecute any kind of animal abuse case

when
the district attorney isn't sympathetic toward animal issues.

They're still calling me "Little Bo Peep" at the sheriff's office
over a sheep neglect case from five years ago.

I'd imagine it would be hard to be a lawyer trying these kinds of
cases ... like the animal cops, the lawyers can't yell at the people
or hit them. They have to be polite, and they have to give them

their
legal rights ... and they have to let them go if that's what the

judge
decides.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

It largely depends on the DA's attitude about animals, and his
personal definition of "abuse", whether he decides to prosecute,
IMO. The laws are vague. Our DA refused to prosecute a man who shot a
neighbor's clean through with an arrow, because the cat was on the
man's property, and she had been warned. The cat was still writhing
when we got there, and had to euth-ed on the spot. He was within his
rights to remove the cat from his property, yes. But he could have
called Animal Control. Also, year-old calves deprived of water until
their tongues swell in 90-degree heat, then turned loose in a dead
run and having their necks jerked so severely it sometimes breaks
them, fits my definition of abuse. But around here they call it a
rodeo.

Sherry

Calves liver is pretty good with horseradish/mayo and grilled onions. ;^)

UGH liver and onions! I feel like Im back at home again... I always got
out of eating it until my sister moved back home with her 3 kids and gave
them the "You can't leave the table until you finish your meal and you need
to try a little of everything," speech and then it applied to me b/c I had
to "set an example" for them. *shUddEr*

Old May 12th 05, 12:00 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

blueberries79 wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...
On 2005-05-11,
penned:

[...]

Love liver (hold the onions), both beef & chicken. Mom too. But Sis, she
like chicken *gizzards*.... Dad & Bro barely tolerated liver, and I
wouldn't touch gizzards :P

Old May 12th 05, 12:13 AM
Helen Miles

"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net

I'd be the first person on the block to have a Persian with a body Crew Cut.
LOL Little butchwax down the backside ... Hahhahhaha.

That's not such a dumb idea. I have a friend with 2 persians, and every
6 months they get a crew cut by a professional groomer. It's solved the
problem of un-brushable matted fur.

Helen M

Old May 12th 05, 04:32 AM
Philip

Helen Miles wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net

I'd be the first person on the block to have a Persian with a body
Crew Cut. LOL Little butchwax down the backside ... Hahhahhaha.

That's not such a dumb idea. I have a friend with 2 persians, and
every 6 months they get a crew cut by a professional groomer. It's
solved the problem of un-brushable matted fur.

Helen M

Yup... shaved pussy cat. Do a Desert Storm Marine shave head (medium on the
topside, very trim on the sides) and shave all but the tail where we leave a
furball on the end, spray painted kaki camouflage. How about a pair of
mirrored sunglasses? }B^)

Old May 12th 05, 04:32 AM
Philip

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
blueberries79 wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...
On 2005-05-11,
penned:

[...]

Chicken livers, lamb kidneys, with baked beans. Where it not for the baked
beans, my last cat would insist on sharing my meal!

Old May 12th 05, 04:32 AM
Philip

blueberries79 wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...
On 2005-05-11,
penned:

[...]

Hey, it's not like she was shoving kreplach down your gullet with a milk
chaser, ya know!! LOL

Old May 12th 05, 02:36 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Philip wrote:
Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
blueberries79 wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...
On 2005-05-11,
penned:

[...]

Last time I fixed myself a plate of fried chicken livers - I almost didn't
get any myself! I had to fix a small plate for Moocher Moe, adn then one
for Smokey (heaven help us if they share), and then Weeble, Ernie, Mimi,
Tennessee, Ping & Lizzie wanted a taste, too. Gonna have to get me a large
cage & assemble it around the table, to keep the cats *away* from us when we
eat. Ever see sharks at a feeding frenzy???? Or Pirhanna??? Imagine that,
only on the kitchen floor, and they're furry-cute cats, instead of sharks!

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©