Healthy cat losing weight?

Old February 2nd 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Healthy cat losing weight?

Yes, you're right, Perry. After 10 years, a cat is geriatric and more
vulnerable to many diseases.
Gail
"Perry Justus" wrote in message
On 2 Feb 2006 01:40:51 +0100, "cybercat" wrote:

"Perry Justus" wrote
Jeeze... I should've known better than to even ask without going through

the usenet archives first.

Sorry for frustrating you. Weight loss when a cat is eating as usual is
just
such a typical sign of illness, some serious, some not so. I am also sorry
about your financial situation, I have been there. She does need to see a
vet, though. There is just no way around it.

It's okay. It just really is frustrating, especially when one has as
many cats as I have and not enough cash. Luckily, most of them have
been extremely healthy (*knocks on wood*), so they've rarely had to
see the vet, but most of them are nearing the 10 year mark or older,
so I can just imagine all the problems that will start popping up...

Perry

Old February 2nd 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:15:58 GMT, "Gail" wrote:

Yes, you're right, Perry. After 10 years, a cat is geriatric and more
vulnerable to many diseases.
Gail

10 years?! Are you sure? Cats can live to be 25-30 sometimes.

Perry
Old February 2nd 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:16:43 -0600, Perry Justus
wrote:
snip

I forgot to mention this, but could it be possible that she's lost
weight because she's eating better food? She was overweight from the
time she was two until just a few months ago, and last year we started
feeding her better food because our youngest cat couldn't tolerate any
other type of food. She went from eating Meow Mix, etc. to Royal
Canin on a regular basis last year.

Perry
Old February 2nd 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Perry Justus" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:15:58 GMT, "Gail" wrote:

Yes, you're right, Perry. After 10 years, a cat is geriatric and more
vulnerable to many diseases.
Gail

10 years?! Are you sure? Cats can live to be 25-30 sometimes.

Perry

My cat precious just lived to almost 20 years we have had other cat go
past 20

Old February 2nd 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Perry

Please take her to the vet. My last kitty was 20 years and 3 months
when we had to put him to sleep. He started loosing weight when he was
about 18 - hyperthyroid. Simple blood test. Meds to alter it. I
think they say cats are geriatric at 8-10 years.

The type of food would not cause the weight loss.

Old February 2nd 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Perry Justus wrote in

Hi,

I have a twelve and a half year old cat who seems to be losing weight
despite the fact that she has a big appetite, plays a lot, and
generally seems healthy. She's been somewhat overweight (not obese)
since she had her second litter of kittens in 1994 but as of late she
feels like she's dropped a number of pounds and has, if you'll excuse
my crassness, very saggy titties. She seems particularly boney around
her shoulders, but I can't really feel her spine and her ribs without
applying some pressure. What's the deal? Is it just mid-age? If
she's sick with something, she doesn't show it, because she seems a
lot more active than some of my other cats. Also, her coat is
healthier than it's been in years, for some odd reason.

Thanks,
Perry

Sounds identical to what we went through with our cat Tuffy when he was
about 16. I turned out his kidneys were starting to go, but he lived
happily for another year after diagnosis.
Old February 2nd 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Perry Justus" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 17:20:59 -0700, "Corey Kaye"
wrote:

Perry Justus wrote:

I already said that she's twelve and a half. (Reread my original
post!) If she's eating, and active, and seems normal, what could be
the problem?

Just off the top of my non-expert head: hyperthyroidism, cancer, heart
disease, lung disease, infection, worms...

Take the cat to the vet

Corey

Jeeze... I should've known better than to even ask without going
through the usenet archives first. She'll be going to the vet ASAP,
but we're basically poor and still paying out money for visits that
happened last year (plus, the vet office has had a notice up on the
wall that they won't allow anyone to pay later anymore, so we're
pushing it -- I think our vet was the only one in town who would even
let people do it in the first place).

Perry

People are not trying to be insulting to you. The problem is, no one can
diagnose anything from a distance; and *every* cat should be seen annually.
Just as I see a doctor regularly, I also take my cats in for routine exams.
It will be much less expensive for you -- and more "treatable" for the
cat -- if you catch potential problems early and not wait until progression
to a major problem.

Yes, I did read your statement that you are strapped for funds, and I am not
making light of it. However, a cat that "seems normal" could still have
medical issues -- and the fact that you said she has lost several pounds
could be an important symptom. "Several pounds" on a cat is a *very big*
change. For example, you say that she has always been somewhat overweight.
So, if she weighs 15 pounds and has lost 3 for unexplained reasons, that
means a loss of 20 percent of her body weight. Now, think about what that
would translate into if the same thing were to happen to you. Surely you
would want to check with a physician even if you felt fine. (And, it is
also important to recognize that your cat may not feel as well as you
presume. Cats are well-known to hide pain and discomfort as long as
possible.)

MaryL

Old February 2nd 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Perry Justus wrote:
I already said that she's twelve and a half. (Reread my original
post!) If she's eating, and active, and seems normal, what could be
the problem?

I would highly recommend she get a complete physical exam and full
blood panel done. There is no way otherwise to really tell what is
wrong with her. At this point, you'd just be guessing. The good news
is that if you catch it early, whatever might be wrong can most likely
be treated.

LAUREN

Old February 2nd 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Are you writing to a cat news group for a diagnosis? Am I even spelling
that word correctly? Please, take your cat to a vet.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,